What is with the use of fists in sports recently?

oodooo

Honestly, when did this become a popular trend? That's not all that disturbs me, but the lack of repercussions for soccer players. For instance, an Ozen female basketball player threw one punch and is now "indefinitely suspended from the girls basketball team and will attend an alternative campus"[sub]1[/sub]. Along with that the article goes on to say that charges are being pressed on said female player. Now, in the soccer world a player who throws a punch after a fellow teammate has already thrown a punch he gets to boast about it on his web-page with ZERO repercussions..."broke my hand on some dudes face.. knock out but i think i got the worst of it"[sub]2[/sub], I mean, at least he admits to getting the worst of it. I guess if a sport is under the radar of the masses for an area players can control it, not the coaches or refs as intended. I don't blame the refs and coaches solely, the players themselves should have more respect for the game and fellow players.

What is going to be done to prevent further instances? Or should we just roll over and accept it?

References:
[sub]1[/sub] http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/update__ozen_guard_suspended_for_punch.html

i've been asked to take the link to the myspace site off of this thread. 

I gotta agree.  Back in the day when I played, we [i]never[/i] used our fists.  Any time there was a disagreement, it was time for a DANCE-OFF!  

Seriously.  People use their fists when they lose their temper.  They have ever since they could curl their hand into a ball and they will until Prozac is put into our tap water.  Is it right?  No.  Should there consequences?  Yes.  But don't think this is a new problem.

I realize that's professional soccer, and the majority of the time they incur a fine or penalty of sorts on and off the field. Yet with soccer around here there is maybe a card given in some instances, well not maybe, if it's seen then a card is given....usually.

Some players seem to think that a simple friendly game is enough to go irate and lash out against one another.  These players should realize that they're not in the gosh darn Colliseum and if they lose they're not gonna die, its a competition that should be handled in a professional manner and if you lose you can say, "hey i did my best and now i really have someone to test my skills on."  So lets all love life and love our sports and chill... just a lil... still play rough though.... just not too rough.... well yeah pretty rough.... just don't throw a punch..

[quote name="Champ  Kind" post="747315" timestamp="1264085120"]
Some players seem to think that a simple friendly game is enough to go irate and lash out against one another.  These players should realize that they're not in the gosh darn Colliseum and if they lose they're not gonna die, its a competition that should be handled in a professional manner and if you lose you can say, "hey i did my best and now i really have someone to test my skills on."  So lets all love life and love our sports and chill... just a lil... still play rough though.... just not too rough.... well yeah pretty rough.... just don't throw a punch..
[/quote]

Well said

To LCM and Silsbee Athletes,Coaches,and Fans:

I'd like to apologize for my actions during the LCM vs. Silsbee soccer game on January 15,2010.
I now realize that my actions were not only inappropriate, but extremely dangerous. I feel that I have disrespected my fellow athletes, my coaches, my family, and myself. Most of all, I'd like to personally and sincerely apologize to the LCM athlete whom I hope is not injured. I hope that other student athletes will take note of the grief that this incident has caused for everyone involved.

Silsbee Soccer #10

[quote name="oodooo" post="747106" timestamp="1264037033"]
Honestly, when did this become a popular trend? That's not all that disturbs me, but the lack of repercussions for soccer players. For instance, an Ozen female basketball player threw one punch and is now "indefinitely suspended from the girls basketball team and will attend an alternative campus"[sub]1[/sub]. Along with that the article goes on to say that charges are being pressed on said female player. Now, in the soccer world a player who throws a punch after a fellow teammate has already thrown a punch he gets to boast about it on his web-page with ZERO repercussions..."broke my hand on some dudes face.. knock out but i think i got the worst of it"[sub]2[/sub], I mean, at least he admits to getting the worst of it. I guess if a sport is under the radar of the masses for an area players can control it, not the coaches or refs as intended. I don't blame the refs and coaches solely, the players themselves should have more respect for the game and fellow players.

What is going to be done to prevent further instances? Or should we just roll over and accept it?

References:
[sub]1[/sub] http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/update__ozen_guard_suspended_for_punch.html

i've been asked to take the link to the myspace site off of this thread. 
[/quote]  His repercussions were:  Kicked off soccer team, assigned to alternative campus, at least one surgery on hand,  rumored to be facing charges-his actions were inexcusable-still he is known as a good kid whose never been in trouble

There was a minor fist fight between two girl players to end the Lumberton/Nederland game Friday night. I am surprised that there are no threads about it. I think there were two send offs. Then Nederland was awarded a PK with 23 seconds left in a 0-0 game. Both players were equally guilty in the fight. It should have been a drop ball.

Wow, I thought surely Lumberton would have won against Nederland.  I guess losing that many seniors last year hurt them this season.  They should do well in district though.

[quote name="fiveoclocksomewhere" post="750384" timestamp="1264610554"]
There was a minor fist fight between two girl players to end the Lumberton/Nederland game Friday night. [b]I am surprised that there are no threads about it[/b]. I think there were two send offs. Then Nederland was awarded a PK with 23 seconds left in a 0-0 game. Both players were equally guilty in the fight. It should have been a drop ball.
[/quote]

I know I know I'm slipping. In all honesty though those just happened to be the first things I posted about when I got this account. All this does is prove that violence is being taken notice off and looked down on disapprovingly.

[quote name="nsdx2" post="750683" timestamp="1264646371"]
It is my understanding ( I was not at the game ) that the Lumberton player received a Red and the Nederland player received a Yellow card.
[/quote]

You may be right. It was hard to tell. Both players left the field. And the referee, Matt Taylor, took an awful long time discussing it all with his AR. But both players took swings and at the other. Both should have been red carded. I guess the AR saw the retaliation from the Lumberton player, as she swung last. That is how it usually works. I was sitting next to a local soccer referee(A very senior official without a child on either team.) and he said the same as what I am telling you here. Should have been a drop ball. You don't call a PK with 23 seconds in a 0-0 game.  Especially when both players were equally at blame.

Fiveoclock -  When the GCM girls played Nederland on Tuesday, there should have been more than yellows pulled.  They targeted our leading score with alot of cheap shots, ankles and one sucker punch in the face.  But just a yellow card.  The I hold the ref responsible for not taking proper control of the game and letting it get out of hand.

[quote name="fiveoclocksomewhere" post="750941" timestamp="1264697957"]
[quote author=nsdx2 link=topic=65022.msg750683#msg750683 date=1264646371]
It is my understanding ( I was not at the game ) that the Lumberton player received a Red and the Nederland player received a Yellow card.
[/quote]

You may be right. It was hard to tell. Both players left the field. And the referee, Matt Taylor, took an awful long time discussing it all with his AR. But both players took swings and at the other. Both should have been red carded. I guess the AR saw the retaliation from the Lumberton player, as she swung last. That is how it usually works. I was sitting next to a local soccer referee(A very senior official without a child on either team.) and he said the same as what I am telling you here. Should have been a drop ball. You don't call a PK with 23 seconds in a 0-0 game.  Especially when both players were equally at blame.
[/quote]

Not sure i understand about the problem with drop ball.  Why wouldn't you award a pk as the result of a red card offense?

[quote name="DogOne" post="751228" timestamp="1264734616"]
Ok, I think I got it now.  The red card had nothing to do with the play.  It was due to the "altercation" after the play.  Correct?  Was there a foul called on the play?
[/quote]

Correct. But I thought both should have gotten reds. The refs talked about it forever, then awarded a PK.  The foul and first punch were by the Nederland player, but then the Lumberton player took a swing, and that got called.  I am not sure why the first foul was not called. I just figure since both players were equally at blame that there should not have been a PK. Especially with 23 seconds on the clock.

If the ref had given yellows earlier in the game when he should have, it prolly would not have escalated to the point it did. There was an awful lot of rough play being allowed.

[quote name="bullets13" post="751719" timestamp="1264815076"]
an HJ player got a red card tonight for a punch he threw as well...
[/quote]

..........All I'm saying is all these video games are to blame. My statement still stands that I think people are losing respect for the game and fellow players on the field.

[quote name="oodooo" post="752268" timestamp="1264894350"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=65022.msg751719#msg751719 date=1264815076]
an HJ player got a red card tonight for a punch he threw as well...
[/quote]

..........All I'm saying is all these video games are to blame. My statement still stands that I think people are losing respect for the game and fellow players on the field.
[/quote]

video games have nothing to do with it.  as Bon_Mot has posted before, people have been punching people when they're mad for a very long time.  i haven't played HS soccer in 9 years, and back then there were plenty of incidents like this.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder