ESPN Rise Article on Yates!

Blue, I have seen my fair share of basketball in my lifetime. All kinds, from "high flying" to "stall ball".

I have seen state championship basketball, all classifications, for 38 straight years now. I think I know what I am talking about.

I have seen teams that play the "high flying" style win state championships while being able to let up when things got out of hand. They had that ability and I believe Yates has that ability too. Wise just chooses to keep the pedal to the metal, no matter what. No excuse for that.

I am sorry, but what is so hard to understand. A team is up by 88 points at halftime and continues to press the entire game, is running up the score intentionally. It is completely unnecessary. Has nothing to do with keeping the teams edge, or preparing them for playoffs, or preparing them for life, or.......... GET REAL!!! ::) You'll never convince me that letting up on the pressure is going to cost those guys anything.

Self glorification, that's all it is.

Like I said, I have no problem with someone scoring 170 points and I do not want teams to "quit" scoring. I just have a problem with a team that continues to trap and press when up by over 100 points. Totally unnecessary.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="742358" timestamp="1263253139"]
Blue, I have seen my fair share of basketball in my lifetime. All kinds, from "high flying" to "stall ball".

I have seen state championship basketball, all classifications, for 38 straight years now. I think I know what I am talking about.

I have seen teams that play the "high flying" style win state championships while being able to let up when things got out of hand. They had that ability and I believe Yates has that ability too. Wise just chooses to keep the pedal to the metal, no matter what. No excuse for that.

I am sorry, but what is so hard to understand. A team is up by 88 points at halftime and continues to press the entire game, is running up the score intentionally. It is completely unnecessary. Has nothing to do with keeping the teams edge, or preparing them for playoffs, or preparing them for life, or.......... GET REAL!!! ::) You'll never convince me that letting up on the pressure is going to cost those guys anything.

Like I said, I have no problem with someone scoring 170 points and I do not want teams to "quit" scoring. I just have a problem with a team that continues to trap and press when up by over 100 points. Totally unnecessary.
[/quote]Wasted 38 years watching a game instead of learning the game...sheez!!!! ::)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="742348" timestamp="1263251329"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=64603.msg742342#msg742342 date=1263250197]
I can agree with that karma...

and for you Bdove, I see all I need to see with HJ high flying hawks,

Where do you live to see Yates type of basketball all of the time, so much to be use to it,,,,oh thats right HF.

JK I know you didnt grow up there. It is amazing to watch them play. So will we see the same quality out of the championship HF teams you have been telling us about, or is it only possible in H town.
[/quote]pOPPA, don't try and call me out. You won't win. You really don't want to know how I know the kids from Yates High.
[/quote]

It really doesnt matter to me how you know them. I win without even playin, So i wouldnt worry bout it.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="742358" timestamp="1263253139"]

[/quote]

All of that is your opinion and that is fine.  No need to make others feel like their opinion is not valid.  I see your side of it but simply do agree.  I see this as a never say die system and kids who if they are let up for one minute may let up for the year.  It is a mentality and I believe he is trying to get them to buy into it.  I see your side.  Simply disagree.

[quote name="tokenwb" post="742597" timestamp="1263307647"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=64603.msg742376#msg742376 date=1263254540]
I know enough about the game. ;)

I have learned plenty over the years. I have had some great teachers.
[/quote]Like the late, great Coach Culley.  One of the best.
[/quote]

You got that right, tokenwb. That and the pickup games with your brother. ;) ;D

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="742600" timestamp="1263308057"]
[quote author=tokenwb link=topic=64603.msg742597#msg742597 date=1263307647]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=64603.msg742376#msg742376 date=1263254540]
I know enough about the game. ;)

I have learned plenty over the years. I have had some great teachers.
[/quote]Like the late, great Coach Culley.  One of the best.
[/quote]

You got that right, tokenwb. That and the pickup games with your brother. ;) ;D
[/quote]Yep,  the good ol' days. 

[quote name="Ron Burgundy" post="742716" timestamp="1263322105"]
Well I am glad that you guys have time to reminisce on the good ole days, but I don't. Pressing when you are up 88 points at half is extremely uneccesary, but it happened (can't change what happened) and I don't believe the only person to blame (if any) would be Lee. If you can't beat Yates' press, it's not Yates' fault. When you go out for sports, you should know that another team can beat you by as much as they want to if they have the ability. Yates' also can't water down their attack by putting subs in, because their subs are just as good as their starters. [b]Yates didn't sign a contract to not play to their best abilities so every other sorry team can appear mediocre. [/b]
[right]Get over it,[/right]
[right]Ron[/right]
[/quote]They should always play to their best abilities,  just call off the press when your up by 100.

man if u got it flaunt it ( no homo) but dont flaunt it where u beat a team by 100 there is no point to that. wat do u accoplish a new record here and there but other than nothing. ive heard they press the whole game? why? yes they r very talented not dogging them but this a case where u have to show a little mercy

Gamble is a different coach... Gamble does more to protect leads than he does to create a spread.  Gamble played a slow set-up ball that was very guard dominated.  Basically he put the onnice on his guards to run the half court offense so well that it cannot be stopped.  The press was used to create leads or get back into games, but Gamble was a half court guy.

This Yates team is a press all day team like Wheatly of the past.  They play one way!!! These kids even press on the park courts.  If your guards are good enough or deep enough to slow the game down, you can beat them.  They are very athletic and it is less about overall talent.  They are beating teams that are MORE talented than they are.  The depth is magnified because of the system that they run. Every kid has brought into the 32 minutes of hell philosophy and they play it well.  Yes they have been COACHED to that level.  Yates has had these same type of athletes in the past, Wise just turned it into a winning formula.  Fact of the matter is that he did not press anywhere nar as much at Hightower because they had good bigs.  His style played out differently.  Bellaire is obviously and grossly more talented but Yates would beat the breaks off of them!

He has inhereted a team of athletic short guys so he leans to his stregnth.  Young is very talentd. Peters is a freaky athlete, and Gardner is a really solid shooter.  Elton Roy is a sleeper.  But no more TALENTED than Skip, Garrett, Davis, Young or Perk, Marshal, Young, Thomas or Ford, Taylor, McFarlin, Ewing.  Two of those three team won State and one made it there.  Two of them were National #1 teams, just like Yates might be.  Central's team wasn't as deep but the starting five was just as, if not more, talented.

What up ..short..still not getting it , huh..Gamble ..class, winner, great teams, character, all adjectives about him and his teams..yes, they could have won and depleted teams. David Greens teams maybe could have too...But they did'nt. Why? simple. Got even more respect when they showed respect to the opposition. It's called sportsmanship. One coach realizing that his team is way more skilled and talented than the other. Then amazingly, calling off the dogs to only win by 30 or 35. Why, because the other team is full of kids.. Yep, 15, 16 and 17 year old kids. Great life lesson. we are here to win, not humiliate or be braggish or straight up classless. We want our school, because that is who we are representing when we compete, to be known as a student body who recognizes that, we may be better in basketball, but it is afterall....a game. Does not mean we would be better in anything else in life...Maybe, but maybe not..its a great thread!!!

[quote name="shorttexas1" post="743703" timestamp="1263475171"]
Gamble is a different coach... Gamble does more to protect leads than he does to create a spread.  Gamble played a slow set-up ball that was very guard dominated.  Basically he put the onnice on his guards to run the half court offense so well that it cannot be stopped.  The press was used to create leads or get back into games, but Gamble was a half court guy.

[b]This Yates team is a press all day team like Wheatly of the past.  They play one way[/b]!!! These kids even press on the park courts.  If your guards are good enough or deep enough to slow the game down, you can beat them.  They are very athletic and it is less about overall talent.  They are beating teams that are MORE talented than they are.  The depth is magnified because of the system that they run. Every kid has brought into the 32 minutes of heck philosophy and they play it well.  Yes they have been COACHED to that level.  Yates has had these same type of athletes in the past, Wise just turned it into a winning formula.  [b]Fact of the matter is that he did not press anywhere nar as much at Hightower because they had good bigs.  His style played out differently[/b].  Bellaire is obviously and grossly more talented but Yates would beat the breaks off of them!

He has inhereted a team of athletic short guys so he leans to his stregnth.  Young is very talentd. Peters is a freaky athlete, and Gardner is a really solid shooter.  Elton Roy is a sleeper.  But no more TALENTED than Skip, Garrett, Davis, Young or Perk, Marshal, Young, Thomas or Ford, Taylor, McFarlin, Ewing.  Two of those three team won State and one made it there.  Two of them were National #1 teams, just like Yates might be.  Central's team wasn't as deep but the starting five was just as, if not more, talented.
[/quote]

Yates can only play one way? Finally someone admitted they can and have. Just goes to show everyone that what they did the other night was preventable. I don't care about Yates one bit. Yates is too far away for my give a poop factor. But I don't agree with the way the game played out and I truely believe most of the people that are trying to defend them don't really agree either. Just too good of a fight to pass up. Anyway, It's when you say one thing and completely contradict yourself 5 lines later is when you should consider giving up the fight and just go on to something else.

[quote name="bees85" post="743692" timestamp="1263465736"]
Yates is a very talented team no doubt but as a bumblebee we also had teams that were THAT good and yet [b]you never saw coach Gamble trounce an already defeated foe it was called class. Yates coach has a lot to learn in that dept.....[/b][/quote]agreed

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="Sloe" post="744133" timestamp="1263524368"]
[quote author=bees85 link=topic=64603.msg743692#msg743692 date=1263465736]
Yates is a very talented team no doubt but as a bumblebee we also had teams that were THAT good and yet [b]you never saw coach Gamble trounce an already defeated foe it was called class. Yates coach has a lot to learn in that dept.....[/b][/quote]agreed
[/quote]

Yes! That is the missing ingredient here. Class.

• 1 month later...
[quote name="GCMPats" post="744214" timestamp="1263560959"]
[quote author=Sloe link=topic=64603.msg744133#msg744133 date=1263524368]
[quote author=bees85 link=topic=64603.msg743692#msg743692 date=1263465736]
[/quote]

Yes! That is the missing ingredient here. Class.
[/quote]Yates 3rd string could beat Lincoln's teams. Yates is just that good. Accept it! Again, you're not going to hold back the bench or their talent.

[font=Courier]I've read on here all the hate & the "aau all-star" team stuff.

Several years ago when Ozen almost beat them in the Regional semis then Wheatley beat them in the finals, most of these kids were sophomores except for Anthony Jones and a few others...but no one said anything about them then. 2 years later, those same kids are on an all-star team.[/font]

why would u play the game if your opponet is not playing their hardest at all times?it is a bigger disrespect for someone to LET U HAVE A CHANCE TO COMPETE BY NOT GIVING 100% THE WHOLE GAME.it doesnt matter if u lose by 75 or 1 its still a loss. if yates only beats a team by 10 then that team & parents will disrespect yates by saying yates aint that good they only beat us by 10. too many cry babies in todays america thats why the country is going down hill.

There is no team in the state of Texas in the last 15 years that could beat this Yates team. Maybe the 1999/00 Willowridge could but no one else. This team is like a ALLStar team of talent. Houston doesnt have zones so a child from North Houston can go to a school in south Houston if he or she chooses. Yates has 8 jr's on this team as well.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476