TASO gets restraining order; UIL revises its refs amendment

Officials’ tug of war reaches new level
TASO gets restraining order; UIL revises its refs amendment

AUSTIN — Less than 24 hours after a temporary restraining order was entered in the ongoing legal battle between the University Interscholastic League and the Texas Association of Sports Officials, the UIL’s Legislative Council again amended its constitution in regard to officials.

The council met Thursday to revise and clarify the language of an amendment that mandates all officials calling varsity team sports must be registered with the UIL.

The amendment, which passed in October and was approved in November, met opposition from leaders within TASO, the organization governing high school sports officials in the state. TASO has managed high school officiating in Texas for 33 years. TASO sued the UIL in December, claiming the UIL can’t regulate officials because they are independent contractors.

Schools get clarifications

The temporary restraining order entered Wednesday prevents the UIL from enforcing the passed amendment until a temporary injunction hearing scheduled for Feb. 1.

The revisions passed by the council Thursday make an exception for individual sports to use non-UIL registered officials if so desired. UIL-registered officials would be required for all team sports (baseball, basketball, football, soccer, softball and volleyball).

The UIL also mandated that UIL-registered officials be used for non-varsity contests unless mutually decided otherwise by the participating schools.

Finally, the council voted to pass the amendment effective immediately. When originally passed in November, it was set to take effect July 1. Member schools would still be able to use TASO- or UIL-registered officials for the remainder of the school year.

“This gives clarification to the schools because there was a lot of confusion out there,” UIL executive director Dr. Charles Breithaupt said.

George Coit, the chairman of the TASO board of directors, made his organization’s stance clear.

“TASO does not want this fight,” Coit said.“The majority of TASO members are against this proposal.

“Most of our officials just want to officiate. All of our officials are independent contractors and not subject to regulations from an organization in which we have no vote or no representation.”

San Antonio ISD athletic director Gil Garza, who is the president of the Texas High School Athletic Directors Association, supported the UIL’s stance and said the majority of the THSADA’s constituency does as well.

Starkly contrasting views

“Most of us are proponents of officials, and we understand their value,” Garza said. “There have been some problems, and more often than not, the problems stem from the leadership of the officials association. It’s not something we like or we want, but it’s a fact.

“This initiative may solve those problems. I believe that this is something that is good and that can be good, and our association is supporting it 100 percent.”

Coit maintained that if the mandate takes effect, it will not only cripple TASO but high school sports officiating in general by causing a shortage of officials.

“If this amendment is passed, it will cause a logistical nightmare for scheduling,” Coit said. “If this is passed, we’ll really be short on officials, because most of the guys won’t officiate this upcoming season.”

Though Breithaupt can’t comment on specifics of the legal battle, he expressed some frustrations with what has transpired.

“It’s disappointing, but it’s their right (to file a lawsuit),” he said. “It’s been very frustrating for our schools ... but I think our schools have spoken, and they want to bring this under control.”

Texas situation unique

Texas is unique in its current officiating setup. State high school sports association offices govern all aspects of officiating in 44 states. Four other states require officials to register with the state association but allow officials associations to do their own training.

Officials who wish to call games in Texas pay $50 dues annually to TASO. The UIL amendment would require the same fee if it takes effect. The fee would be used to cover things like insurance, rule books, background checks, teaching and administration.

I'm here in Austin at the state umpires meeting. UIL wants to fix something that ain't broke. Hope to have something good to take back to the membership next week. If not don't take that equipment out too soon cause there may not be anyone to ump those games.

Is this a fight over money and/or power? Is it because the UIL wants to schedule who umpires every game and the TASO does not want to give up that function? Or is it because the TASO thinks the UIL will cost them money by lowering or freezing the pay scale ? Other than that, what real difference does it make?

UIL does not want to schedule every game, that would still be done by local chapters. UIL says that training will still be done by local chapters. UIL already schedules contest like state championship games and other playoff contest in all sports. They have nothing to offer us that we do not already have and there is no way that just because I pay 50 bucks to the UIL that could make me a better official because as the guys that know me know I am a hopeless case as far as being a better official LOL. As an independent contractor I should not have to pay the UIL to work games for them.

NO it is not about 50 bucks. Frankly if you are not a member of one of the TASO chapters of any sport, it is hard to explain. My question to you is this, would you pay $150 for the right to umpire high school games? We presently pay $90. TASO gets $50 which is for all of their administrative fees, training aids and insurance just to name a few things. $40 goes to our local chapter for all of the supplies and administrative tools we need to schedule games in this area. Our area of the Beaumont chapter covers over 40 schools. I am not going to pay more money just to be registered with the UIL. UIL is not going to supply any training and their insurance they want to give us is not even close to the protection we get now.

I am not a TASO member, athletic director, coach or a player. I am just a guy that enjoys sports. And believe me, I appreciate all you umpires/referees!

I am just trying to get a handle on what this dispute is all about. If the TASO already trains, schedules and insures the umpires, why does the UIL want to take over?

I assume the TASO already grades and monitors the performance and actions of their referees. Is the UIL trying fix some problem in that area? If not, why don't they just let things be?

There must be a reason the UIL is wanting to change the way things have always been done. If anyone can explain their side of the story, I would like to hear it. Otherwise, I am throwing all my support to the TASO. Like that would help their cause! LOL!

I am a member of TASO and have been for about 10 years. I pay dues to TASO and the local football and baseball chapters. TASO and my local chapters have taught me rules, mechanics, how to deal with difficult situations, brought me along from working 7th, 8th grade ball to working varsity playoffs. They showed me where and what equipment to purchase and scheduled me games that fit in to my work/personal schedule. If I (never have yet) ever had at conflict with a school, or coach, player, fan, or the UIL there in no doubt in my mind that TASO would support me 100%. What would I get from the UIL for the additional 50 dollars? My guess is nothing. I don't know of a single one of my TASO brothers that going to register with the UIL so my suggestion would be for you dads to start reading the rule book and working on your base and plate mechanics. Hopefully this will be resolved before season.

It will be extremely funny if this takes effect and we see the real "daddy ball" rear it's ugly head. 

I say, not only do you sell tickets to the baseball games, but "pass the bucket" as a fundraiser when you get two or more dads' rasslin' out there about balls and strikes, and safe or out...I even say, allow pile drivers...our TASO members will be in the stands, laughing.  Even better, they will be in the stands giving "daddy umpires" grief over calls...HA HA HA HA HA HA HA  :D 

I would like to say that if the schools send us a schedule and ask for officials, then we will send them no matter what the UIL does. I dont want people thinking we are going to walk out. Only way we are not there is if the UIL tells the schools they can not use us then the problem will be between the UIL and the schools to find officials.

[quote name="carthagebaseball" post="745727" timestamp="1263848509"]
We were told in Waco by both TASO and UIL officials that none of this will take effect until next fall. Everything is a go this spring for all sports.

Is this a correct statement?
[/quote]

As far as anyone is TASO is concerned it is.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder