Wos/OU commit Franks suspended/school board votes, Franks remains suspended

T-daddy

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I won't discuss the details of anything, suffice it to say that I know the Franks family, and I strongly beleive that Trey's trangression is not of the physical kind, but of the silly "teen doing things teens do" kind, albeit with a new technological twist.  If you applied the same standard to everyone that was applied to Trey and anyone else involved in this, you would have very few band members, few members of athletic groups, and probably even a few teachers would hit the road.  Everyone involved is in trouble because of serious overreaction by many parties involved.  Hopefully, Trey will not lose his commit to OU.  If he does, I am sure that Mike Price over at UTEP would take him in a heartbeat, as he has previous experience dealing with runaway "holier than thous". 

Though I won't discuss the details of anything, suffice it to say that I know the Franks family, and I strongly beleive that Trey's trangression is not of the physical kind, but of the silly "teen doing things teens do" kind, albeit with a new technological twist.  If you applied the same standard to everyone that was applied to Trey and anyone else involved in this, you would have very few band members, few members of athletic groups, and probably even a few teachers would hit the road.  Everyone involved is in trouble because of serious overreaction by many parties involved.  Hopefully, Trey will not lose his commit to OU.  If he does, I am sure that Mike Price over at UTEP would take him in a heartbeat, as he has previous experience dealing with runaway "holier than thous". 

By not releasing the details of "teens doing what teens do", those of us with no knowledge of the situation tend to get ideas that may not be true. All we see is that he is suspended from school and there is a special board meeting called tonight to discuss the action.  Sounds pretty serious to me.  If it was a minor infraction, I would think, that the coach would handle it with a few extra sprints and then it's over.  But special board meetings and hush, hush, antics scream of something more serious.  Not trying to stir the pot, just letting you know what it is like on the outside looking in.

Though I won't discuss the details of anything, suffice it to say that I know the Franks family, and I strongly beleive that Trey's trangression is not of the physical kind, but of the silly "teen doing things teens do" kind, albeit with a new technological twist.  If you applied the same standard to everyone that was applied to Trey and anyone else involved in this, you would have very few band members, few members of athletic groups, and probably even a few teachers would hit the road.  Everyone involved is in trouble because of serious overreaction by many parties involved.   Hopefully, Trey will not lose his commit to OU.  If he does, I am sure that Mike Price over at UTEP would take him in a heartbeat, as he has previous experience dealing with runaway "holier than thous".   

By not releasing the details of "teens doing what teens do", those of us with no knowledge of the situation tend to get ideas that may not be true. All we see is that he is suspended from school and there is a special board meeting called tonight to discuss the action.  Sounds pretty serious to me.  If it was a minor infraction, I would think, that the coach would handle it with a few extra sprints and then it's over.  But special board meetings and hush, hush, antics scream of something more serious.  Not trying to stir the pot, just letting you know what it is like on the outside looking in.

No doubt, reb.  But this is one of those cases where the other person involved got the hammer dropped on 'em, so I think Coach Hooks was forced to do the same to Trey.  What the kids did was stupid, but not criminal, and not something that would harm or endanger the public or property. 

Though I won't discuss the details of anything, suffice it to say that I know the Franks family, and I strongly beleive that Trey's trangression is not of the physical kind, but of the silly "teen doing things teens do" kind, albeit with a new technological twist.  If you applied the same standard to everyone that was applied to Trey and anyone else involved in this, you would have very few band members, few members of athletic groups, and probably even a few teachers would hit the road.  Everyone involved is in trouble because of serious overreaction by many parties involved.   Hopefully, Trey will not lose his commit to OU.  If he does, I am sure that Mike Price over at UTEP would take him in a heartbeat, as he has previous experience dealing with runaway "holier than thous".   

No doubt, reb.  But this is one of those cases where the other person involved got the hammer dropped on 'em, so I think Coach Hooks was forced to do the same to Trey.  What the kids did was stupid, but not criminal, and not something that would harm or endanger the public or property. 

I understand that the admins are trying to do the right thing here, but, if it is some minor infraction(inappropriate photos, etc) it just seems that it would benefit the kid, the school and the family, to get it out in the open where it could then fade away.  It's the secrecy that keeps this story alive.  If it's just some "kids being kids" and everyone knew that, this story would be old news by now.  JMO

this is a fine example of the difference that technology makes. we all did some stupid stuff, but there usually wasnt a camera around to immortalize our less than spectacular moments. as the saying goes - a picture is worth a thousand words.

i just hope that some people pull their heads out of their nether regions and not make this worse than it really is. there is a risk of ruining some peoples lives here in a real much ado about nothing.

I understand that the admins are trying to do the right thing here, but, if it is some minor infraction(inappropriate photos, etc) it just seems that it would benefit the kid, the school and the family, to get it out in the open where it could then fade away.  It's the secrecy that keeps this story alive.  If it's just some "kids being kids" and everyone knew that, this story would be old news by now.  JMO

Agreed...Knowing Trey and his family, I think it's also a case of not involving the other party, though I think that the other parties' benefactors are the ones that wanted an "equal justice" to take place.  So does that equal justice now mean that the person's name will be put into the paper just like Trey's was?  I think it would be fair, if this truly was an issue of fairness.  However, I think that it must remain in the school board's hands, and I hope that the board rights the over-reaction that has taken place by re-instating both parties, and also letting the public know what happened, so it, as you say, can fade away.

We agree totally, if we knew what happened last week it would be old news by now...Quess those of us that dont know will have to wait for the enterprise to run a story..

I know the entire story but point blank this is a kid and Dave and I have decided not to touch the story even though calls have been made and details collected. As a former athlete myself I think athletes are wrongly treated differently than other students that might be suspended for the same type of things. Seriously stories could be ran everyday on kids making mistakes but what is the point. Just my opinion.

I know the entire story but point blank this is a kid and Dave and I have decided not to touch the story even though calls have been made and details collected. As a former athlete myself I think athletes are wrongly treated differently than other students that might be suspended for the same type of things. Seriously stories could be ran everyday on kids making mistakes but what is the point. Just my opinion.

speveto, most of us are defending Trey...so read before you post...

Shly, I agree...there are a lot of things that students do as a part of "growing up"...and athletes are not immune to those things...in this case, what, in the past might have been handled by a coach with extra "work time" and by a sponsor with extra "work" time as well, becomes a school board issue.  There are so many things that people have done as a part of "growing up" and have gotten caught doing, and faced consequences that were of a temporary nature.  Now, it turns into a citywide issue...but as T-Daddy says...if the story gets out, people will go..."they got suspended for THAT?"...That particular activity has become a national issue because our nation is full of "part time prudes"...but I think that if it happened on campus, okay.  If it was something that happened off campus and was not a public danger or a destruction of property, then where does the school bard, or even the school have a say in it?

pretty good opinion....if ya ask me. 

The problem with this situation is that it happened over the summer and/or a couple of years ago, from what I have heard.  It puzzles me as to why the school is even involved.  Furthermore, if it warranted suspension, why were they not suspending from school?  The entire situation, once again, was handled improperly.  It shouldn't even be coming down to the school board's decision.  I am in hopes that the school board will see this and handle it properly from here on out.

Shly, I agree...there are a lot of things that students do as a part of "growing up"...and athletes are not immune to those things...in this case, what, in the past might have been handled by a coach with extra "work time" and by a sponsor with extra "work" time as well, becomes a school board issue.  There are so many things that people have done as a part of "growing up" and have gotten caught doing, and faced consequences that were of a temporary nature.  Now, it turns into a citywide issue...but as T-Daddy says...if the story gets out, people will go..."they got suspended for THAT?"...That particular activity has become a national issue because our nation is full of "part time prudes"...but I think that if it happened on campus, okay.  If it was something that happened off campus and was not a public danger or a destruction of property, then where does the school bard, or even the school have a say in it?

elhector, it sounds like we basically agree.  we just have a different way of expressing ourselves. I did say that "I dont  fit in".  I WAS ONLY SPEAKING TO CERTAIN PEOPLE, NOT YOU.

elhector, it sounds like we basically agree.  we just have a different way of expressing ourselves. I did say that "I dont  fit in".  I WAS ONLY SPEAKING TO CERTAIN PEOPLE, NOT YOU.

coolness...sorry...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder