J'Covan Brown

CThoops

[quote name="dogs1218" post="709043" timestamp="1258323632"]
J'covan Brown started for the Longhorns today vs. UC Irvine.

13 points, 2 reb, 1 steal, 5 TO through 21 min.

Hope the best for J'Covan throughout the season.
[/quote]

i told them,but they didnt want to believe me.. I said he wud start also

Guest gladiator2
Brown had another good game tonight. He can flat out play, his passing skills are very good. As long as he keeps his head on straight, we will be seeing one of the best to ever come out of this area. The Horn's should be very strong for years to come. Hook'em Horn's!

[quote name="hjhawks" post="709518" timestamp="1258352326"]
Where are all the people who swore he wouldn't ever put on a longhorns uniform???  Way to go J'Covan!!! keep fighting!
[/quote]I didn't think he would play for the horns.Not because of a lack of ability or attitude but because of the academics it takes to stay eligible at UT.Hopefully he is maturing enough to appreciate what he's been given.The talent has never been questioned.

Brown has played well EXCEPT for the turnovers...  He will needs to work on not being up in bad  positions, he is way to smart of a player for that.  I had my doubts about him playing for UT but I did not doubt his talent.  He still has BIG shoes to fill to be the best from the area...  Right now 6'10" Perk and 6'9" Jackson own those honors... Both have a State Championsip and a NBA title... Those guys are the best to ever come out of the area!

[quote name="scooter!" post="721269" timestamp="1259639395"]
[quote author=The GOAT link=topic=62465.msg721133#msg721133 date=1259627075]
His scoring is going to increase when Jai Lucus joins the team in Dec. I think they'll move him to the 2 guard
[/quote]I thought Jai was more of a 2 guard at florida?
[/quote]I remember reading something about the Lucas family wanted him at point guard.

[quote name="localsports" post="709726" timestamp="1258390283"]
I feel J'Covan was better than Willie Warren, Oka. via Fort Worth, in high school and was arguably the best talent to come out of SE Texas. Talent like that will always get a second chance. Good Luck J'Covan!!
[/quote]

Co is the man dont get me wrong but never the best talent to come out of no SE Texas...Bj Tyler was way better I can name at least three more at the top of my head too

First of all, good luck to J'Covan! 

Secondly, an earlier post on this thread said J'Covan might be the best to ever come out of SE Texas.  Thankfully, several other posters have said that honor may be a little premature considering such local players such as Kendrick Perkins, Stephan Jackson, BJ Tyler, Earl Evans, etc. 

But there is one name that is almost never mentioned when listing great athletes from SE Texas and that is Walter "Buddy" Davis from Nederland and Texas A&M.  Here is what the Texas Aggie website says about Davis:

"Davis (Nederland, Texas) was named the top two-sport track athlete in history by USA Track & Field several years ago. He earned third-team All-America honors in 1951 after leading the Aggies to their first Southwest Conference title in 28 years and their first-ever NCAA Tournament berth. Davis went on win the gold medal and set the world record in the high jump in 1952, then played five seasons in the National Basketball Association for the Philadelphia Warriors and the St. Louis Hawks."

A world record and Olympic gold medal in the high jump and then five years in the NBA - not too shabby.  Even though Davis played over 50 years ago, I think he is worthy of at least being mentioned as one of the best ever from SE Texas.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder