Barbers Hill Applicants list

Guest GCMPats

Guest GCMPats
[size=12pt]BH coach/AD candidates make an impressive lot [/size]

By Dave Rogers
The Baytown Sun
Published January 20, 2010

MONT BELVIEU — Barbers Hill superintendent Greg Poole was right last month when he said to expect an impressive list of applicants for his school’s athletic director/head football coaching job.

The list of 84 applicants for the job that went to two-time state champion coach Ronnie Gage included more than 30 men who were head coaches in 2009 and several more with recent head coaching experience.

At least one of those head coaches, however, had a complaint about the way Poole conducted the search.

“I was hesitant about applying for it because me and coach Price were such good friends,” Pasadena Memorial head coach John Snelson said, referring to former BH coach Don Price.

“But I think Barbers Hill really is a good job, a great community and an excellent school district, so I decided to throw my hat in the ring. I didn’t know the format the process was going to go — that the superintendent would go after the people he wanted.

“Obviously, he went after people who have either played for a state championship or won a state championship. We’ve done well at Pasadena Memorial, but we’re not at that level yet.”

Snelson, who has a 28-17-1 record, one district title and four playoff appearances in as many years, was referring to the fact that Poole recruited both Gage and Abilene Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer to apply for the job and invited them, along with Tatum coach Andy Evans, another two-time state champ, to tour BH facilities and meet with school officials.

Evans, who attended middle school in Barbers Hill while his dad, Joe Evans, was head coach there, said there was talk of a salary “up to six figures,” but he wasn’t officially offered the job during a tour last week.

“There was not an offer made,” he said. “It was a deal where I came in and visited with them. It really came down to the fact that I pulled my name out.

“I’m happy where we’re at. I don’t feel like we’re through,” said the coach whose team won a Class 3A title in 2005 and another in Class 2A in 2006.

“And I still get to coach with my dad if I stay in Tatum.”

Evans’ dad, 76, is an assistant coach at Tatum.

“I don’t think he wants to move again,” Evans said.

Besides Snelson, the applicant list released Tuesday in response to Public Information Act requests by several area media outlets also included local 5A head coaches Keith Knowles of Clements and Mike Jackson of Chavez and 5A head coaches Mike Zierlein of Austin Akins, Robert Wilcox of Round Rock McNeil and Richard Kattner of Pflugerville Connally.

Class 4A head coaches include Shawn Halloran of North Forest, Robby Clark of Midlothian and Mike Lawrence of Fort Worth Western Hills.

Notable head coaches of smaller schools include Larry Haynes of Hardin, Derek Fitzhenry of Giddings, Cris Stump of Bridge City, Bo Robinson of LaVernia, Leland Surovik of Columbia and Ricky Tullos of Cleveland.

Baytown Christian head coach Donald Houser applied as did Sterling assistant coach Joe Berezoski.

Zierlein was hired this week as head coach at Clear Falls, a new school, and Fitzhenry was expected to be approved as new Dobie coach Tuesday night.

Barbers Hill

applicants

Arledge, Edward, Magnolia West; Baca, Eddie, Cleburne; Barnes, William, Mathis; Berezoski, Joe, Baytown Sterling; Bunn, Terry, Channelview; Burton, Lloyd, Dulles; Brady, Pat, Liberty-Eylau; Brakel, Jerry, Nimitz; Clark, Robby, Midlothian; Coffman, Stony, Howe; Cook, Lonnie, Olton; Dillon, J. Matt, Cornell College; Duhon, Ben, FB Clements; Evans, Andy, Tatum; Finley, Clint, , Victoria; Fitzhenry Derek, Giddings; Florez, Lupe, Rains; Gage, Ronnie, Austin College; Gazelas, Dmitri, Atascocita; Gillum, Cedrick, Not Given; Griffing, Robert, Cy-Ridge; Halloran, Shawn, North Forest; Ham, Allen, Hightower; Hawkes, Jerry, Arl Lamar; Haynes, Larry, Hardin; Hobbs, Daryl, Santa Monica College; Hodge, Greg, Perryton; Holmes, Granvel, SA Hawkins; Houser, Donald, Baytown Christian Academy; Jackson, Michael, Houston Chavez; Jackson, Randy, Lone Oak; Johnson, Daniel, Pittsburg; Johnson, Tony, Grand Prairie; Jones, Jeff, Hardin; Jung, Jared, Canyon; Kattner, Richard, Pflugerville Connally; Knowles, Keith, FB Clements; Kozma, Brian, FW Dunbar; Kroeker, Duane, Port Neches-Groves; Lane, Dwayne, Clear Creek; Lawrence, Mike, FW Western Hills; Lynch, Ron, Klein Oak; Madison, Lonnie, Klein Collins; Malone, Jerry, Kirbyville; Maple, Ted, Pearsall; Martinez, Jose, Fabens; McClendon, Jason, Christian Life Academy; McFarland, Robert, Gilbert High School/Iowa

McGuire, Cody, Tomball; Micheaux, Kris, Gonzales; Miller, Clinton, Little Elm; Morales, Rippy, Lomax Middle School; Morgan, Greg, Madisonville; Murphy, Shannon, N/A; Pacini, Alejo, Willowridge; Padalecki, Edward, SA Concordia Lutheran; Robinson, Bo, LaVernia; Seymour, Darren, East Chambers; Sheffy, Joe, Katy Taylor; Shoffiett, Mike, Currently retired; Singletary, DeWayne, Elsik; Slafka, Jeff, Morton Ranch; Smith Lance, Cypress Creek; Snelson, John, Pasadena Memorial; Sorenson, Michael, Winona; Starnes, Michael, Clear Lake; Stump, Cris, Bridge City; Surovik, Leland, Columbia; Taylor, Chad, LaPorte; Thompson, Jimmy, Mount Pleasant; Tippett, Dustin, Plainview; Trent, Greg, Texas Southern University; Trigg, Michael, Gregory-Portland; Tullos, Ricky, Cleveland; Verden, Jim, Abilene Madison M.S.; Warlick, Thomas, Karnes City; Warren, John, Cypress Christian Academy; Webb, Kevin, Angleton; Wilcox, Robert, RR McNeil; Wilson, Shannon, Southlake Carroll; Wood, Doug, Robstown; Zierlein, Mike, Akins

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="lu cards" post="746910" timestamp="1264008543"]
stump looking to get out of bc???
[/quote]

Probably more like Stump was looking to move up in classifications or salary. BH was a good job opportunity with very good pay.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="Ron Burgundy" post="746939" timestamp="1264012155"]
[quote author=UgotTRUCKED link=topic=65001.msg746889#msg746889 date=1264007552]
GCPATS you are just a wealth of good information! Thanks. :)
[/quote]

Can you be a wealth?
[/quote]

Yes, I believe it is a cornish game hen. Very tasty indeed when sauteed with butter.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="Ron Burgundy" post="746943" timestamp="1264012341"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=65001.msg746942#msg746942 date=1264012272]
[quote author=Ron Burgundy link=topic=65001.msg746939#msg746939 date=1264012155]
[/quote]

Can you be a wealth?
[/quote]

Yes, I believe it is a cornish game hen. Very tasty indeed when sauteed with butter.
[/quote]

Oh. I thought it was an old, old wooden ship used in the Civil War era.
[/quote]

Nope. That's called a "welk" I believe. Common mistake Ron.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="Ron Burgundy" post="746943" timestamp="1264012341"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=65001.msg746942#msg746942 date=1264012272]
[quote author=Ron Burgundy link=topic=65001.msg746939#msg746939 date=1264012155]
[/quote]

Can you be a wealth?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh. I thought it was an old, old wooden ship used in the Civil War era.
[/quote]

That was your 666th post. Quite evil!

Didn't sound like he was whining to me. He complimented BH on being a great place, and said he did not have State Championship experience. I took it that if he would have known that was what Poole wanted that he wouldn't have wasted his or their time. 

I gotcha, just one mans opinion. Just like it is my opinion that not everything printed in papers or seen in the media is true. I know Coach Snelson, he's a hard nosed, matter of fact guy, not some one to whine in the paper . But it was a catchy "Hook" by Dave Rogers, sure made me want to keep reading.

[quote name="BCSDAD" post="747251" timestamp="1264075257"]
I gotcha, just one mans opinion. Just like it is my opinion that not everything printed in papers or seen in the media is true. I know Coach Snelson, he's a hard nosed, matter of fact guy, not some one to whine in the paper . But it was a [b]catchy "Hook[/b]" by Dave Rogers, sure made me want to keep reading.
[/quote]

I agree... the writer said the word [u]complaint[/u].... The quote from Snelson didn't fit that description in my opinion either.

[quote name="Tribesman" post="749420" timestamp="1264456448"]
Glad I didn't see this earlier...Wouldn't have been able to sleep if I would have known that Kroeker applied from  PN-G. Thank you, Barbers Hill... ;D
[/quote]
I hear ya, but it will happen eventually. Kroeker is a good one and will succeed as a head coach eventually. Until then we will enjoy having him as our defensive coordinator.

Regardless of the reason why you apply, it's got to suck to have your name on that list............. Oh well, guess that comes with the job. 

By the way.......just so everyone knows - if the Houston Texans Cheerleader's photographer position opens I am applying.  ;) ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder