Stop That Coach! ESPN's Rick Reilly's Take on Yates Coach Greg Wise

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to this site many times primarily to check scores, updates and schedules.  However, after reading about Coach Wise and some of the comments made in his defense I felt compelled to open an account and voice my opinion (it will be worth what you paid).

I think Coach Wise is completley wrong in what he is doing.  I have heard it said many times that players get better by playing better competition.  If in fact Coach Wise is continuing to press and use starters when his team has an insurmountable lead his kids are not getting better by doing so.  If his team is in fact 15 deep (I have no doubt that it is) and his 10 - 15 are better than most schools 1-5 why not work on his team's running game and press in practice where the atheletes are better than the competition being faced in games, that is, if the reason for what he is doing is to get better which I doubt.  His team has obviously mastered running and pressing, if he wants to make his players better why not make them more well rounded players by mastering another style of play.

I have also read a couple of comments stating it is better to have these kids beating their opponents by 100 points rather then beating them in the streets or killing them on the court rather than killing them in the streets.  Those comments are the most racist I have heard.  If these players are so undisciplined and have such a lack of regard for humanity we have bigger problems than Coach Wise. I have never seen or met any of these players and I can't believe this is the case I think the comments are those from someone trying to justify what is being done and can't  come up with a valid argument.
The reason they cannot come up with a valid argument is that there is not one.

I think any team should take the court or field and paly all out to win and I have no problem with convincing victories.  But continuing to press a team with a huge lead or to call a time out late in the game when the win is inevitable, simply to break 100 shows a complete lack of class and sportsmanship.  I don't think Coach Wise should tell his kids to stop shooting or not to play defense when they have a huge lead but they should  stop pressing  and drop back and play defense.

If Coach Wise is sincerely interested in these kids he should teach them things that are more important than basketball, things like sportsmanship, class, honor and integrity.

[quote name="im on fire" post="775971" timestamp="1268405173"]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=67188.msg775693#msg775693 date=1268349135]
[quote author=im on fire link=topic=67188.msg775670#msg775670 date=1268346127]
HE ALSO SAID " IM HERE TO WIN GAMES IF WE SCORE 100 POINTS A GAME THEN THAT MEANS WE WIN"  looks like he doing his JOB to me.  if he was at your school breaking these records i bet we would have a totally different convo, but its your schools they are beating so its a bad thing.
[/quote]

it's none of "my" teams that he's beating. i'm going to assume you mean "white" schools. he's actually beating up on other minorities.  that's not at all the issue to me.  and if he was at "my" school, doing the same thing, not only would i have a problem with it, the principal and superintendent, both great basketball players in their day, would most likely put a stop to it.  if not, i'd have an issue with them as well.
[/quote]

are you racist?  where in my post did i mention anything about white or black schools.  you seem to have a problem with color, you pull that card in a couple post youve made.   youre not great unless someone is bad mouthing you....GREAT JOB YATES.
[/quote]

i'm a huge racist.  i teach inner city pre-k.  i haven't had a white student in 4 years.  yup, big racist.  i just wanted to know what you meant by "your schools".  sounded like you were trying to talk about white schools.  i don't really know what else you could've beent talking about.  if you'd read through my posts, the "race card" is something that i've been trying to say should not be pulled.  it continues to be done, though, in veiled little references.  and it's not "my" people that's doing it. 

[quote name="bullets13000" post="775961" timestamp="1268404086"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67188.msg775960#msg775960 date=1268404051]
It's just hard for some people to witness [color=red]change[/color]
[/quote]

what kind of change, exactly?
[/quote]

bluedove?

[quote name="Puma" post="776092" timestamp="1268418956"]
I have been to this site many times primarily to check scores, updates and schedules.  However, after reading about Coach Wise and some of the comments made in his defense I felt compelled to open an account and voice my opinion (it will be worth what you paid).

I think Coach Wise is completley wrong in what he is doing.  I have heard it said many times that players get better by playing better competition.  If in fact Coach Wise is continuing to press and use starters when his team has an insurmountable lead his kids are not getting better by doing so.  If his team is in fact 15 deep (I have no doubt that it is) and his 10 - 15 are better than most schools 1-5 why not work on his team's running game and press in practice where the atheletes are better than the competition being faced in games, that is, if the reason for what he is doing is to get better which I doubt.  His team has obviously mastered running and pressing, if he wants to make his players better why not make them more well rounded players by mastering another style of play.

I have also read a couple of comments stating it is better to have these kids beating their opponents by 100 points rather then beating them in the streets or killing them on the court rather than killing them in the streets.  Those comments are the most racist I have heard.  If these players are so undisciplined and have such a lack of regard for humanity we have bigger problems than Coach Wise. I have never seen or met any of these players and I can't believe this is the case I think the comments are those from someone trying to justify what is being done and can't  come up with a valid argument.

I think any team should take the court or field and paly all out to win and I have no problem with convincing victories.  But continuing to press a team with a huge lead or to call a time out late in the game when the win is inevitable, simply to break 100 shows a complete lack of class and sportsmanship.  I don't think Coach Wise should tell his kids to stop shooting or not to play defense when they have a huge lead but they should  stop pressing  and drop back and play defense.

If Coach Wise is sincerely interested in these kids he should teach them things that are more important than basketball, things like sportsmanship, class, honor and integrity.
[/quote]Coach Wise, keep up the good work! "If in fact?" Then, you really haven't seen Yates play have you? Starters? Go see a game and see how many of their players actually play. So you think the team should work on their running game "in practice" with the  non-starters? Who do you think they practice against every week, Fella? Mastering another style of play? Hmm, If you knew Yates' history, this is the style they have played since I can remember playing against them and beyond. No one said the players were "undisciplined."  Let me stop here because you haven't seen a thing you're talking about. Only what you have read about!

YEAH "YOUR SCHOOL" WAS MENT TO BE RACIST.  ???  im not sure how you come up with this, but hey if you want to think/talk negative on a very solid program go for it.  i sure wont stop you.  i will make it simple for you though, so maybe you get a clear picture....."your school" means ANY school in the nation.  Yates broke a hundro at the state game....i bet if they score 100 in the final game they will be champs...again.

[quote name="im on fire" post="776106" timestamp="1268421446"]
YEAH "YOUR SCHOOL" WAS MENT TO BE RACIST.  ???   im not sure how you come up with this, but hey if you want to think/talk negative on a very solid program go for it.  i sure wont stop you.  i will make it simple for you though, so maybe you get a clear picture....."your school" means ANY school in the nation.   Yates broke a hundro at the state game....i bet if they score 100 in the final game they will be champs...again.
[/quote]

all i wanted was an explanation.  there have been several comments that basically boil down to  "you people" don't care when (insert white school here) runs up the score.  although there's nothing to back these comments up, the general point of these posts is "you're a racist because you only care that Yates is doing this because they're black".  this is the furthest thing from the truth in my case, and i erroneously thought you were making a similar allusion with your post.  now that you've explained, i see that i was wrong.  my apologies.  i get my feathers ruffled when people keep hinting at me being racist.  as for my talking negatively towards a very solid program, I WILL in fact continue to do so.  I have no problem with the kids, but the way the coach does things is despicable, in MY opinion. 

OF just beat Liberty 24-2 in baseball. They should have just went to the plate and purposely struck out everytime once they were up by 15.

I'm not saying Yates winning 175-35 (Not sure if that is the correct score) is right or pressing the whole game when you destroying the other team is right but it is the way he wants to play. It will more than likely come back at him one day.

[quote name="Rizon" post="776110" timestamp="1268421979"]
OF just beat Liberty 24-2 in baseball. They should have just went to the plate and purposely struck out everytime once they were up by 15.

I'm not saying Yates winning 175-35 (Not sure if that is the correct score) is right or pressing the whole game when you destroying the other team is right but it is the way he wants to play. It will more than likely come back at him one day.

[/quote]

i don't agree with OF scoring that many runs.  the difference being that in basketball you have options of easing up, slowing the ball down, calling off the press, etc etc.  in baseball, there's no way to slow things down to minimize the damage APART from actually asking the kids to purposefully fail.  each team is going to have to make 3 outs each inning, regardless of the score.  The good thing is that there is a mercy rule, which helps.  asking your players to intentionally strike out is a far cry from not pressing in basketball, or holding the ball a little longer before shooting to slow the game down, which is ALL Wise would have to do to gain the respect that his coaching record would deserve if he would show just a bit of class and humility. 

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="776101" timestamp="1268420137"]
[quote author=Puma link=topic=67188.msg776092#msg776092 date=1268418956]
I have been to this site many times primarily to check scores, updates and schedules.  However, after reading about Coach Wise and some of the comments made in his defense I felt compelled to open an account and voice my opinion (it will be worth what you paid).

I think Coach Wise is completley wrong in what he is doing.  I have heard it said many times that players get better by playing better competition.  If in fact Coach Wise is continuing to press and use starters when his team has an insurmountable lead his kids are not getting better by doing so.  If his team is in fact 15 deep (I have no doubt that it is) and his 10 - 15 are better than most schools 1-5 why not work on his team's running game and press in practice where the atheletes are better than the competition being faced in games, that is, if the reason for what he is doing is to get better which I doubt.  His team has obviously mastered running and pressing, if he wants to make his players better why not make them more well rounded players by mastering another style of play.

I have also read a couple of comments stating it is better to have these kids beating their opponents by 100 points rather then beating them in the streets or killing them on the court rather than killing them in the streets.  Those comments are the most racist I have heard.  If these players are so undisciplined and have such a lack of regard for humanity we have bigger problems than Coach Wise. I have never seen or met any of these players and I can't believe this is the case I think the comments are those from someone trying to justify what is being done and can't  come up with a valid argument.

I think any team should take the court or field and paly all out to win and I have no problem with convincing victories.  But continuing to press a team with a huge lead or to call a time out late in the game when the win is inevitable, simply to break 100 shows a complete lack of class and sportsmanship.  I don't think Coach Wise should tell his kids to stop shooting or not to play defense when they have a huge lead but they should  stop pressing  and drop back and play defense.

[/quote]Coach Wise, keep up the good work! "If in fact?" Then, you really haven't seen Yates play have you? Starters? Go see a game and see how many of their players actually play. So you think the team should work on their running game "in practice" with the  non-starters? Who do you think they practice against every week, Fella? Mastering another style of play? Hmm, If you knew Yates' history, this is the style they have played since I can remember playing against them and beyond. No one said the players were "undisciplined."  Let me stop here because you haven't seen a thing you're talking about. Only what you have read about!
[/quote]

Blue, I apologize that I did not make myself more clear for you when I stated "after reading about Coach Wise" and "I have never met or seen any of these players". I thought it was abundantley clear that I was commenting on what I have been reading.

[quote name="bullets13000" post="776113" timestamp="1268422585"]
[quote author=Rizon link=topic=67188.msg776110#msg776110 date=1268421979]

[/quote]

i don't agree with OF scoring that many runs.  the difference being that in basketball you have options of easing up, slowing the ball down, calling off the press, etc etc.  in baseball, there's no way to slow things down to minimize the damage APART from actually asking the kids to purposefully fail.  each team is going to have to make 3 outs each inning, regardless of the score.  The good thing is that there is a mercy rule, which helps.  asking your players to intentionally strike out is a far cry from not pressing in basketball, or holding the ball a little longer before shooting to slow the game down, which is ALL Wise would have to do to gain the respect that his coaching record would deserve if he would show just a bit of class and humility. 
[/quote]

Bullets makes some good points.  Asking a kid to purposely strike out is entirely different than pulling back a press.  I would also disagree with OF beating Liberty 24-2 if, with a comfortable lead in the later innings of the game OF tried to strectch singles into doubles, advanced on passed balls, continued to try to steal bases,  executed hit and runs or tried to squeeze in runs.

[quote name="Puma" post="776146" timestamp="1268426165"]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=67188.msg776113#msg776113 date=1268422585]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bullets makes some good points.  Asking a kid to purposely strike out is entirely different than pulling back a press.  I would also disagree with OF beating Liberty 24-2 if, with a comfortable lead in the later innings of the game OF tried to [b]strectch singles into doubles, advanced on passed balls, continued to try to steal bases,  executed hit and runs or tried to squeeze in runs.[/b][/quote]

very good point.

[quote name="Rizon" post="776110" timestamp="1268421979"]

[/quote]It may come back on him. But he's the one who has to deal with it. He may be the type of person who candish it out and take it back too! Nothing wrong with this.

[quote name="bullets13000" post="776113" timestamp="1268422585"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was being completely sarcastic saying they should go up there and strike out. I agree that he should pull off the press when he is up so much, but it's the way he wants to coach...so let it be.

[quote name="bullets13000" post="776147" timestamp="1268426242"]
[quote author=Puma link=topic=67188.msg776146#msg776146 date=1268426165]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=67188.msg776113#msg776113 date=1268422585]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bullets makes some good points.  Asking a kid to purposely strike out is entirely different than pulling back a press.  I would also disagree with OF beating Liberty 24-2 if, with a comfortable lead in the later innings of the game OF tried to [b]strectch singles into doubles, advanced on passed balls, continued to try to steal bases,  executed hit and runs or tried to squeeze in runs.[/b][/quote]

very good point.
[/quote]

i coach a select baseball team and with statement that has been bolded....i see this on a coaches POV.....if you hit a single and turn it into a DBL, thats good base running, slap on the butt for that. good job kid.....as for advancing on pass balls...if that ball passes the catcher, i dont care what the score, their butt better be on the next bag....i see OF here with that big of a lead working on their small ball.... examples them stealing bases and squeeze plays....i dont knock any team by any means but, a good quailty team shouldnt have to not play as hard just because they are better than the other, in any sport.

[quote name="im on fire" post="776520" timestamp="1268489141"]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=67188.msg776147#msg776147 date=1268426242]
[quote author=Puma link=topic=67188.msg776146#msg776146 date=1268426165]

[/quote]

[/quote]

very good point.
[/quote]

i coach a select baseball team and with statement that has been bolded....i see this on a coaches POV.....if you hit a single and turn it into a DBL, thats good base running, slap on the butt for that. good job kid.....as for advancing on pass balls...if that ball passes the catcher, i dont care what the score, their butt better be on the next bag....i see OF here with that big of a lead working on their small ball.... examples them stealing bases and squeeze plays....i dont knock any team by any means but, a good quailty team shouldnt have to not play as hard just because they are better than the other, in any sport.
[/quote]

So you agree with coach Wise as well?

yes i do.  you play to win, you coach to win....dont change your coaching or playing just because you have lead....i dont tell kids hey youre better than them so dont play as hard today.  im not ok with losing, never have been.  if you are ok with losing then youre not a winner.  i do teach though, that when you are up with a good lead to start perfecting your game working on the small things,  this may lead up to more runs or it may not, its about how the kids take it.  WHAT ARE RECORDS IF THEY CANT BE BROKEN?

[quote name="homeless" post="775841" timestamp="1268366961"]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=67188.msg775693#msg775693 date=1268349135]
HE ALSO SAID " IM HERE TO WIN GAMES IF WE SCORE 100 POINTS A GAME THEN THAT MEANS WE WIN"  looks like he doing his JOB to me.  if he was at your school breaking these records i bet we would have a totally different convo, but its your schools they are beating so its a bad thing.
[/quote]

it's none of "my" teams that he's beating. i'm going to assume you mean "white" schools. he's actually beating up on other minorities.  that's not at all the issue to me.  and if he was at "my" school, doing the same thing, not only would i have a problem with it, the principal and superintendent, both great basketball players in their day, would most likely put a stop to it.  if not, i'd have an issue with them as well.
[/quote] Note to self: beware of bullet's assumptions. They are used to construct "straw man" arguments that he then addresses when no one else brought them up. Review previous note re: logic vs bullet: the two don't go well together. At all
[/quote] Oh Lordy, now bullet says he's a teacher. Can only hope he's kidding.

[quote name="homeless" post="776570" timestamp="1268499529"]
[quote author=homeless link=topic=67188.msg775841#msg775841 date=1268366961]
[/quote]

it's none of "my" teams that he's beating. i'm going to assume you mean "white" schools. he's actually beating up on other minorities.  that's not at all the issue to me.  and if he was at "my" school, doing the same thing, not only would i have a problem with it, the principal and superintendent, both great basketball players in their day, would most likely put a stop to it.  if not, i'd have an issue with them as well.
[/quote] Note to self: beware of bullet's assumptions. They are used to construct "straw man" arguments that he then addresses when no one else brought them up. Review previous note re: logic vs bullet: the two don't go well together. At all
[/quote]

thanks for the insult.  no, i'm not kidding, and i'm very good at it.  i  invite you to come visit my room some time.  i've already apologized to you once for misinterpreting your post, but i can do nothing for you about your inability to read into the posts of others.  if you want to attack my opinions, feel free.  if you continue to attack me personally, you're going to have a short stay on this board. 

[quote name="bullets13000" post="776663" timestamp="1268514775"]
[quote author=homeless link=topic=67188.msg776570#msg776570 date=1268499529]
[/quote]

it's none of "my" teams that he's beating. i'm going to assume you mean "white" schools. he's actually beating up on other minorities.  that's not at all the issue to me.  and if he was at "my" school, doing the same thing, not only would i have a problem with it, the principal and superintendent, both great basketball players in their day, would most likely put a stop to it.  if not, i'd have an issue with them as well.
[/quote]

thanks for the insult.  no, i'm not kidding, and i'm very good at it.  i  invite you to come visit my room some time.  i've already apologized to you once for misinterpreting your post, but i can do nothing for you about your inability to read into the posts of others.  if you want to attack my opinions, feel free.  if you continue to attack me personally, you're going to have a short stay on this board. 
[/quote] what insult??? go ahead and pull rank on me, that's the whimpy way out. I was addressing your fuzzy logic and then the fact that you're also a teacher made that issue even bigger. Get it yet? You can always shut me up (i.e. bullying) but you'd be better off addessing THE ISSUE than trying to make this personal. Its another example of you using "the straw man argument" (i.e. create something I didn't say, then addressing that rather than what I really said and meant).

Orangefield destroys someone in baseball. Its a big deal for a few days. Yates destroys someone in hoops. Its a big deal for a month or two. You naysayers need to get a grip. These kids aren't permanently damaged in any way whatsoever. IN FACT, I GUARANTEE you that in 10 years -- maybe less -- some of those Houston Lee players will BRAG, "Yeah I played against that unbelievable Yates Natl champ team. They were THAT good. They crushed us us so bad...."   Also, somewhere out there, a former HS CB is bragging that HE was the one on that viral/ESPN football youtube video when Cy-Fair's Sam ??? hurdled over. I was in a downtown Houston high rise, thick-carpet law office a while back when two of us got off on 1970's high school hoops and the lead mega-priced attorney across the table starts bragging on how his Clear Creek team lost to Jackie Carr's Wheatley Wildcats by less than anyone else in the state that year. We even did the Wheatley clap-whisper-chant for the whole room. ITS ALL F-U-N. That's the epitome of kids sports. Even kids without that perspective at the time gain that perspective over time. Adults should already have such perspective. All y'all should try it. If y'all had ANY CONSISTENCY AT ALL, you'd call for the resignation of the UIL Executive Director, but if course "that's different."  Loopy logic ABOUNDS. One FURTHER example from this thread: Rick Reilly tries to connect a shooting incident to Yates coaching style and NO ONE ADMITS ITS OVER THE TOP. Perspective, gentlemen, perspective. Try keeping things in proportion. This might be my last post here because a moderator disagrees with me. Perspective

[quote name="homeless" post="776873" timestamp="1268570042"]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=67188.msg776663#msg776663 date=1268514775]
[quote author=homeless link=topic=67188.msg776570#msg776570 date=1268499529]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] [b]what insult???[/b] go ahead and pull rank on me, that's the whimpy way out. I was addressing your fuzzy logic and then the fact that you're also a teacher made that issue even bigger. Get it yet? You can always shut me up (i.e. bullying) but you'd be better off addessing THE ISSUE than trying to make this personal. Its another example of you using "the straw man argument" (i.e. create something I didn't say, then addressing that rather than what I really said and meant).
[/quote]

the insult was your blatant disrespect for my being a teacher, and the insinuation that i would be bad at it based on one post i've made.  i've made several valid posts on two or three different threads about "THE ISSUE" that you've chosen not to address.  you're still hung up on one post.  it has nothing to do with pulling rank to win an argument.  if you do the same thing to anyone else, you'll be gone as well.  as for my "fuzzy logic", that was intentionally fuzzy to prove a point.  "but he said he was going to run up the score before the season started!" was used as a defense of Wise's coaching decisions.  My post was meant to show that saying you're going to do something before you do it doesn't make it right.  Obviously, robbing a house is not the same as running up a score in a basketball game.  The point was made, however, and several people were able to read into that post and get the point i was trying to make. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin