DEER IN SOUTHEAST TEXAS 13 INCH OR GREATER SPREAD

[quote name="injun" post="969951" timestamp="1298387301"]
[quote author=HOOKEM1762 link=topic=61122.msg969948#msg969948 date=1298386936]
Hey injun, I know you are not a taxidermist but i heard you shure do "mount" alot of deer.
Just my two cents.
[/quote]never actually mounted one but after a week in the woods have thought about it
[/quote]

I'm honestly hearing banjo's right now

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="injun" post="969894" timestamp="1298372561"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=61122.msg969795#msg969795 date=1298344110]
Yeah.. I'm trying to read about hunting and you are posting garbage about whether or not the deer is a spike.
[/quote]Get a life.. Your corn fed petting zoo deer will still be in Junction come November
[/quote]

No need to hate just because I have a cool lease.  Jealousy is unbecoming.

[quote name="HOOKEM1762" post="970043" timestamp="1298397015"]
I think that injun does most of his hunting with a ford, case of beer and a spotlight.  He's right though, it is hard to judge the size of a deer with a spotlight and a 6 pack in you.
[/quote]Not really...I don't like Fords

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name="rip2506" post="1046105" timestamp="1314898309"]
How do you post a picture
[/quote]

Go to a photo hosting website (like photobucket.com or imageshack.com, sign up for a free account, upload the photo to the site and the put it on here.

You end up with a web page that is only your photo and its url will look something like...
http: //i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/yourname/yourphoto.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I have to say I am very supportive of the 13 inch Rule in East Texas.. I have already begun to see the results and look forward to what the future holds for our lease.  Last year we had a beautiful tall 8pt (Shooter) by anyone's standards only allowed to walk because he was under 13 and possible under 12.. Now this would have been the perfect argument for why the 13 inch platform stinks.. and last year I would have agreed whole heartedly because this guy was a trophy deer for eastex.. Well guess what guys.. this year he improved his width and is a true monster by eastex standards.. would not have happened without the rule..  I like it! And he is on my early season bow hit list. Have a nice 11pt that he too would be a nice Eastex trophy this year.. but if allowed to season one or even two more years he could really be something special.. sure he could get ran over.. but neither of these deer got to their currrent status by being stupid. These are two honor students!

It works, period. It is not perfect and a good management plan would be better but most of these leases could have gotten a management plan years ago but would rather go by the east Texas, if it's brown, it's down rule.

Soon people in east Texas will start taking some nice (not necessarily trophy) deer with some trophies scattered in with them. It beats taking spikes and basket 4 or 6 pointers.

[quote name="LumRaiderFan" post="1057087" timestamp="1316040597"]
rip, don't get him started!  ;D

I'll just add that big bucks in Texas are nothing new...folks been killing them here long before the 13" rule!

OK, I'm done!
[/quote]

Too late.

Yes, I have seen some huge bucks killed in east Texas every year. With the habitat you would think that it would lead the state in trophies but killing a good deer on one lease is not indicative of the area in general. Management is the key but the truth is that a majority in this area are more worried about pulling the trigger than quality.

;D

[quote name="tvc184" post="1057094" timestamp="1316040901"]
[quote author=LumRaiderFan link=topic=61122.msg1057087#msg1057087 date=1316040597]
rip, don't get him started!  ;D

I'll just add that big bucks in Texas are nothing new...folks been killing them here long before the 13" rule!

OK, I'm done!
[/quote]

Too late.

Yes, I have seen some huge bucks killed in east Texas every year. With the habitat you would think that it would lead the state in trophies but killing a good deer on one lease is not indicative of the area in general. [b]Management is the key but the truth is that a majority in this area are more worried about pulling the trigger than quality.[/b]

;D
[/quote]

Can't argue with that!

[quote name="tvc184" post="1057057" timestamp="1316038043"]
It works, period. It is not perfect and a good management plan would be better but most of these leases could have gotten a management plan years ago but would rather go by the east Texas, if it's brown, it's down rule.

Soon people in east Texas will start taking some nice (not necessarily trophy) deer with some trophies scattered in with them. It beats taking spikes and basket 4 or 6 pointers.
[/quote]

Right On TVC!  The problem with our lease is we had guys who would follow the management philosophy and another half that would follow the brown it's down.. it needed to be mandated for our group.. some of the the brown it's down guys have been on the lease 25 plus years and it might have taken 10 or 15 more for them to die off not going to get voted off.  I was one of those shoot on sight guys not to long ago myself... I am also one that ask questions..like... Why can we not shoot better deer more often?

[quote name="bullets13" post="1062200" timestamp="1316642311"]
i want to go hunting with rip!  i use a 25-06, if that helps...  ;D
[/quote]

I am going to give them a heavy dose of Mathews In October... before and during every cold front I will be in my climber. And if that fails I will not hesitate to break out the .25-06 or my 30-30 if I am still in the climber!  My mission is to kill that 8pt before someone else does.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="tvc184" post="1057057" timestamp="1316038043"]

[/quote]
I agree , I don't hunt East Texas but some attempt had to be made to improve it and it will. I hunt in Maverick County and in Sutton County and the mentality is different in both places. But I have been seeing a change in the ideas in East Texas which is encouraging.

[quote name="pngfan1" post="1071313" timestamp="1317505412"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=61122.msg1057057#msg1057057 date=1316038043]

[/quote]
I agree , I don't hunt East Texas but some attempt had to be made to improve it and it will. I hunt in Maverick County and in Sutton County and the mentality is different in both places. But I have been seeing a change in the ideas in East Texas which is encouraging.
[/quote]

I've hunted Maverick. Some real hosses down there.

The crazy thing is now we have folks saying that growing better (trophy.. a relative term) deer is hurting the sport... I do not buy it...Now there are some obscene deer being grown on some high fence operations in South Texas.. but if you want to spend the money to shoot a 200 or some day a 300 inch deer. that is your prerogative. 120-130 is a trophy for me. And I am glad we will be seeing more of them with the restrictions.

[quote name="rip2506" post="1072142" timestamp="1317590070"]
The crazy thing is now we have folks saying the grow better (trophy.. a relative term) deer is hurting the sport... I do not buy it...Now there are some obscene deer being grown on some high fence operations in South Texas.. but if you want to spend the money to shoot a 200 or some day a 300 inch deer. that is your prerogative. 120-130 is a trophy for me. And I am glad we will be seeing more of them with the restrictions.
[/quote]

I have heard people claim that bigger deer makes for higher lease prices but that seems a ridiculous argument. Let's shoot small and immature deer so we can keep prices down.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hulmeyolmu
    Newest Member
    hulmeyolmu