Big weekend for WO-S athletes

From ORANGEBLOODS.COM

What a weekend for members of the West Orange-Stark track and football teams.

On Friday and Saturday, the Mustangs captured the Class 3A team track state championship, thanks in part to an individual title in the 100M by Trey Franks as well as a first-place finish in the 4X100 by a team that featured Franks and James Haynes (along with Josh Gloston and Phillip Jones).

James Haynes was one of four WO-S teammates that camped at Texas.

On Sunday, Franks and Haynes (along with 2011 prospect Mark Roberts and 2012 prospect Justin Thomas) all made their way to the Texas football practice fields, where the foursome participated in the Longhorns' first mini-camp.

Franks and Haynes both worked at defensive back during the event, and Franks came away feeling like he performed well, despite battling fatigue.

"It went really well. Coming from track meet yesterday, I was really tired. But I just got there and tried to perform," said Franks, who won the 100M title with a blistering 10.36. "I think I did okay. I think I ran a good 40 time. I had tired legs but for the most part I think I did really well."

The 6-foot, 181-pound Haynes also showcased his talents.

"I think I did pretty well. I feel like I had a fast 40 but we didn't get the times," said Haynes. "I felt like I performed pretty well on defensive side of the ball."

While the camp visit was an obvious hot topic among Longhorn fans, the memories from the state championship will stay with the Mustang student athletes for a lifetime.

"It's crazy. To win a state champ, that's all you wish for. Your whole career, want to win a state champ, so to have one feels really good," said Haynes.

Though there was no talk of scholarship offers, both players were told by the Texas coaches to stay focused and to stay in touch as they work through the recruiting process.

With track season now in the rear-view mirror, the entire West Orange-Stark team will turn its focus towards working towards what should be a very successful 2009 football season.

"We are excited we could win a state championship in track but we all want to win one in football," said WO-S track coach and assistant football coach Toby Foreman. "They're not track guys that play football. These are football guys that also run track. That's the key. Until then, we're not going to be satisfied."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    lufunom123
    Newest Member
    lufunom123