DEER IN SOUTHEAST TEXAS 13 INCH OR GREATER SPREAD

[quote name="ST413" post="901463" timestamp="1289219049"]
Yeah where I am mostly concerned is private land circled by more private land and one lease. A lot of messed up horns there. I have a pic of one I killed a few yrs ago that I would post if I knew how.
[/quote]

I was on a lease like that a few years ago.  Talk about a ton of "junk" deer.  It needed some major management.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the pics from my deer cams on my other lease show some good deer but I can't tell the width.  One 8 pt has a ton of mass. A couple should be shooters.  Saw one this evening that may need to be culled but it was at 5:47.  It may have been wide enough to shoot but was too late to tell if it had forks on both sides.  One side did never could tell on other.  Pic on cam was inconclusive was at least a 3 pt maybe 4.  Need to see it in better light may be a good young deer.

Been out the last two evenings with the same result. I have seen 1 deer each evening first was the one I described in my last post.  Upon looking at the pics from our cams more, I think this is a fairly young 3 pt that has about probably a 12 inch spread.  this evening was a different buck.  Came out at 5:45 could see horns inside ears but couldn't tell anything about the number of points.  Just waiting for them to come out a little earlier.

Well the late evening luck continues,  saw several deer evening including the 3 pt that I may need to cull.  The continuing part is I had another buck, this time at my wifes stand which is close to mine,  come out at about 10 minutes to 6.  It had horns that appeared to be wide enough to shoot but was too dark to tell anything else but the body of the deer was massive.  I had been watching the 3 pt, a spike and a doe at about 30 yards and this one made them look small and he was about 75-100 yards away.  Also saw a good buck chasing another deer through the brush.  I am going to try to put this link to some of my pics here,  including the 3 pt that I am still questioning and some others we are seeing.  These are hear in SE  Texas.

http://deerlease1.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

[quote name="ST413" post="903821" timestamp="1289442381"]
Well the late evening luck continues,  saw several deer evening including the 3 pt that I may need to cull.  The continuing part is I had another buck, this time at my wifes stand which is close to mine,  come out at about 10 minutes to 6.  It had horns that appeared to be wide enough to shoot but was too dark to tell anything else but the body of the deer was massive.  I had been watching the 3 pt, a spike and a doe at about 30 yards and this one made them look small and he was about 75-100 yards away.  Also saw a good buck chasing another deer through the brush.  I am going to try to put this link to some of my pics here,  including the 3 pt that I am still questioning and some others we are seeing.  These are hear in SE  Texas.

http://deerlease1.shutterfly.com/pictures/8
[/quote]

I say the 3pt needs a dirt nap. ;)

[quote name="ST413" post="903852" timestamp="1289444615"]
Hopefully my wife will get him.  He is a regular.  I added a few more pics.  Some that may be shooters? If they come out in enough light to see.  I wanted to pull the trigger this evening the deer was big,  just couldn't be sure.
[/quote]

you did the right thing not pulling the trigger.  One of the bucks in the pics looks pretty good.  I noticed the thick necks, dark tarsal glands, and fighting.  Where are you hunting because in Kville where I am they aren't quite to that point.

[quote name="Lefty99" post="903882" timestamp="1289445811"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=61122.msg903852#msg903852 date=1289444615]
Hopefully my wife will get him.  He is a regular.  I added a few more pics.  Some that may be shooters? If they come out in enough light to see.  I wanted to pull the trigger this evening the deer was big,  just couldn't be sure.
[/quote]

you did the right thing not pulling the trigger.  One of the bucks in the pics looks pretty good.  I noticed the thick necks, dark tarsal glands, and fighting.  Where are you hunting because in Kville where I am they aren't quite to that point.
[/quote]

Hardin county, which one are you referring to? I like the first good one and the one in the last few pics.

[quote name="rip2506" post="904538" timestamp="1289515739"]
One in there( the pic with the button) needs to age one more year if you can keep him alive. my2cents..
[/quote]

Ok yeah wasn't pic I was looking at but yes thatbone does look  little young.  Missing a couple tines.

I am a fan of the 13 inch rule as well. Just after 1 yr I am noticing a difference. I haven't had the chance to shoot a buck that is over 13 inches yet but has anyone shot a deer with the horns outside the ears but it hasn't measured 13 inches? I just cant believe that every deer has the same measurement in the width of the ears. I think that this could be a problem as well?  I really worry that this could possibly happen to me one day and then there will be nothing I can do about it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin