DEER IN SOUTHEAST TEXAS 13 INCH OR GREATER SPREAD

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="rip2506" post="931196" timestamp="1292101064"]
It looks like that main beam was broken off. :o
[/quote]

Broken off or an injury that will not allow it to grow. I know that if they suffer a major injury then it will show in horn production on one side. He may have the genetics of a huge deer but an injury when you will always have him making inferior horns.

On the other hand, it may just be broken (or sawed  :D ) off.

[quote name="rip2506" post="931196" timestamp="1292101064"]
It looks like that main beam was broken off. :o
[/quote]

I think it was injured, it wasn't broken the part where the main beam should have been was just a knot. It was a legitimate AR buck, it would have never grown the other antler. Notice how the brow tine grows away from the injured area then up.

I believe that East Texas will benefit from the AR rules. I hunt a small acreage place in Tyler County. I am running 7 game cameras on 60 acres. Last year I had 1 buck on camera that would make 13” this year I have had 5 bucks on camera that would make 13”. I do understand that there are some inferior deer that need to be culled, but I guess they will get to die of old age. I would guess that maybe only 1 out of every 30 bucks will never make 13” if we let them grow. I also believe that 90 percent of the hunting population does not know how and will not cull the proper deer if we leave it up to the individuals. I wish that there were enough Game Wardens to properly enforce the AR rule. I don’t think that they should cut anyone any slack, it should be 13” or big ticket. I think that last year was a waste of time because the Game Wardens gave out to many warnings instead of tickets. Most of the people that got warnings will probably kill another under size deer, because there were no real consequences for their actions. Is the 13” rule perfect? No, but it is better than nothing. Now we need to figure out how to stop the poachers.

There will never be a full proof solution for poachers in my opinion. I just don't think that there is enough man power to be out there searching to find enough people every year for other to be concerned about it. I think if many numbers of people were caught or maybe even if the ones that are caught were put in the newspapers and people can see how unworthy it is to poach then I think we will see it be reduced but it doesn't get publicized very well so people think they will not get caught and go out and poach.  I know there are quite a few caught every year and I personally wish the press would bash these guys harder to maybe scare the others from doing it but I guess it is a waist of time for the press to do work like this. Just my opinion though.

• 1 month later...
[quote name="injun" post="967594" timestamp="1297935441"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=61122.msg929573#msg929573 date=1291937704]
And yet another spike bites the dust.
[/quote] I know you are way smarter than most on this web site but, that is not a spike.. Just a deer with an unbranched antler
[/quote]

According to state law, having at least one unbranched antler is a spike.

This from the Texas Parks and Wildlife website:
[b]
"For the purposes of this report, the term "spikes" includes all deer with at least one unbranched antler."[/b]

In different places in the code it is referenced at both a spike and a deer with at least one unbranched antler. The terms are interchangeable.

Now if you want to talk about the common use of the term by Texas deer hunters, it usually means one horn on both sides.

[quote name="tvc184" post="967837" timestamp="1297970521"]
[quote author=injun link=topic=61122.msg967594#msg967594 date=1297935441]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=61122.msg929573#msg929573 date=1291937704]
And yet another spike bites the dust.
[/quote] I know you are way smarter than most on this web site but, that is not a spike.. Just a deer with an unbranched antler
[/quote]

According to state law, having at least one unbranched antler is a spike.

This from the Texas Parks and Wildlife website:
[b]
"For the purposes of this report, the term "spikes" includes all deer with at least one unbranched antler."[/b]

In different places in the code it is referenced at both a spike and a deer with at least one unbranched antler. The terms are interchangeable.

Now if you want to talk about the common use of the term by Texas deer hunters, it usually means one horn on both sides.
[/quote]WRONG...TPWD defines a spike as "having no more than one point on either antler"
Look it up

No reason to get in a snit. The quote that I posted ([size=10pt][b]"For the purposes of this report, the term "spikes" includes all deer with at least one unbranched antler."[/b][/size]) came directly from the Parks and Wildlife website. Maybe I should call them up and have them remove that quote.

You can call it a spike, no more than one point or an unbranched antler.

Out of curiosity, how would you describe the difference between "no more than one point" and an "unbranched antler"?

[quote name="tvc184" post="968088" timestamp="1298012088"]
I do get what you are saying but I don't see the big deal. During the late anterless/spike season, it says that there can be no branched horns.

Is that good enough for you or do you want to keep quibbling over semantics?
[/quote]I just figured it out..Tvc must be a woman, wont quit untill she has the last word

[quote name="injun" post="968376" timestamp="1298066328"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=61122.msg968088#msg968088 date=1298012088]
I do get what you are saying but I don't see the big deal. During the late anterless/spike season, it says that there can be no branched horns.

[/quote]I just figured it out..Tvc must be a woman, wont quit untill she has the last word
[/quote]

No but does that mean you just tried to get in the last word?  :D

[quote name="tvc184" post="968434" timestamp="1298076953"]
[quote author=injun link=topic=61122.msg968376#msg968376 date=1298066328]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=61122.msg968088#msg968088 date=1298012088]

[/quote]

No but does that mean you just tried to get in the last word?  :D
[/quote]No just like watching you throw your nickle's worth in on everybody coments, and I knew you would respond again.. Like I said not happy til you get last comment

[quote name="injun" post="969563" timestamp="1298318843"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=61122.msg969530#msg969530 date=1298313694]

::)

More like a penny worth but I won't quibble on the cost.
[/quote]Good girl!!!
[/quote]

What is your problem. Injun?  He called an unbranched deer a spike and you had to jump on it.  so what?   

[quote name="westend1" post="969584" timestamp="1298323987"]
[quote author=injun link=topic=61122.msg969563#msg969563 date=1298318843]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=61122.msg969530#msg969530 date=1298313694]

::)

More like a penny worth but I won't quibble on the cost.
[/quote]Good girl!!!
[/quote]

What is your problem. Injun?  He called an unbranched deer a spike and you had to jump on it.  so what?   
[/quote]I like nit picking on " Know it all people " ... You got a dog in this fight?

[quote name="westend1" post="969795" timestamp="1298344110"]
Yeah.. I'm trying to read about hunting and you are posting garbage about whether or not the deer is a spike.
[/quote]Get a life.. Your corn fed petting zoo deer will still be in Junction come November

[quote name="HOOKEM1762" post="969948" timestamp="1298386936"]
Hey injun, I know you are not a taxidermist but i heard you shure do "mount" alot of deer.
Just my two cents.
[/quote]never actually mounted one but after a week in the woods have thought about it

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder