Postseason talk surrounds Lamar women

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola
[quote]The Lamar women's basketball team may say they are taking it one game at a time, but the "P" word is definitely buzzing around the Montagne Center.

The Lady Cardinals are on the verge of making the postseason for the first time since 1991. An outright regular season conference title would guarantee Lamar a spot in the WNIT.

The team's sports information director, Pat Murray, was passing out a memo with directions on applying for NCAA Tournament credentials during Lamar's game with UT-Arlington on Wednesday night, a 79-73 win. Coach Larry Tidwell received an email from the Women's Basketball Invitational, a new postseason tournament, saying that if he committed to play in it, the Lady Cards were guaranteed a spot. [/quote]

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/postseason_talk_surrounds_lamar_women.html

Guest coachacola
Their RPI is now 86 and if they win out maybe they can get a 14 seed in the tourney.  The ESPN bracketology has them as a 15 seed but it's a little dated.  I last saw them play in Austin when they made the NCAAs in the 90s.  It'd be sweet to see them again in Austin this year.

http://espn.go.com/ncw/bracketology#

But we aren't in the sunbelt. We are in the Southland. We know the conference sucks. But you must play the hand you are dealt. So ladies keep winning and you do great in whatever tournament you are put in! You can compete with anyone. Best of luck and congrats on an already great season.

Oh no trust me I know they should have stayed in the Sunbelt... It was a dumb decision IMO. But I'm tired of hearing about that. It was in the past. Now we should be giving these lady their credit on a great season. And how they have played great all year against whoever they play even though it is a Southland opponent. If they get into the tourney it wont be about the conference. It will be win or go home no matter what conference we or the opponent is in.

Guest coachacola
I think everyone is in agreement that leaving the Sun Belt for the SLC was a big mistake, but it appears that Tubbs and Simmons are trying to change all that.  As far as the ladies basketball goes, they just need to win out and they should get a 14 seed.  They should be even better next year.  Tubbs needs to do whatever it takes to keep Tidwell at LU for a while.  I think the team would take a nose dive if he left.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="769186" timestamp="1267498697"]
Oh no trust me I know they should have stayed in the Sunbelt... It was a dumb decision IMO. But I'm tired of hearing about that. It was in the past. Now we should be giving these lady their credit on a great season. And how they have played great all year against whoever they play even though it is a Southland opponent. If they get into the tourney it wont be about the conference. It will be win or go home no matter what conference we or the opponent is in.
[/quote]Taking shots at the SLC is in no way hurting the ladies. However if we stop reminding LU of the boneheaded move to the SLC, they will
do it again by missing an opportunity to move up or leaving the SLC for the summit league.

I too hated the move from the Sunbelt.  But I was privy to some information during that time and we really had no other choice.  The institution as a whole was in a financial crisis and everything that could be done was being done to keep the programs alive financially.  Due to some great work by the administration that was in place at that time, we are able to see the great things that are happening with the athletic program and the University as a whole.

[quote name="Ruckdad" post="769538" timestamp="1267545867"]
I too hated the move from the Sunbelt.  But I was privy to some information during that time and we really had no other choice.  The institution as a whole was in a financial crisis and everything that could be done was being done to keep the programs alive financially.  Due to some great work by the administration that was in place at that time, we are able to see the great things that are happening with the athletic program and the University as a whole.
[/quote]Don't buy into the excuses of idiots. At that time the economy was great, LU could have raised millions. With the right people in place.
Look what Dr Simmons is doing now in a bad economy.

Guest coachacola
[quote name="UNLV" post="769780" timestamp="1267582290"]
[quote author=Ruckdad link=topic=66629.msg769538#msg769538 date=1267545867]
[/quote]Don't buy into the excuses of idiots. At that time the economy was great, LU could have raised millions. With the right people in place.
[/quote]

Come on now UNLV, you can't deny that LU had financial problems.  The local economy tanked in the mid-80s and the population shrank.  Lamar is part of the Texas State University System now because of all the problems they had back then.

I do agree that had the right people had been in place Lamar would be well ahead of where they are now.  But it's too late now and Simmons and Tubbs are doing a great job in turning things around.

[quote name="coachacola" post="769809" timestamp="1267585809"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=66629.msg769780#msg769780 date=1267582290]
[quote author=Ruckdad link=topic=66629.msg769538#msg769538 date=1267545867]
[/quote]

Come on now UNLV, you can't deny that LU had financial problems.  The local economy tanked in the mid-80s and the population shrank.  Lamar is part of the Texas State University System now because of all the problems they had back then.

I do agree that had the right people had been in place Lamar would be well ahead of where they are now.  But it's too late now and Simmons and Tubbs are doing a great job in turning things around.
[/quote]I'm not talking about the 80's. I'm talking 90's. The move to the SLC was desperate move by people who did not know how to run the school.
If LU had stayed in the Sunbelt, we would be talking FBS. We would be part of the CUSA talk. The stadium would be under construction for 35k.
Roc would have better players and a much better record. Tidwell would have a top 25 team.

Back to the topic at hand.

The Lady Cards need a win or an SFA loss to garuntee at least a share of the SLC title. (LU has the tie breaker over SFA, so they would get the No. 1 seed and NIT bid) . With 7 seconds left in Nacogdoches, SFA and UCA are tied at 85, while it appears the Lady Cards are going to lose to Corpus.

The Lady Cards do have some glaring weaknesses that were exposed tonight, but also have the potentail to be down right dominant when clicking on all cylinders.

One thing I have noticed is that Kalis, for all the great things she is capable of doing, makes a ton of mistakes just bad decisions. She's a freshman though, so the mistakes are ones that can be fixed down the road.

While I was writing this, the Ladyjacks win 88-86 so the Lady Cards must win Saturday to get the top seed.

[quote name="UNLV" post="770309" timestamp="1267671395"]
The love fest by SLC tv on CC already has Lamar losing next week and CC winning it all.

[/quote]

It's hard to thow love to a team that is playing like garbage. It's true that the announcers were way too lovey for CC, but they were doing whatever they wanted to LU and it's a stretch to talk about how great a team is when they aren't playing that way.

I think CC will not make the tourney finals. If LU plays the way it is capable, it should probably be LU-SFA for the fifth straight year in the SLC tourney. At least it's not a first round matchup like the previous four years.

[quote name="LumberCard" post="770304" timestamp="1267671173"]
Back to the topic at hand.

The Lady Cards need a win or an SFA loss to garuntee at least a share of the SLC title. (LU has the tie breaker over SFA, so they would get the No. 1 seed and NIT bid) . With 7 seconds left in Nacogdoches, SFA and UCA are tied at 85, while it appears the Lady Cards are going to lose to Corpus.

The Lady Cards do have some glaring weaknesses that were exposed tonight, but also have the potentail to be down right dominant when clicking on all cylinders.

One thing I have noticed is that Kalis, for all the great things she is capable of doing, makes a ton of mistakes just bad decisions. She's a freshman though, so the mistakes are ones that can be fixed down the road.

While I was writing this, the Ladyjacks win 88-86 so the Lady Cards must win Saturday to get the top seed.
[/quote]

I still think Kalis is the best freshmen in the SLC, and the fact that she is not Tamara Abalde good hopefully means that she will stick around a couple more seasons.

UCA's Megan Herbert should be hands down the SLC Freshman & Player of the Year. What she's doing is unreal.

Avg
22.0 ppg - 1st in SLC
14.0 rpg - 1st in SLC and Nation (Will have school record for avg in a season)
.559 FG - 1st
.836 FT - 1st
6.1 Off Rebs Per Game - 1st
7.9 Def Rebs Per Game - 1st
35.4 Min Per Game - 5th
Posted 23 consecutive double-doubles which is the 2nd longest streak by a Division 1 player (3rd All-Time) in NCAA History behind Courtney Paris' 112 in a row.

Oh and she is only one of three players to average 20 pts & 10 rebs per game in the nation.....and is the only freshman in the group.

Her High School career is like a video game....4-Time All-State, All-Region & All-District Selection.....over 2,800 pts and 1,300 rebs....1st Team All-American....and she ended up staying close to home to go to UCA

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin