D-1 Basketball School Factories

Now that we have a local coach on his way to work at a major prep school in Houston, I was wondering about the game plan *our* coach plans to employ within his program for attracting inner-city youth ballers. And I'm speaking directly about the students who may be from a single-family home with mom, marginal academic success, but a gifted athlete. What will be your selling points in trying to convince a kid and mom to attend your school? Remember you have to factor in all the social behavior that comes with this process. For example, a kid having to walk to the bus stop in his neighborhood (jacket/tie) and hearing it from his homeboys in the neighborhood that afternoon. He will still face a lot of distractions fromwithin his own peers.

Guest DickVitale

First off, I am going to PRIVATE school, NOT a PREP SCHOOL...That is a major difference...Prep schools allow fifth year seniors to play and do not have any type of age requirements (i.e Humble Christian Life, Oak Hill in Virginia, Heritage Christian where Von Wafer attended)..Privates have guidelines that mirror UIL rules.  My selling points will be simple.  You as parents have an option as to how you want your son to be educated.  It is no secret as to which education will prepare kids for college better, particularly in the inner city. Its not even close. AND if there is a kid that can play he would also get MUCH more exposure going to the playoffs and winning big in TAPPS, than getting beat regularly on a bad team in a bad program. We have an Adidas contract (which is NOT AAU sponsored, by the way) which means that kids will be able to have the best gear at no cost to them.  Public schools SOMETIMES get those deals, but you must have an NBA caliber player on the roster, and when he graduates, so does the deal...Its really a no brainer, especially in Houston, what to do, especially if you are not in an established program where you will actually be coached, which is the case in a LOT of Houston area schools...It will be like shooting fish in a barrel!! ;)

Guest DickVitale

Privates have guidelines that mirror UIL rules.

Must be using one of those mirrors in the Fun House at the fair.

I was referring to the age limit guidelines, and 8 semester rules that privates must follow...The Prep schools are the ones that follow NO RULES at all...They just go out and play games.

Guest DickVitale

Is that financial aide clean money or dirty money ???

What? How could it possibly be "dirty" money? The financial assistance is given through an outside agency and the school only provides the paperwork.

Guest DickVitale

What? How could it possibly be "dirty" money? The financial assistance is given through an outside agency and the school only provides the paperwork.

What about the paperwork? Is it dirty?  ;D

No, it is not dirty either!! BLUEDOVE, did I answer your question? I take the heat off of you by coming back and THIS is the thanks I get!!! :D :D

What about the paperwork? Is it dirty?  ;D

No, it is not dirty either!! BLUEDOVE, did I answer your question? I take the heat off of you by coming back and THIS is the thanks I get!!! :D :D

And I do appreciate it. But sometimes you gotta push the buttons to keep the enemy focused on your comrades. Tis better to get shot at than shot! ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami