Cardinals, Mustangs meet in crucial 21-3A tilt

[b]Cardinals, Mustangs meet in crucial 21-3A tilt

Gabriel Pruett
The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY —[/b] It has been since 1975 since a Bridge City team has defeated a team with the name West Orange.

The Cardinals defeated West Orange 21-0 that year and since West Orange-Stark is a perfect 24-0 against Bridge City.

“Everyone knows Bridge City has never beat West Orange-Stark,” Bridge City coach Cris Stump said. “Our kids are excited to at least try to end that. No doubt this is the most confidence we have had going into a game against the Mustangs. We may be totally wrong but we are confident we can win if we play well.”

WO-S coach Dan Hooks knows this year’s Cardinals (5-2, 1-1) will be tough for his Mustangs (5-2, 1-1) to take down again to make it 25 in a row.

“The Cardinals are much improved on both sides of the ball,” Hooks said. “They now tackle people and don’t give up too many points.”

It has been a dramatic change over the last two years for Bridge City coach Cris Stump and his Cardinals on defense.

The Cardinals gave up 539 points in 2007 along with 500.2 yards a game. Bridge City knocked it down to 311.3 per game and 160 points in eight games last season.

This year the Cardinals have given up 114 points in seven contests and 252.3 yards per game.

WO-S appears to have found its offense after last week’s 62-0 thumping of Hamshire-Fannett.

James Haynes found the end zone three times in the game and rushed for 156 yards. Quarterback Reggie Garrett rushed for 97 yards and had five touchdowns on the ground.

Britton Lindsey continues to lead the Mustangs in rushing with 410 yards and five touchdowns.

Garrett has completed 56 of his 115 pass attempts with eight touchdowns.

Mark Roberts has a team-high 20 receptions for 350 yards and two touchdowns.

The Mustangs’ offense is averaging 284.9 yards a game in 2009.

Besides being impressed with the Cardinals’ defense, Hooks said his defense better keep an eye on the Bridge City offense.

“(Matt) Menard, (Cameron) Dishon and (Josh) Lemoine are all a year older and are making some plays for Coach Stump over there,” Hooks said.

Menard has bruised his way to 695 yards and eight touchdowns this season while Lemoine has passed for 603 yards and nine touchdowns.

Dishon does his damage all over the field. The sophomore has rushed for 160 yards and caught 14 passes for 275 yards. Dishon has a total of 12 touchdowns.

“We saw film of them against Silsbee and our kids are well aware of how good the Cardinals are this season,” Hooks said. “It is going to be a tough game. A lot of the points scored on us came off turnovers where the other team didn’t have to drive too far. We didn’t do that last week and we certainly can’t do that this week.”

Stump is wanting to make sure his Cardinals give themselves the best chance to win against the Mustangs.

“Last year they scored 35 points without their offense being on the field,” Stump said. “We have to stop that 35 for sure.”

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="683318" timestamp="1256248769"]
I for one am hoping for a BC victory!  It wouldn't hurt for the WOS fans to feel what its like a few rungs down the ladder.
[/quote]

Not this year. The rungs on the WO-S ladder are still solid for at least the next 5 years. Go 'Stangs!

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="683318" timestamp="1256248769"]
I for one am hoping for a BC victory!  It wouldn't hurt for the WOS fans to feel what its like a few rungs down the ladder.
[/quote]

BC I'm Pulling For you On This One...We Went Through The Same Dry Years With Newton,It Was 25 years Maybe Longer Since We Had Beaten Them..Then In 2008 We Beat Them For The District Championship..WOS, IMO Is Not The Force They Used To Be..We Played WOS This Year And...Well I Won't Go Into That...But BC Can Beat WOS... Scoring 62 Points On A School that Is In Total Dis-Aray Is Not A Good Stat..IMO..I'll Probably Catch Some Flak On This Post But So Be It . I Heard It Through The Grapevine We Will Be Back In 3A Ball Next Year...Good Luck..!!!   

things are changing over there at west orange as most west orange fan can see.toby foreman the OC there is starting to bring back the old look to the mustang program .the  RUN is comming back and with what foreman has to work with in the years to come and the wo-s fans are getting excited about it.i have always said when crouch was at west orange and passed  and passed and passed it would catch up with them and this year its not working at all WELL MAYBE some  lol. with what foreman has comming back  for him the next few years  look for wo-s to run more than pass

I wish folk would stop dogging WO-S out for a 62-0 win over HF saying it was nothing beating a down team.  There's nobody flipping for joy over here people.  It was a solid win for the Stangs, the game had to be played, it was on the schedule and the best team won 62-0, let it go.  Oldwildcat, I won't send no flak your way, but I do think you've been sniffing argon, or something with argon in it.  I agree the Cards can beat WO-S, I also believe Sabine Pass could beat Southlake Carroll, they'll just be needin some things go their way.  BC has improved and will continue to with their coaching but they may not be ready for what's coming tonight.

[quote name="OrangeFBfan" post="683353" timestamp="1256252082"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=61188.msg683318#msg683318 date=1256248769]
[/quote]

Not this year. The rungs on the WO-S ladder are still solid for at least the next 5 years. Go 'Stangs!
[/quote]
You do know if yall happened to get by BC this year yall are gonna lose the next two years? You think Menard and Dishon are good now just wait till they're juniors and seniors...

As for tonight WO-S 21 BC 27

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="Majestyk" post="683659" timestamp="1256302515"]
I wish folk would stop dogging WO-S out for a 62-0 win over HF saying it was nothing beating a down team.  There's nobody flipping for joy over here people.  It was a solid win for the Stangs, the game had to be played, it was on the schedule and the best team won 62-0, let it go.  Oldwildcat, I won't send no flak your way, but I do think you've been sniffing argon, or something with argon in it.  I agree the Cards can beat WO-S, I also believe Sabine Pass could beat Southlake Carroll, they'll just be needin some things go their way.  BC has improved and will continue to with their coaching but they may not be ready for what's coming tonight.
[/quote]

Thought I Was Getting Away clean..But Then, The ARGON Injection.. :-\ , I See Your Point, But Did It Ever Occur To You That WOS May Not Be Ready For What's Coming Tonight..It's Still Football And Stranger Things Have Happened...Have A Good Day...And Good Luck... BC

[quote name="BCTreasurer" post="683735" timestamp="1256307860"]
[quote author=OrangeFBfan link=topic=61188.msg683353#msg683353 date=1256252082]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=61188.msg683318#msg683318 date=1256248769]
[/quote]

[/quote]
You do know if yall happened to get by BC this year yall are gonna lose the next two years? You think Menard and Dishon are good now just wait till they're juniors and seniors...

[/quote]

Put the pipe down, and stop smokin' that stuff! No-way BC wins. They've never beaten West Orange or West Orange-Stark. Ain't gonna happen tonight! Go 'Stangs!

[quote name="BCTreasurer" post="683735" timestamp="1256307860"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hmmmm... I'll have to disagree with you on that one. WOS will only be starting 2 seniors on each side of the ball. If they are going to get them, this would be the year.

[quote name="Majestyk" post="683659" timestamp="1256302515"]
[/quote]

you're right... the better team did win that night, but so far HF hasn't been on that side of the scoreboard once this season..
so dont say it was a solid win because it wasnt! that game didn't define anything for WOS, get over it.
tonight, i say BC wins by 2 possessions.
the only person that needs to let that game go is you... no one said anything about it on this thread until you brought it up

[quote name="33" post="683931" timestamp="1256321434"]
[quote author=Majestyk link=topic=61188.msg683659#msg683659 date=1256302515]
[/quote]

you're right... the better team did win that night, but so far HF hasn't been on that side of the scoreboard once this season..
so dont say it was a solid win because it wasnt! that game didn't define anything for WOS, get over it.
the only person that needs to let that game go is you... no one said anything about it on this thread until you brought it up
[/quote]

i like you 33. you make comically moronic posts, you dont know how to argue, and you are a karma blackhole :D  how do you want that fat black bird cooked?

[quote name="Gasilla" post="683850" timestamp="1256316458"]
[quote author=BCTreasurer link=topic=61188.msg683735#msg683735 date=1256307860]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hmmmm... I'll have to disagree with you on that one. WOS will only be starting 2 seniors on each side of the ball. If they are going to get them, this would be the year.
[/quote]

Notice how I put IF they get by ;)

[quote name="33" post="683931" timestamp="1256321434"]
[quote author=Majestyk link=topic=61188.msg683659#msg683659 date=1256302515]
[/quote]

[/quote]
33.. i am from bc and believe in bc but lets get real.. wos is wos. they will always be great and bc has about a 10 percent chance to win. i hope they do pull of the upset but realistically talking wos should win be atleast 20

[quote name="KFDM COOP" post="683987" timestamp="1256326372"]
[quote author=stangsports link=topic=61188.msg683966#msg683966 date=1256324959]
oh lord.
now if the mustangs win tonight...their just "Getting By"
goodness what has the world come too  ;)
[/quote] No kidding. WO-S has several starters out, should be a good game with WOS winning.
[/quote]

Why does WO-S have several starters out?

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="KFDM COOP" post="683987" timestamp="1256326372"]
[quote author=stangsports link=topic=61188.msg683966#msg683966 date=1256324959]
oh lord.
now if the mustangs win tonight...their just "Getting By"
goodness what has the world come too  ;)
[/quote] No kidding. WO-S has several starters out, should be a good game with WOS winning.
[/quote]

At this time of the season nearly ALL TEAMS have some starters out.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami