Stop That Coach! ESPN's Rick Reilly's Take on Yates Coach Greg Wise

I am not generally a spiteful man. I pat toddlers' haircuts, donate to the glee club and mostly greet the world with open arms.

But when I think of coach Greg Wise of Houston's Yates High School, I become darker than Johnny Cash's closet.

The things I would like to do to Coach Wise would curl an executioner's toes. For starters, I'd like to see him dipped in seal butter and dropped into a polar bear's cage.

Coach Wise is the hammerhead who believes it's his right to toast other basketball teams by 100 points. Sometimes more. He thumped Lee High School this season by 135 points, 170-35. Wise's team was up at the half, 100-12. And full-court pressed to the very end!

Wise is to sportsmanship what tsunamis are to beach chairs. So far this season, he's beaten teams by 135, 115, 99 (twice), 98, 90 and 88 points. Trying to get to 100 points in a crushing of Westbury, his players intentionally fouled to stop the clock.

I'd like to clock him.

If Wise doesn't stop, somebody's going to get hurt. In a Feb. 20 home game, Wise refused to pull his foot off the accelerator in a 132-68 fricasseeing of Booker T. Washington. Nobody likes to be humiliated, and this includes fans. Like at some of Yates' games, there was fighting. This time it happened in the parking lot afterward. Shots were fired, though nobody was hurt. This time.

He's beaten teams by 135, 115 and 99 -- twice.

What's it going to take for Houston Independent School District officials to stop Wise? Or suspend him? What's it going to take before Yates principal Ronald Mumphery grows a pair and disciplines his coach? Somebody dying? "These are tough kids from a tough part of town," says Jacques Armant, coach at Lee, which also lost to Yates by 99. "Beatings like this can turn out to be real dangerous."

At the very least, USA Today ought to remove Yates from its national rankings -- the school is No. 1 -- as a statement about basic sports decency. That'd be the un-Wise thing to do.

This is not war. This is not the pros. There's no bonus for belittling young men in front of their parents and girlfriends. These kids are getting their pants yanked down in front of the whole playground. They don't deserve it.

"A lot of my kids went into a kind of depression after [losing by 135]," says Armant. "They thought the game was over, but when you turn on your radio and every deejay is saying how you got beat for an all-time record, it hurts. I took one kid home, and he said, 'Coach, can you please turn the radio off? I can't take it anymore.'"

On second thought, I'd like Wise to spend a day as a speed bump in the Lee parking lot.

I was unable to reach Wise or Principal Mumphery, but Wise has defended himself by saying he practices pressing and trapping, and that doing anything else during the game would be bad coaching. He's said that all 15 of his players -- 11 of them seniors -- play. "The [third string] deserves the chance to play hard and compete too," Wise has said.

Yes, those kids deserve to play hard and compete -- every day in scrimmages against the best team in Texas. In games against schools with no chance, they need to back off. Basketball isn't Greg Wise's personal vanity mirror. He needs to say, "We're going to work on passing. Anyone shoots and they're running stairs at the Astrodome."

But Wise won't say that because Wise is about Wise. He's after records. He wants teenage scalps. He tried to break the record for most 100-point games in a row (and failed). He did set the state record for points in one game (170).

And I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for the national record of 211. If he gets it, I hope they add an *:

*Set by Yates High School, Classless of 2010.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they only get to go to high school once and they are just out there having fun. Like he says all of his players play so if the third string can go in there and score then ok let them. They come from one of the roughest parts of Houston, basketball is an escape from a lot of other things they can be doing. We would much rather see them out here beating teams by 100 than beating other kids in the streets, so let them do what they have to do. If you rotate starters in when your up by 60 who cares there just out here trying to get a scholarship.

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="774735" timestamp="1268261011"]
Isn't this coach bashing or does that only apply to certain coaches?
[/quote]

maybe, but it's from espn, it's not like i'm voicing my own opinion (i don't need to, mr. reilly did it for me)

the yates team is ranked #1 in the nation....MAYBE JUST MAYBE they are that good....just because the other teams cant hang with them then maybe they need to STEP UP the playing.  if the team is pressing and they up by 70, let em keep pressing until they break it.  just because a more talented team beats another not as talented dont take it out on the better team.....these kids are trying to earn a shot at playing college ball....but lets tell them to slow down cause other kids cant keep up...try getting into college like that...it wont happen.  i hope they score 100+ in the final 2 games of the season and blow out the other team in the finals...keep on pushing these kids coach...i would rather see these kids kill people on the court then kill people on the street.  if you wanna play yates....YOU BETTER BRING IT. 

[quote name="im on fire" post="775330" timestamp="1268333046"]
the yates team is ranked #1 in the nation....MAYBE JUST MAYBE they are that good....just because the other teams cant hang with them then maybe they need to STEP UP the playing.  if the team is pressing and they up by 70, let em keep pressing until they break it.  just because a more talented team beats another not as talented dont take it out on the better team.....[b]these kids are trying to earn a shot at playing college ball[/b]....but lets tell them to slow down cause other kids cant keep up...try getting into college like that...it wont happen.  i hope they score 100+ in the final 2 games of the season and blow out the other team in the finals...keep on pushing these kids coach...i would rather see these kids kill people on the court then kill people on the street.  if you wanna play yates....YOU BETTER BRING IT. 
[/quote]

only learning to play one type of basketball, and beating up on weak teams isn't going to prepare them for college basketball.  when they do get to their college teams, they're going to have to completely re-tool their game to learn how to play in half-court offenses and defenses.  they'll be going against equal and superior athletes, and the only thing that they've been taught to do while playing high school ball isn't going to be enough for them to succeed.  in the end it will be up to their natural abilities and the abilities of their college coaches to make them successful. 

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="774776" timestamp="1268264319"]
I played at a school that we beat ppl by a lot at times and I played at a school where we got beat by a lot at times neither side of the spectrum had a serious negative effect honestly the games lost by small margins hurt worse than getting strummed
[/quote]

I agree with your comments, I have felt the same way. I do understand the mentality that he wants the kids to have, I just wish he would teach a little humility as well.

[quote name="bullets13000" post="775340" timestamp="1268333620"]
[quote author=im on fire link=topic=67188.msg775330#msg775330 date=1268333046]
the yates team is ranked #1 in the nation....MAYBE JUST MAYBE they are that good....just because the other teams cant hang with them then maybe they need to STEP UP the playing.  if the team is pressing and they up by 70, let em keep pressing until they break it.  just because a more talented team beats another not as talented dont take it out on the better team.....[b]these kids are trying to earn a shot at playing college ball[/b]....but lets tell them to slow down cause other kids cant keep up...try getting into college like that...it wont happen.  i hope they score 100+ in the final 2 games of the season and blow out the other team in the finals...keep on pushing these kids coach...i would rather see these kids kill people on the court then kill people on the street.  if you wanna play yates....YOU BETTER BRING IT. 
[/quote]

only learning to play one type of basketball, and beating up on weak teams isn't going to prepare them for college basketball.  when they do get to their college teams, they're going to have to completely re-tool their game to learn how to play in half-court offenses and defenses.  they'll be going against equal and superior athletes, and the only thing that they've been taught to do while playing high school ball isn't going to be enough for them to succeed.  in the end it will be up to their natural abilities and the abilities of their college coaches to make them successful. 

Thats the thing these kids know how to play more than one way of basketball, thats how they got to the point they are at.  every highschooler, ofcourse, has to revamp their game when they get into college its faster the talent has stepped up...this yates team is a great team.   if they werent so great we wouldnt be talking about them.  
[/quote]

[quote name="Rizon" post="775558" timestamp="1268341968"]
I'm not saying I agree with his method but it's his method...didn't he say before the season started that his team was after scoring records? I could be wrong.
[/quote]

so if i tell you i'm going to come rob your house, it's cool, as long as i tell you first, right?

[quote name="bullets13000" post="775573" timestamp="1268342282"]
[quote author=Rizon link=topic=67188.msg775558#msg775558 date=1268341968]
I'm not saying I agree with his method but it's his method...didn't he say before the season started that his team was after scoring records? I could be wrong.
[/quote]

so if i tell you i'm going to come rob your house, it's cool, as long as i tell you first, right?
[/quote] Note to self: never take logic lessons from bullet.

[quote name="bullets13000" post="775573" timestamp="1268342282"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Coach wise isn't doing anything wrong robbing a house is wrong

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="775594" timestamp="1268342716"]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=67188.msg775573#msg775573 date=1268342282]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

what you meant to say was "in my opinion, Coach wise isn't doing anything wrong"

[quote name="bullets13000" post="775597" timestamp="1268342756"]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=67188.msg775594#msg775594 date=1268342716]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=67188.msg775573#msg775573 date=1268342282]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

what you meant to say was "in my opinion, Coach wise isn't doing anything wrong"
[/quote]

Hes harming no one and nothing therefore its not wrong

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="775604" timestamp="1268342972"]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=67188.msg775597#msg775597 date=1268342756]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=67188.msg775594#msg775594 date=1268342716]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hes harming no one and nothing therefore its not wrong
[/quote]

that's entirely your opinion.

[quote name="homeless" post="775584" timestamp="1268342517"]
[/quote]

[/quote] Note to self: never take logic lessons from bullet.
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D

HE ALSO SAID " IM HERE TO WIN GAMES IF WE SCORE 100 POINTS A GAME THEN THAT MEANS WE WIN"  looks like he doing his JOB to me.  if he was at your school breaking these records i bet we would have a totally different convo, but its your schools they are beating so its a bad thing.

[quote name="im on fire" post="775670" timestamp="1268346127"]
HE ALSO SAID " IM HERE TO WIN GAMES IF WE SCORE 100 POINTS A GAME THEN THAT MEANS WE WIN"  looks like he doing his JOB to me.  if he was at your school breaking these records i bet we would have a totally different convo, but its your schools they are beating so its a bad thing.
[/quote]

it's none of "my" teams that he's beating. i'm going to assume you mean "white" schools. he's actually beating up on other minorities.  that's not at all the issue to me.  and if he was at "my" school, doing the same thing, not only would i have a problem with it, the principal and superintendent, both great basketball players in their day, would most likely put a stop to it.  if not, i'd have an issue with them as well.

Have any of you actually driven over to watch these guys play.  I have.  Totally impressed, they are all business.  The game I saw they were up by 23 at the half and the opposing coach had to be impressed by the way his team was playing.  They don't throw it in your face, they didn't seem cocky, they just played defense.  As soon as they score, and I mean as soon as the ball goes below the rim, they're playing D.  They don't shoot layups to warm up before the game, they do defensive drills.  I heard that for the entire half of a game they ran sprints because the coach was unhappy with the way some players shot freethrows.  Never laft the court, just stayed out there and ran.  Still scored a hundred.  It's not that they are so much better than other teams, they just are relentless.  When you catch the ball you've got two guys coming at you.  The whole game.  Every time you inbound the ball you have to be perfect.  They just force teams into situations they probably have never been in.  Should they back off on the scoring, probably, but I bet there are plenty of those guys who got beat by a hundred who are texting their friends to tell them about playng Yates.  LeMarque had a great team this year, guess what they got hammered by 16.  Go watch them, they seem like good kids.  I had a great time.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin