UIL to decide grid title sites in all classes

There's entirely too many state championship games to be played in one weekend at the same site.  Unless they did a thurday-friday-saturday deal.

If the sites are predetermined hopefully they will set several games at the same place.  It was always nice to get up on a Saturday morning  and drive to the Astrodome and watch 3 good playoff games.  Having the opportunity to watch more than one state title game in the same day really don't sould all that bad.  The only bad thing is is that that site might not be neutral or one of the opponents. 

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="687758" timestamp="1256666898"]
There's entirely too many state championship games to be played in one weekend at the same site.  Unless they did a thurday-friday-saturday deal.

If the sites are predetermined hopefully they will set several games at the same place.  It was always nice to get up on a Saturday morning  and drive to the Astrodome and watch 3 good playoff games.  Having the opportunity to watch more than one state title game in the same day really don't sould all that bad.  The only bad thing is is that that site might not be neutral or one of the opponents. 
[/quote]

I would bet that the sites will be geographically located in the general region of most of the lower classification schools. The UIL is driven by MONEY! They will not "cut off their nose to spite their face".

[quote name="KFDM COOP" post="687490" timestamp="1256648704"]
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/uil_to_decide_grid_title_sites_in_all_classes.html
[/quote]

This just in, "all playoff games for 4A & 5A will be scheduled in round robin format and played at Van Vleck stadium".......

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="PURPLE 4EVER" post="687775" timestamp="1256667915"]
This is bull!
What are the odds of having the game in the corner of the state, like Texarcana or Beaumont, or in the panhandle, or even west texas.
The teams from Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio / Austin (the probably sites for the games) WILL get homefield advantage.
[/quote]

How many 1, 2, and 3A schools are there in Houston? There's no way Houston hosts a State Championship for those classifications. You're going to see these games at the larger 4A or 5A stadiums where several of those schools are located.

[quote name="PURPLE 4EVER" post="687775" timestamp="1256667915"]
This is bull!
What are the odds of having the game in the corner of the state, like Texarcana or Beaumont, or in the panhandle, or even west texas.
The teams from Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio / Austin (the probably sites for the games) WILL get homefield advantage.
[/quote]

Texarkana

[quote name="Bobcatfan4life" post="687857" timestamp="1256671912"]
All the other sports State Championship games are in Austin. I wouldn't be surprised if the UIL puts the football championships there as well
[/quote]

That's my feeling on this....it is the most centrally located place in the state no matter what school is in it.  Yes, there will alwyas be someone closer than the other.

My only thing is that it is much easier for 4A & 5A to travel to these predetermined site than most 3A-1A teams.  Coaches need to have the choice in the matter....especially the smaller schools.

[quote name="babyshoe" post="687885" timestamp="1256673143"]
I would love to see some playoff games at DKR in Austin.
[/quote]

It is nice to see a game at those big college stadiums....got to witness Kirbyville and China Spring at Kyle Field 3 yrs ago.  Can be very intimidating for some teams though.

Guest ECBucFan
From TexasFootball.com: RE centralized playoff sites;

[i]No more drama, now -- the UIL has all the executive power in the decision. While this takes the luster out of one of Texas' most signature practices, it will make lives considerably easier on football fans and [u][i][b]marketers[/b][/i][/u]. [u][b]This will surely help the UIL monetize its games a bit better[/b][/u].[/i]

$$$ Talks. To heck with everything else!  :(

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami