Wos/OU commit Franks suspended/school board votes, Franks remains suspended

T-daddy

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is Keith Kyle, I am a member of another school board in Orange county. Since this young man's name came up, I'd like to say that I've known the Franks family for a long time. I've known Trey since he was just a little boy and there are no better people on the face of the earth. I'm sure whatever the reason for this suspension, it won't be criminal....more likely to be a teenage screwup.

Nothing more, just pray for the Franks family.

This is a complete shame.  The school board knew that the vote was going to be split, so they should have just called the meeting off.  That was just a waste of people's time.  This is going to effect Track as well, not just football.  He could graduate early and enroll at OU in the Spring.  Going to school and not being able to participate in extracurricular activities isn't very fun.  I don't believe that this applies in his situation, but taking away extracurricular activities is how kids get in trouble.  If they don't have anything better to do, why not make bad decisions.  Decisions that would actually warrant a suspension.

Does this shock you? Things are going to be fine, trust me.  ;)

After the past few years, nothing shocks me anymore.  Speaking of a conflict of intrest, isn't being on the school board when your son is a principal a conflict of intrest?  By not voting, you are supporting the principal (her son) and this makes it look like the school board did suspend him.  I know that the school board gets a bad wrap.  This is a position that they don't get paid for, but take alot of heat about their positions.  Hiding behind the privilege of not voting is chicken poop.  

I disagree.  I believe that it depends on the charges.  Just like a 13 year-old can be charged as an adult in the case of murder.  There are no "charges". 

14, not 13. 15 for most other felonies.

Well, funny that when I worked at TYC...we had of 13 and 14 year olds who were charged as adults from murder to rape.  But, even at 15...

What is even funnier is that state law says that they have to be 14. They cannot be charged as adults at 13, sorry.

I have a couple of problems here....

1.  A few posters, in discussing the ages of the people involved, start bringing up what is considered an adult, or the age of majority.  In doing so, to bolster their argument, they use phrases and examples that refer to crimes and felonies.   In this situation, where rumor is rampant because the full details are nor known, such speculation can lead to additional rumor and confusion that the actions were criminal.  They were not.  Speculation about age should be about what the school regards as an adult. NO CRIME WAS COMMITTED, NO FELONY WAS COMMITTED, NO MISDEMEANOR WAS COMMITTED.

2.  As to releasing the name of one individual, why was this?  Was it because he is a good player, which shows the dual edge of this forum?   We wouldn't discuss him if he wasn't good, so his name was released because he is good?   Also, if the school rules consider him a student, isn't that considering him a minor, especially at age 17?  If this is the case, didn't whoever release his name also violate the cherished "code of conduct" that WOS-C has in place?  And if they did violate the code of conduct, should they be suspended from work WITHOUT pay?  

You are correct about this happening because he is a good player. Is that shocking or unexpected?

There are hundreds of arrest a week in the Golden Triangle area and lots of them felonies. I don't see a lot of them being discussed. Let one of the people be the mayor of a city or a school board president and watch the words start flying. When you are someone in a community whether it is because you play football or you are a school teacher or you are a local official, then it becomes news that people will discuss. That is the nature of the beast and always will be.

As far as someone being considered a minor, there are all kinds of definitions of what is a minor or juvenile, according to which Texas code you are talking about. You are criminally an adult at 17 and no longer have the protection of being a juvenile in either charges being filed or your name being released. You have to be 18 to vote or buy cigarettes. Curfew violations take effect when you are younger than 17. You can't buy a pistol or alcohol until 21, yet you can buy a rifle or shotgun at 18. You can be issued a traffic citation at 14 years old.

Age depends on which particular law you are talking about and you can be both a minor and an adult at the same time, according to which code applies to your situation. Such as the Alcohol Beverage Code, the Education Code, the Family Code, the Government Code, the Transportation Code, the Penal Code, etc. Being a student has no effect on the age of any code except the Education Code that deals with school rules. Being a high school student offers no exemption or relief from the other codes as far as age.

This is a complete shame.  The school board knew that the vote was going to be split, so they should have just called the meeting off.  That was just a waste of people's time.  This is going to effect Track as well, not just football.  He could graduate early and enroll at OU in the Spring.  Going to school and not being able to participate in extracurricular activities isn't very fun.  I don't believe that this applies in his situation, but taking away extracurricular activities is how kids get in trouble.  If they don't have anything better to do, why not make bad decisions.  Decisions that would actually warrant a suspension.

Does this shock you? Things are going to be fine, trust me.  ;)

After the past few years, nothing shocks me anymore.  Speaking of a conflict of intrest, isn't being on the school board when your son is a principal a conflict of intrest?  By not voting, you are supporting the principal (her son) and this makes it look like the school board did suspend him.  I know that the school board gets a bad wrap.  This is a position that they don't get paid for, but take alot of heat about their positions.  Hiding behind the privilege of not voting is chicken poop.  

regardless of this situation, it seems stupid that someone would run for the school board when their direct family member was the principal at the high school. did she think that there would never be a situation where she would have to vote on something concerning the high school? if you're going to abstain from a vote due to a conflict of interest, why the heck would you run for the position? this sounds idiotic that a person couldn't see that there was a chance this type of situation might come up....or any different situation concerning the high school.

This is the hidden content, please

A poll set up to see if you think the suspension is fair...The article hints to what Franks may have done (I still have/had no ideal)...With the boards 3-3 split they still anounced he is suspended for the remainder of the season? (according to other article) seems strange they would do so....My last thought is if lawyers get involved by the time anything is resolved the football season will be over and this kid just lost out on his senior year in football and as we all know you can never get that back....

I have a couple of problems here....

1.  A few posters, in discussing the ages of the people involved, start bringing up what is considered an adult, or the age of majority.  In doing so, to bolster their argument, they use phrases and examples that refer to crimes and felonies.   In this situation, where rumor is rampant because the full details are nor known, such speculation can lead to additional rumor and confusion that the actions were criminal.  They were not.  Speculation about age should be about what the school regards as an adult. NO CRIME WAS COMMITTED, NO FELONY WAS COMMITTED, NO MISDEMEANOR WAS COMMITTED.

2.  As to releasing the name of one individual, why was this?  Was it because he is a good player, which shows the dual edge of this forum?   We wouldn't discuss him if he wasn't good, so his name was released because he is good?   Also, if the school rules consider him a student, isn't that considering him a minor, especially at age 17?  If this is the case, didn't whoever release his name also violate the cherished "code of conduct" that WOS-C has in place?  And if they did violate the code of conduct, should they be suspended from work WITHOUT pay?  

You are correct about this happening because he is a good player. Is that shocking or unexpected?

There are hundreds of arrest a week in the Golden Triangle area and lots of them felonies. I don't see a lot of them being discussed. Let one of the people be the mayor of a city or a school board president and watch the words start flying. When you are someone in a community whether it is because you play football or you are a school teacher or you are a local official, then it becomes news that people will discuss. That is the nature of the beast and always will be.

As far as someone being considered a minor, there are all kinds of definitions of what is a minor or juvenile, according to which Texas code you are talking about. You are criminally an adult at 17 and no longer have the protection of being a juvenile in either charges being filed or your name being released. You have to be 18 to vote or buy cigarettes. Curfew violations take effect when you are younger than 17. You can't buy a pistol or alcohol until 21, yet you can buy a rifle or shotgun at 18. You can be issued a traffic citation at 14 years old.

Age depends on which particular law you are talking about and you can be both a minor and an adult at the same time, according to which code applies to your situation. Such as the Alcohol Beverage Code, the Education Code, the Family Code, the Government Code, the Transportation Code, the Penal Code, etc. Being a student has no effect on the age of any code except the Education Code that deals with school rules. Being a high school student offers no exemption or relief from the other codes as far as age.

Your points would be valid had a crime, whether misdemeanor or felony, actually happened.  That isn't the case, as even the news outlet that released the name said it was a violation of the code of conduct.  My point is that your discussion of what constitutess legal adult age by citing what is a legal adult with regard to crimes can be misconstrued and add to the rumor fire by confusing people into thinking that a crime was committed as a part of the code of conduct violation.   No crimes were committed., and all your examples by using crimes as definitions of adulthood is misleading.  In this case, for the purpose of defining an adult, what is the school board or disrict policy for defining an adult?  From my understanding, as long as the person is a student, names can only be relaesed with regard to scholastic or athletic participation, like UIL competitions.  A name can't be released if it has to do with disciplinary measures..  WOS-C released his name in violation of this.

This is the hidden content, please

A poll set up to see if you think the suspension is fair...The article hints to what Franks may have done (I still have/had no ideal)...With the boards 3-3 split they still anounced he is suspended for the remainder of the season? (according to other article) seems strange they would do so....My last thought is if lawyers get involved by the time anything is resolved the football season will be over and this kid just lost out on his senior year in football and as we all know you can never get that back....

Not if an injunction is filed! ;)

Your points would be valid had a crime, whether misdemeanor or felony, actually happened.  That isn't the case, as even the news outlet that released the name said it was a violation of the code of conduct.  My point is that your discussion of what constitutess legal adult age by citing what is a legal adult with regard to crimes can be misconstrued and add to the rumor fire by confusing people into thinking that a crime was committed as a part of the code of conduct violation.   No crimes were committed., and all your examples by using crimes as definitions of adulthood is misleading.  In this case, for the purpose of defining an adult, what is the school board or disrict policy for defining an adult?  From my understanding, as long as the person is a student, names can only be relaesed with regard to scholastic or athletic participation, like UIL competitions.  A name can't be released if it has to do with disciplinary measures..  WOS-C released his name in violation of this.

I have no clue if any crimes have been committed or if any has even been suggested. In fact, I haven't responded to this particular situation at all except on points of the law. My response only dealt with how age laws are different according to what you are talking about. An example is your suggestion that since he is a student, doesn't it mean that he is a minor. The answer to that is yes or no, according to which law you are discussing. The school board can't define an adult as they see fit. They are governed by the Texas Education Code.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder