Chavis leaving TAMU to play football @ LU

Ray Woodard Announces Texas A&M Transfer Billy Chavis To Play Football At Lamar

Beaumont native earned two varsity letters for the Aggies

BEAUMONT, Texas – Lamar head football coach Ray Woodard has announced that former Beaumont West Brook standout Billy Chavis has transferred to Lamar and will be a member of the school’s football program beginning this fall.

Chavis has spent the last two seasons at Texas A&M where he appeared in 11 games under coaches Dennis Franchione and Mike Sherman. He saw playing time on the defensive side of the ball, logging action at defensive end, linebacker and safety for the Aggies.

He collected four tackles as a true freshman in 2007, including three solos and forced a fumble at Miami and one assisted stop against Penn State in the Alamo Bowl. As a sophomore he made three tackles while seeing time against Kansas, Oklahoma and Baylor.

“We are getting a good player but a player who wants to come home,†Woodard said. “That’s why we brought football back – to get young men from this area who want to play football.â€

Chavis was a Class 5A honorable mention all-state selection as a senior in 2006 after recording 98 tackles and five sacks at linebacker for the Bruins. He was also a three-time all-district honoree while playing quarterback, running back and wide receiver. He was a two-time member of the Port Arthur News' Super Team and the Beaumont Enterprise's Super Gold Team

Chavis also commented on the excitement of playing for the only Division I football program in Southeast Texas.

“It’s great to have a program in Beaumont,†said Chavis, who is listed at 6-foot-5, 250 pounds. “Had they had a program four or five years ago I am sure that myself and quite a few others (in the area) would have considered playing at Lamar to stay closer to home.

“And you can already see from the first prep signing class how coach Woodard and his staff have secured some of the best talent this region has to offer.â€

just the beginning.dont be suprised if we get several more.

Welcome to the wonderful world of FCS football - where picking up FBS transfers is commonplace! Perhaps you guys won't dog SHSU and other schools who have added some game-changing transfers.

Though, I must admit - I am surprised LU has devoted such a nice-sized article for a kid like this. Can't even say that SHSU has gone this out of the way for a guy like Chris Brown, the DE from Texas, who is a legitimate pro prospect. I am under the presumption that it because he is a local kid and they are trying to drum up that the local boys can return home, especially when it finishes like this...

Chavis also commented on the excitement of playing for the only Division I football program in Southeast Texas.

"It's great to have a program in Beaumont," said Chavis, who is listed at 6-foot-5, 250 pounds. "Had they had a program four or five years ago I am sure that myself and quite a few others (in the area) would have considered playing at Lamar to stay closer to home.

"And you can already see from the first prep signing class how coach Woodard and his staff have secured some of the best talent this region has to offer."

Guest mffl

I hear that Jacody Coleman (Iowa Linebacker from Brook), might be joining Billy at Lamar, along with Joshua Powdrill who was a WR at the brook.

I Hear Derrick Hall (ath) And Andrea Agust (LB) Both From Central Will Finish Out their Semester from JC And be joining the Cardinals Roster..'

Both good players..We all know Derrick Hall the Speedster..But Andrea was the Outside Linebacker from the 05 Team that lost to Lamarque..Very Fast and he will pop you

Guest mffl

And lack of PT, being stars for the hometown crowd. And it's not like it is Sam Houston where no one cares.  :P The community actually gets into it.

Hey Terror....Saw you guys got some of UH's sloppy seconds (QB Blake Joseph)

Hey - I thought the University of Houston was the most popular school on this forum. And with all this love for the Cougars, you are dogging Joseph? That's a bit out of the ordinary by the standards set here... :)

SHSU has actually peeled back on the number of transfers from FBS in the last year or two. Nowadays, if it is not a QB or a major playmaker (i.e Chris Brown), we're not interested.

And hey - you guys got "A&M's sloppy seconds" if you want to be consistent and analyze your own program like you do mine. And from the looks of it, will be taking on many more "sloppy seconds" from FBS schools.  ::)

Hey Terror....Saw you guys got some of UH's sloppy seconds (QB Blake Joseph)

Hey - I thought the University of Houston was the most popular school on this forum. And with all this love for the Cougars, you are dogging Joseph? That's a bit out of the ordinary by the standards set here... :)

SHSU has actually peeled back on the number of transfers from FBS in the last year or two. Nowadays, if it is not a QB or a major playmaker (i.e Chris Brown), we're not interested.

And hey - you guys got "A&M's sloppy seconds" if you want to be consistent and analyze your own program like you do mine. And from the looks of it, will be taking on many more "sloppy seconds" from FBS schools.  ::)

Why would SHSTU not be interested in a 'sloppy second?" Aren't THE SLOPPYS considered better than a lowly D1 player ( SHSU is a low D1, RIGHT?)?

Guest mffl

I'd rather take a player who played well his freshmen year and declined under Sherman (who didn't though?), rather than someone who couldn't make it at UH (no offense).

I just want the best players we can get - I don't care where they came from.  Like I've said before - if the team goes 0 - 12 with all local players, no one will come.  If they go 12 - 0 with a roster full of players from American Samoa, the stands will be full every Saturday.

Just get the best talent you can, even if they used to be aggies.

I'd rather take a player who played well his freshmen year and declined under Sherman (who didn't though?), rather than someone who couldn't make it at UH (no offense).

Not saying that Joseph is our savior, but he did lose out to Case Keenum, who may end up being an even better QB than Kevin Kolb. Figure some of you Cougar fans - which half of you have proven yourselves to be - know some of those names.

What's funny is your smack talking Joseph, when he won't even be around anymore by the time we play you guys in 2010. If the Cards want to speak smack, they need to look at our sophomores and juniors!

And if anything - Lamar is going to be the one loading up on transfers galore from the FBS level. Got to put a band-aid on the product until you can get things really rolling with several years of recruiting classes. Really have no room to talk.

Guest mffl

And if anything - Lamar is going to be the one loading up on transfers galore from the FBS level. Got to put a band-aid on the product until you can get things really rolling with several years of recruiting classes. Really have no room to talk.

Whose poking fun at the fact that players are transferring to FCS schools?

I just want the best players we can get - I don't care where they came from.  Like I've said before - if the team goes 0 - 12 with all local players, no one will come.  If they go 12 - 0 with a roster full of players from American Samoa, the stands will be full every Saturday.

Just get the best talent you can, even if they used to be aggies.

I concur with your assessment.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    voodoopriestonline
    Newest Member
    voodoopriestonline