Magazine picks Vidor football to win first district title since 1978

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the contrary, I hope they do make the playoffs.  But if history is a teacher, well, then, you see my reluctance to see how they can make the top 4.  But I wish them well.

smitty i'm srry that u don't feel that vidor will make playoffs but u will be upset this year when they do.they beat lumberton and should have beat central with a missed 20 yard feild goal and a blocked extra point to tie the game.

and the difference between this team and the 2005 team is it actually means something to them and they have their hearts in the game. yes mathuews was the coach then but the kids now have baught into what he is saying to them and with a group of kids than has been pretty dominat together all through school wich what i mean by that is jr high and freshman year they will be good this year cause they have it in their minds that they can make playoffs and go deep. u can say that jr high and freshman ball is different from varsity ball but when u get a group that has played togeher that long and believe in each other and care about their team mates they will go far.

yea they didn't do as good as they should have last seasoin when they lost to ozen wich shouldn't have happend they had 6 turnovers and still only lost by 1 td. they were mostly jr's but coach mat. has done some work with these boys and they have their mind set to make their coach proud and prove all the ppl hatting on them wrong.

ok well look at it this way.in the 2007 season we were in pretty much last in 2008 we made a big jump to 5th when everyone thought we were still goin to be down lower. yea i know we accomplished nothing last year with a week district but we were also mostly Jr's that does make a difference. these guys have grown and won't make the little mistakes that keep them out of playoffs last year. we have the size, experience, attitude, heart, and  believe it or not a little bit of speed not a lot but a little. all that's left is if they can pull it together on the Field. and i for one have faith in them just like some others on this sight.nederland central lumberton and png and yes i am saying vidor they all will be fighting it out for a playoff spot.anything can happen if the boys put their minds to it and really want it bad enough.so yea that's my prediction. no certain order.

Central

Nederland

Lumberton

PNG/vidor

OK, let's put your thinking cap on.  You said this team has size, experience, attitude, and heart.  The 2005 team had 20 returning starters, the same coach and I bet if you ask one of them they would say they had everything this year's team has. 

So the big question:  Intrinsically speaking, what is it that will make them vie for one of the top 4 spots.  And remember, don't tell us what you've already said.  Because, again, the 2005 squad thought they had the same thing.

PS - Your playoff list doesn't look that bad.

ok well look at it this way.in the 2007 season we were in pretty much last in 2008 we made a big jump to 5th when everyone thought we were still goin to be down lower. yea i know we accomplished nothing last year with a week district but we were also mostly Jr's that does make a difference. these guys have grown and won't make the little mistakes that keep them out of playoffs last year. we have the size, experience, attitude, heart, and  believe it or not a little bit of speed not a lot but a little. all that's left is if they can pull it together on the Field. and i for one have faith in them just like some others on this sight.nederland central lumberton and png and yes i am saying vidor they all will be fighting it out for a playoff spot.anything can happen if the boys put their minds to it and really want it bad enough.so yea that's my prediction. no certain order.

Central

Nederland

Lumberton

PNG/vidor

The 2005 squad could never play as a team.  When something bad happened...that was it, game over! They were fighting among themselves, the coaches were fighting among themselves.  The parents tried to get their two cents in and everything fell apart.  This team never gives up.  They fight to the end!  All I have to say is WATCH OUT EVERYONE...we will not be taken lightly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 2005 squad could never play as a team.  When something bad happened...that was it, game over! They were fighting among themselves, the coaches were fighting among themselves.  The parents tried to get their two cents in and everything fell apart.  This team never gives up.  They fight to the end!   All I have to say is WATCH OUT EVERYONE...we will not be taken lightly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i couldn't have said it better myself.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Never say never!

This year there are no front runners! Could be the year a team like Vidor picks up a Title.

Most seasons 20-4A has a dominant team or two in the district from the word go. This year there isn't one. I think the district will be better from 1-8, but the top will not be as good as in the past, thus Vidor could be top dog, er top Pirate!

OK, let's put your thinking cap on.  You said this team has size, experience, attitude, and heart.  The 2005 team had 20 returning starters, the same coach and I bet if you ask one of them they would say they had everything this year's team has. 

So the big question:  Intrinsically speaking, what is it that will make them vie for one of the top 4 spots.  And remember, don't tell us what you've already said.  Because, again, the 2005 squad thought they had the same thing.

PS - Your playoff list doesn't look that bad.

Central

Nederland

Lumberton

PNG/vidor

"Intrinsically speaking" Thats a good one. LOL

smitty i'm srry that u don't feel that vidor will make playoffs but u will be upset this year when they do.they beat lumberton and should have beat central with a missed 20 yard feild goal and a blocked extra point to tie the game.

and the difference between this team and the 2005 team is it actually means something to them and they have their hearts in the game. yes mathuews was the coach then but the kids now have baught into what he is saying to them and with a group of kids than has been pretty dominat together all through school wich what i mean by that is jr high and freshman year they will be good this year cause they have it in their minds that they can make playoffs and go deep. u can say that jr high and freshman ball is different from varsity ball but when u get a group that has played togeher that long and believe in each other and care about their team mates they will go far.

yea they didn't do as good as they should have last seasoin when they lost to ozen wich shouldn't have happend they had 6 turnovers and still only lost by 1 td. they were mostly jr's but coach mat. has done some work with these boys and they have their mind set to make their coach proud and prove all the ppl hatting on them wrong.

Look, it's not about hating on them.  Usually hated teams are teams that have a traditon of winning.  Vidor has nothing to hate on in my eyes right now.  It's all about reality.  Your team could not make the playoffs last year in a somewhat weakened district with 4 playoff spots.  You guys are saying you are proud of your effort last year.  That may well be, but that pride will not get you into the playoffs.  You have a lot of returning starters from a team that, when  you think about it, accomplished nothing.  What should lead us to believe that you will make the playoffs this year.  I for one, having seen PNG's changes, know that the district is going to be tougher this year.  Yes, you may be tougher, bringing back so many, but IMO, with the rise of the district, you will still be the odd man out.  Sorry.  Again, no hate intended, just reality.

I've read your synopsis on why you do not think Vidor will make the playoffs and I gotta say that it seems to me that your picking PNG to come in 2nd and Vidor to be out is not really founded on "reality" as you say at all. PNG has a new coach, a new offense and less returning than Vidor does. Although I know the PNG fans are excited about all of the changes (which I think were needed), a turn around does not typically happen in a year. I think, from a unbiased standpoint, vidor is more likely to make the playoffs than PNG and I think they will.

This is not hating on PNG either, just a logical assessment. I hope PNG turns it around and I hope they both make the playoffs this year. I have much respect for that program, but if one is the "odd man out" I think it's PNG this year.

Guest etbu

The 2005 squad could never play as a team.  When something bad happened...that was it, game over! They were fighting among themselves, the coaches were fighting among themselves.  The parents tried to get their two cents in and everything fell apart.  This team never gives up.  They fight to the end!   All I have to say is WATCH OUT EVERYONE...we will not be taken lightly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on with it Bone bc rooting for Vidor and Lumberton for the top two sports.  ;D

Look, it's not about hating on them.  Usually hated teams are teams that have a traditon of winning.  Vidor has nothing to hate on in my eyes right now.  It's all about reality.  Your team could not make the playoffs last year in a somewhat weakened district with 4 playoff spots.  You guys are saying you are proud of your effort last year.  That may well be, but that pride will not get you into the playoffs.  You have a lot of returning starters from a team that, when  you think about it, accomplished nothing.  What should lead us to believe that you will make the playoffs this year.  I for one, having seen PNG's changes, know that the district is going to be tougher this year.  Yes, you may be tougher, bringing back so many, but IMO, with the rise of the district, you will still be the odd man out.  Sorry.  Again, no hate intended, just reality.

Geez, Laying, have you read the blogs during the season the last 2 years or is L-Town an exception to the rule? We've caught hell for winning and yet most people don't figure we had a "tradition of winning". Also, this "weakened district" attitude, is that because PNG lost out last year or would you happen to have an alternate ego by the name of FriendswoodFan? You sound just like him. I don't see the other teams fans saying we had a weakened district so I was just wondering.  ;)

Well, the bottom line is, they MAY have a good coach.  We do not know that yet.  They have a new system, but it's only new to them.  WB, Nederland, Bridge City, Memorial, and just about every other team in Texas runs it.  It's all based on hope and expectations.  IMHO.

What does everyone see from PNG that I don't?

What does everyone see from PNG that I don't?

In all honesty Buc, there are a lot of unknowns as far as PNG. I believe it will come down to our QB and defense. What I do believe is we will have two of the top four or five recievers in the district. So far our qb has looked pretty good but next fall it will come down to his play.Right now all we have to go with is what we have seen in spring workouts and 7 on 7.We have never had any success with 7 on 7 in the past, even two years ago when we won district. So, it is encouraging to see some success from the skilled position play. We will be implementing new systems on both sides of the ball so a lot will hinge on how fast we can learn the system.

For the record, this PNG fan can't see Vidor not in the playoffs this fall.

I can't not see Vidor not making the playoffs this year also. They have a lot of experience coming back and a lot of time playing as a team. They should make it but I don't know how high up they will be. It's all up to them. If they get the big head then who knows what will happen. As for the Indians, I have always liked them. With a new coach and system one would think it will take a couple of years at least to come together. This coach seems to have a great approach and knows how to motivate his team. I went to see the purple and white scrimmage. At times they looked pretty good especially for a team just introduced to the new system they have. However, at times they looked like they needed more practice. The QB's both looked good when they had time to throw but sometimes it looked like the line could not block anyone and the quarterbacks had to throw on the run or be tackled. The running game was very impressive to me. They did some plays in their spring game that it looked like Bridge City could not do until their second season. If they work hard this summer then they may be good enough to be in the playoffs.

Geez, Laying, have you read the blogs during the season the last 2 years or is L-Town an exception to the rule? We've caught heck for winning and yet most people don't figure we had a "tradition of winning". Also, this "weakened district" attitude, is that because PNG lost out last year or would you happen to have an alternate ego by the name of FriendswoodFan? You sound just like him. I don't see the other teams fans saying we had a weakened district so I was just wondering.  ;)

Sorry for the late response, been out a while.  Look, I may be a little biased, so I can see where my comments may frustrate some.  But, in the end, I have seen PNG play....they will be good....district championship good.  Whether they win it or not remains to be seen.  I havent seen anyone (ie Vidor) play yet, so they could prove me wrong.  But, they will have to step their game up a lot.....which they do not have a history of.  If you ask me, we had a better team than Vidor or Lumberton last year, but could not live up to expectations....coaching etc. 

And yes, when the 2nd to last place team (PNG), makes the co district champions.....and the Vidor team that "did so well", struggle....IMO, you have a weak district.  In a good district, the champions eat the bottom tier teams for dinner that night.  That did not happen in 20-4a.  And no, I dont believe it was because it was a strong district.

I must be confused, I thought Lumberton beat PNG last year???  I didn't realize PNG was the better team, sorry.

I think he was saying Lumberton struggled to beat a very weak PNG team that finished second to last. Lumberton ended up co district champions. I believe he was using that to say the district was weak. Central and Nederland both made good playoff appearances though. I believe Lumberton is heading in the right direction and growing faster than any other school in the district.But, they haven't built the program yet that Nederland has. We haven't either, but hopefully our changes will end up positive as well. But with that being said IMHO Nederland has by far the best program in the district right now.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn