Stop That Coach! ESPN's Rick Reilly's Take on Yates Coach Greg Wise

I dont think anyone is trying to say anything negative about the players, being able to put up those kind of points is very impressive and im sure they are all great players...

But as the article said, this is HIGH SCHOOL, not professional.. there's no bonus for beating a team 170-35.. its not necessary..

if you score 300 points and win (300-270) thats fine the fact of the matter is that they were running scores up for the fun of it...
Fouling to try to score more points to break 100 when you are already wining by 50 with only 2-3 minutes left is TERRIBLE..

IMO that is uncalled for.. making a statement is fine, but learn when to call the dogs off..

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bullets13000" post="775654" timestamp="1268345263"]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=67188.msg775604#msg775604 date=1268342972]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=67188.msg775597#msg775597 date=1268342756]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=67188.msg775594#msg775594 date=1268342716]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=67188.msg775573#msg775573 date=1268342282]
[quote author=Rizon link=topic=67188.msg775558#msg775558 date=1268341968]
I'm not saying I agree with his method but it's his method...didn't he say before the season started that his team was after scoring records? I could be wrong.
[/quote]

so if i tell you i'm going to come rob your house, it's cool, as long as i tell you first, right?
[/quote]

Coach wise isn't doing anything wrong robbing a house is wrong
[/quote]

what you meant to say was "in my opinion, Coach wise isn't doing anything wrong"
[/quote]

Hes harming no one and nothing therefore its not wrong
[/quote]

that's entirely your opinion.
[/quote]

Its fact that no one is harmed whether they win by 3 or 80

[quote name="whsalum" post="775751" timestamp="1268358819"]
I don't think it is Yates responsibility to go in to a game worrying about not beating a club to bad.It's the oppositions  job to be prepared to play.I enjoy watching ESPN but I don't think it's their job to tell us what to think.
[/quote]enough said! Can't argue this point. Case closed.

[quote name="whsalum" post="775751" timestamp="1268358819"]
I don't think it is Yates responsibility to go in to a game worrying about not beating a club to bad.It's the oppositions  job to be prepared to play.I enjoy watching ESPN but I don't think it's their job to tell us what to think.
[/quote]

I don't think ESPN has to tell the majority of us what to think...We know pressing a high school team is wrong when you are up 100 points at halftime.

Bullet you sound very imature.  First off this has nothing to do with race so squash that. If he was at your school running the score up, who would care what you thought.  Like you said everyone has an opinion. But seriously, It's kind of like a track meet and someone is winning the mile by a full lap.  Do you tell them to let up or try to break the record?  Most people would want them to break the record and clap for the last guy coming in.  It's kind of the same situation.  It's like this, if you can't run with the big dogs then stay off the court.  I honestly see nothing wrong with Coach Wise's decisions.

You don't embarrass high school kids by beating them 170-35 how is Lee's coach suppose to have his team step it up when Yates 15th guy is probably better than Lees best player. When you don't have it you don't have it this isnt college or the pros. Pros everyone gets a pay check if you blow someone out so be it. High school hardly the same case. People keep saying well the other team needs to play better well the other team doesn't have the top kids from all around Houston the other teams don't have Divison 1 players coming out their arse.

[quote name="FairfieldEagles5" post="775773" timestamp="1268361145"]
You don't embarrass high school kids by beating them 170-35 how is Lee's coach suppose to have his team step it up when Yates 15th guy is probably better than Lees best player. When you don't have it you don't have it this isnt college or the pros. Pros everyone gets a pay check if you blow someone out so be it. High school hardly the same case. People keep saying well the other team needs to play better well the other team doesn't have the top kids from all around Houston the other teams don't have Divison 1 players coming out their arse.
[/quote]

Yates doesn't even have a huge amt of d1 players

[quote name="ST413" post="775763" timestamp="1268359716"]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=67188.msg775751#msg775751 date=1268358819]
[/quote]

I don't think ESPN has to tell the majority of us what to think...We know pressing a high school team is wrong when you are up 100 points at halftime.
[/quote]

thank you.

[quote name="Texasdude281" post="775764" timestamp="1268359816"]
Bullet you sound very imature.  First off this has nothing to do with race so squash that. If he was at your school running the score up, who would care what you thought.  Like you said everyone has an opinion. But seriously, It's kind of like a track meet and someone is winning the mile by a full lap.  Do you tell them to let up or try to break the record?  Most people would want them to break the record and clap for the last guy coming in.  It's kind of the same situation.  It's like this, if you can't run with the big dogs then stay off the court.  I honestly see nothing wrong with Coach Wise's decisions.
[/quote]

first off, the word is "immature."  should i take your inability to spell the word as a sign of your own immaturity, or should i take it as a sign of low intelligence?  seeing as you had no problem making assumptions of me from one post, i'll take the liberty of assuming that it's a combination of both.  I'm simply on here stating my opinion, and up until now, i've had no issues with anyone else's opinions.  i may not agree with others on here, but i have not taken steps to attack them for disagreeing with me (as you have).  as for race being an issue, i strongly feel that it should NOT be... BUT- anyone who has a problem with Wise's coaching style continually faces thinly veiled accusations of racism on this board.  i personally wouldn't care if the guy was purple.  I just don't like what he does to his opponents.  It sounds like your solution to this would be for these inferior schools to simply forfeit their games against Yates, or maybe just fold their team.  I can't say that this would be the life lesson that i would want to teach my high school athletes, but i guess you're entitled to that opinion.  However, I do find it ironic that you compare Wise's coaching behavior to a track runner.  In track, it's all about individual glory, so i guess you got at least one part of your post right.  That seems to fit Wise to a "T". 

[quote name="bullets13000" post="775693" timestamp="1268349135"]
[quote author=im on fire link=topic=67188.msg775670#msg775670 date=1268346127]
HE ALSO SAID " IM HERE TO WIN GAMES IF WE SCORE 100 POINTS A GAME THEN THAT MEANS WE WIN"  looks like he doing his JOB to me.  if he was at your school breaking these records i bet we would have a totally different convo, but its your schools they are beating so its a bad thing.
[/quote]

it's none of "my" teams that he's beating. i'm going to assume you mean "white" schools. he's actually beating up on other minorities.  that's not at all the issue to me.  and if he was at "my" school, doing the same thing, not only would i have a problem with it, the principal and superintendent, both great basketball players in their day, would most likely put a stop to it.  if not, i'd have an issue with them as well.
[/quote] Note to self: beware of bullet's assumptions. They are used to construct "straw man" arguments that he then addresses when no one else brought them up. Review previous note re: logic vs bullet: the two don't go well together. At all

to me this is so crazy. these boys are playing ball, in my opinion how can u tell someone who loves the game and plays their heart out to take it easy? what type of coach goes out there and says "hey u are better than us so can u please take it easy on us?" that is crazy unless u are happy being a charity case lol. these boys are playing the way they are taught to play. me being a coach i tell my kids to not give me any less than 150 amd i mean it! when they step on the floor all i want is hard work, if we blow a team out then hey ima tell them good job. why cant we just give credit to a good team instead of trying to find everything wrong with them because maybe our team or favorite team cant beat them. what i see is a great team who has dominated. by the way what about those uconn girls who hav won 72 straight by a average margin of 32 points. on the college level that is amazing, we dont call them classless

i really dont care if you people call me immature for saying this stuff but it is wrong to beat teams by that much and yea coach wise is a classless unsportsmanlike idiotjerk that some people jus wanna slash his tires jus for being around the basketball court.

[quote name="Ice Cold Alpha" post="775864" timestamp="1268369303"]
to me this is so crazy. these boys are playing ball, in my opinion how can u tell someone who loves the game and plays their heart out to take it easy? what type of coach goes out there and says "hey u are better than us so can u please take it easy on us?" that is crazy unless u are happy being a charity case lol. these boys are playing the way they are taught to play. me being a coach i tell my kids to not give me any less than 150 amd i mean it! when they step on the floor all i want is hard work, if we blow a team out then hey ima tell them good job. why cant we just give credit to a good team instead of trying to find everything wrong with them because maybe our team or favorite team cant beat them. what i see is a great team who has dominated. by the way what about those uconn girls who hav won 72 straight by a average margin of 32 points. on the college level that is amazing, we dont call them classless
[/quote]this guy is a moron. a coach that has a good heart about the game wouldnt say " we will smash any team by however many points IIIIIIII want to"...thats not right at all. If i had a team and we were up by 40 then i would tell them to take some off. like bullets said i wouldnt want to embarass the team and make them not ever wanna play the sports again. thats jus F**KD up. so for the language but its "jacked" up for any coach to do that.

AllY'all whine too much about yates, it's high school basketball, 16,17, &18 year olds playin ball, a game. So what if their better at the game, that's what they strive for. Quit all the cryin, if u were in their place an had that talent you would be doin the same thing. It's HIGHSCHOOL BASKETBALL, if you don't like it join the chess club!;)

[quote name="bigsballer" post="775887" timestamp="1268371860"]
AllY'all whine too much about yates, it's high school basketball, 16,17, &18 year olds playin ball, a game. So what if their better at the game, that's what they strive for. Quit all the cryin, if u were in their place an had that talent you would be doin the same thing. It's HIGHSCHOOL BASKETBALL, if you don't like it join the chess club!;)
[/quote]

No most of us in here would take th approach of Travis Williams,  Todd Sutherland, or James Gamble and various other local coaches that we know of and show a little class.  Each of these has had teams that could have beaten som of  the teams they played by hug margins and yes they have won with some lopsided scores.. However, they can allow their kids to play hard without pressing full court with an insurmountable lead.  And I can assure you that they would not be calling timeouts just to score 100 points.  I am all for letting kids play and teaching them to give 100 % but there are ways to do it without intentionally humiliating teenage kids.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="775347" timestamp="1268333965"]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=67188.msg774776#msg774776 date=1268264319]
I played at a school that we beat ppl by a lot at times and I played at a school where we got beat by a lot at times neither side of the spectrum had a serious negative effect honestly the games lost by small margins hurt worse than getting strummed
[/quote]

I agree with your comments, I have felt the same way. I do understand the mentality that he wants the kids to have, I just wish he would teach a little humility as well.
[/quote]

I remember in the early 90's when HJ was beating up on folks. I think one game they beat Hardin by over 100 and they kept pressing.

[quote name="bullets13000" post="775573" timestamp="1268342282"]
[quote author=Rizon link=topic=67188.msg775558#msg775558 date=1268341968]
I'm not saying I agree with his method but it's his method...didn't he say before the season started that his team was after scoring records? I could be wrong.
[/quote]

so if i tell you i'm going to come rob your house, it's cool, as long as i tell you first, right?
[/quote]

LMAO ! Good Point Bullets ! And as for Wise my Personal Opinion is someone needs to take him out back and teach him some Humility ! There is no need to do what he is doing. Totally classless !

[quote name="bullets13000" post="775693" timestamp="1268349135"]
[quote author=im on fire link=topic=67188.msg775670#msg775670 date=1268346127]
HE ALSO SAID " IM HERE TO WIN GAMES IF WE SCORE 100 POINTS A GAME THEN THAT MEANS WE WIN"  looks like he doing his JOB to me.  if he was at your school breaking these records i bet we would have a totally different convo, but its your schools they are beating so its a bad thing.
[/quote]

it's none of "my" teams that he's beating. i'm going to assume you mean "white" schools. he's actually beating up on other minorities.  that's not at all the issue to me.  and if he was at "my" school, doing the same thing, not only would i have a problem with it, the principal and superintendent, both great basketball players in their day, would most likely put a stop to it.  if not, i'd have an issue with them as well.
[/quote]

are you racist?  where in my post did i mention anything about white or black schools.  you seem to have a problem with color, you pull that card in a couple post youve made.  youre not great unless someone is bad mouthing you....GREAT JOB YATES.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin