Past vrs. Present

no-look

Teams from the seventies, eighties, and nineties,could they hang with todays teams? Read where Silsbee's has missed the playoffs just a few times...........Wonder how they would match up with todays Silsbee team?.......Didn't HJ have a team that averaged close to a hundred points a game? .......the game has progressed and the players in general are more athletic but are they that much better?......I believe our 74 team could win our district today...... ???

If you're referring to the 74 Huntington team they could play with any of todays clubs.I got the opportunity to play against them and they were something special.There were alot of good clubs years back that didn't advance due to the 1 team per distict playoff format.The kids have so much more opportunity today to get in the gyms year around that they should be better.Fact is though the game hasn't changed,the teams that are successful now are the one that are taught fundamentals and discipline just like in the past.The old Lincoln,Silsbee and HJ clubs could more than hold there own in todays circles.

[quote name="whsalum" post="686181" timestamp="1256520758"]
If you're referring to the 74 Huntington team they could play with any of todays clubs.I got the opportunity to play against them and they were something special.There were alot of good clubs years back that didn't advance due to the 1 team per distict playoff format.The kids have so much more opportunity today to get in the gyms year around that they should be better.Fact is though the game hasn't changed,the teams that are successful now are the one that are taught fundamentals and discipline just like in the past.The old Lincoln,Silsbee and HJ clubs could more than hold there own in todays circles.
[/quote]Huntington and Kennard were in the same district most of the time...we might of had a few more state titles if it wasn't for them..lol....you talk about a good press, Kennard could bring it....I thought our 72 team was as good as the 74.....we played Garrison in a warm up game that year and beat them 40+...Kennard beat us and Garrison beat the team that beat Kennard.....Garrison lost to Pottsboro by one point in the championship game...I guess the bottom line is you get it done or you dont........just a bad feeling to see a team you beat by forty lose by one point in the finals... ???

Guest stevenash
[quote name="no-look" post="686552" timestamp="1256571880"]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=61312.msg686181#msg686181 date=1256520758]
[/quote]Huntington and Kennard were in the same district most of the time...we might of had a few more state titles if it wasn't for them..lol....you talk about a good press, Kennard could bring it....I thought our 72 team was as good as the 74.....we played Garrison in a warm up game that year and beat them 40+...Kennard beat us and Garrison beat the team that beat Kennard.....Garrison lost to Pottsboro by one point in the championship game...I guess the bottom line is you get it done or you dont........just a bad feeling to see a team you beat by forty lose by one point in the finals... ???
[/quote]

Nolook- You must remember one important thing when comparing todays teams to those of yesteryear.  Back then, there was no GPS involved.  That should tell you all you need to know.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="686961" timestamp="1256592418"]
I'm not the stats guy but HJ had a team in 1991 that still holds some of the state scoring records. I want to say it was 109 points a game. They were salty and I think they could play with just about anyone. They had the hieght, speed, and the outside game to do it.
[/quote]Not sure exactly what year it was that HJ played Troup in the Huntington tourney but that was one of the best games I can remember.....

Guest stevenash
[quote name="no-look" post="686976" timestamp="1256593232"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=61312.msg686961#msg686961 date=1256592418]
I'm not the stats guy but HJ had a team in 1991 that still holds some of the state scoring records. I want to say it was 109 points a game. They were salty and I think they could play with just about anyone. They had the hieght, speed, and the outside game to do it.
[/quote]Not sure exactly what year it was that HJ played Troup in the Huntington tourney but that was one of the best games I can remember.....
[/quote]
The HJ vs Troup game was the 1992 team.  HJ won the Huntington Tourney in 91 and in their victories was a victory over the defending Oklahoma State Champions.  That particular team had a front line of 6'7", 6'7" and 6'3"and the team had the equivalent of 8 starters.  They were the best conditioned team I have ever seen.  Can still remember the coach telling them not to foul the opponent on a break away layup because he did not want the opposition to be given any chance to rest.  Also remember one requirement to be a member of that team was to complete a 15 mile race the day before the first practice.  The coach also ran.  Team was not particularly athletic but understood the game and team objectives collectively better than any I have seen.  Full court defensive pressure applied every single minute of every game and running full speed offensively at all times.  This team out smarted and out conditioned nearly everyone they played.

[quote name="quickdraw34" post="687771" timestamp="1256667615"]
nolook, i have a copy of that game. I just watched it. HJ vs. Troup in the Huntington Tourney. It was a great game. Greg Austin got hurt in that game. I'll make you a copy if you want one.
[/quote]Make it as we speak......would love one.

Guest stevenash
[quote name="no-look" post="687884" timestamp="1256673127"]
[quote author=quickdraw34 link=topic=61312.msg687771#msg687771 date=1256667615]
nolook, i have a copy of that game. I just watched it. HJ vs. Troup in the Huntington Tourney. It was a great game. Greg Austin got hurt in that game. I'll make you a copy if you want one.
[/quote]

Ain't technology grand?

[quote name="stevenash" post="687979" timestamp="1256678218"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=61312.msg687884#msg687884 date=1256673127]
[/quote]

Ain't technology grand?
[/quote]knowledge and availibility comes together!......we will need some help in that field Dec10-12......can we make a deal?

Guest stevenash
[quote name="no-look" post="688039" timestamp="1256680760"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=61312.msg687979#msg687979 date=1256678218]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=61312.msg687884#msg687884 date=1256673127]
[/quote]

Ain't technology grand?
[/quote]knowledge and availibility comes together!......we will need some help in that field Dec10-12......can we make a deal?

Definitely  Part of that deal is a spot for you in the skybox including catered meals
[/quote]

[quote name="no-look" post="685563" timestamp="1256439767"]
Teams from the seventies, eighties, and nineties,could they hang with todays teams? Read where Silsbee's has missed the playoffs just a few times...........Wonder how they would match up with todays Silsbee team?.......Didn't HJ have a team that averaged close to a hundred points a game? .......the game has progressed and the players in general are more athletic but are they that much better?......I believe our 74 team could win our district today...... ???
[/quote]

i dont know about the 70s or 80s but I know WB 95 team could hang and possibly beat the teams today. The Central 90 team and 99 team could also.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder