Private Schools VS. The UIL

Guest DickVitale

Guest DickVitale

What do you guys think about the new proposal to allow ALL privates to compete in the UIL in coming years? This is a topic that, for obvious reasons, have recently peaked my interest.  ;) Is it fair? How will it actually affect UIL play? Will it make it better? I have my thoughts, but what are you guys thoughts about it?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... Dickie... I don't think the right to play UIL should be extended to all private schools.  Some of them are just too small and will water down the competition more.  But I do believe if a Private school has a good resume of competitive play, then the offer ought to be extended.  I see no problem with that system, it has been alive and well on the East and West Coasts for decades. 

Only schools that opennly recruit should not be allowed to play, i.e. Oakhill.  But giving a kid that EARNS a scholarship to a private school BY PERFORMANCE the oppotunity to play in UIL is NOT a bad thing.  If the kid is already at the school and EARNS the scholarship by his play, I have no problem with that.  Those kids would either play for the public school districts for FREE or Private school for FREE, absolutely no change.

I must disagree on allowing private schools into the UIL.

I spent a short time as the Head Coach and Athletic Director of a private school in Austin back in the 80's. We of course did not offer athletic scholarships, but each year I was told that we could offer X number of scholarships and their was no acedemic performance that had to be established. The board was speaking to me as the athletic director not the school recruiter.

I also lived in Louisiana for a couple of years and almost every sport was dominated by private schools. Students playing varsity sports from the time they are in the 6th grade so they can get six years to mature and grow into the game.

I can listen to the arguements, "that will never happen here!" Just wait until some small school in mid County starts pulling athletes from Nederland, PNG and WOS with the promise of playing out of state or in nationally recognized tournaments with college scouts and even pro scouts always around waiting to talk to parents about "the next level". Then we will see if this becomes an ugly topic or not.

It's a bad idea and it will continue to be one no matter how much it is discussed.

I must disagree on allowing private schools into the UIL.

I spent a short time as the Head Coach and Athletic Director of a private school in Austin back in the 80's. We of course did not offer athletic scholarships, but each year I was told that we could offer X number of scholarships and their was no acedemic performance that had to be established. The board was speaking to me as the athletic director not the school recruiter.

I also lived in Louisiana for a couple of years and almost every sport was dominated by private schools. Students playing varsity sports from the time they are in the 6th grade so they can get six years to mature and grow into the game.

I can listen to the arguements, "that will never happen here!" Just wait until some small school in mid County starts pulling athletes from Nederland, PNG and WOS with the promise of playing out of state or in nationally recognized tournaments with college scouts and even pro scouts always around waiting to talk to parents about "the next level". Then we will see if this becomes an ugly topic or not.

It's a bad idea and it will continue to be one no matter how much it is discussed.

I agree with this post with a disclaimer. If UIL allows privates to play with the publics, then ALL the privates should have to play 5A, regardless of their size or location.

Guest DickVitale

That would more than likely be the case if it passes...All privates, for the most part would even compete in the same 5A districts....It is closer to reality than most think it is...Currently it has been tabled waiting on a House vote...Public coaches are shaking in their boots right now....MOST private schools do not offer "scholarships" anyway as thought. Not ATHLETIC scholarships anyway.  Public schools, especially in Houston recruit MORE than privates using AAU as the main vehicle, so that argument is null and void.  I think its a good thing, really.

Are we talking about putting all privates in UIL or just ones who want in??

If all were put in UIL and made to play 5a, they would most likely HAVE to recruit to compete.

I personally don't like the idea at all. There are too many opportunities for privates to take advantage of the system and recruit.

You says UIL schools in Houston recruit but at least the player has to live in the district and complete a PAPF form that the previous school must sign off on and be approved by district committee.

Guest DickVitale

Yeah but it cost money to attend a private school whereas students can go to a public school for free and not be held accountable for their grades in order to stay in that particular school. How is that an advantage for private schools? Privates must be very selective about who comes there, so they can't just be a heck of a player with no grades. I think its going to be great!  ;)

Guest nostradamus

Hmmmmm.....someone's thoughts on private schools and how they operate has changed....

Quote from: HJ-Hawks25 on March 13, 2009, 05:45:00 PM

Also, while the class 5A usually has students enrolling around 2200's, Houston Strake Jesuit only has 892 enrolled students. So as a 3A sized school, they happen to have found fantastic players that are overall better than any other school in texas with schools doubled their size.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes....If you believe that I've got some lakeside property in North Dakota that I want to sell you! This Strake team was PUT TOGETHER...They sponsored AAU events FOR FREE, FOR YEARS....And this year it kinda paid off...No state championship though! Wink

My point was about all the recruiting that goes on over there and how they slid into the UIL while doing so.  I am happy for the kids that were given those college opportunities, but even will ALL OF THAT D-1 TALENT that was BROUGHT IN to win a title in the UIL, their mission was NOT accomplished. Thats all.

BACK from Kelly means that they were PORT ARTHUR RESIDENTS to begin with.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes....Those kids do not live in the Sharpstown area, I GUARANTEE that....I promise you that there were MANY other privates that they could have attended closer to their residents...Wanna challenge THAT notion. Its not a bad thing, but they are not being held to UIL standards as everyone else in UIL is.

Yes, I know the Strake coach better than you think...He played for my dad in high school.... Wink..Great person, and has done a great job there...However, I know how he had to build that program from the ground BEFORE they got into UIL...As I said earlier, I KNOW the deal... Wink

Guest DickVitale

Sounds like that guy got a private school education somehow!! Maybe some ON THE JOB PRIVATE SCHOOL LESSONS... 8)... If you notice that guy NEVER said that it was WRONG, but he may have been arguing a point about how Strake got there so fast!  ;)....Nos, you don't forget anything do you?  :D...That is amazing!!

Guest DickVitale

Case of don't bite the hand that is CURRENTLY feeding you. ;) ;D

That guy has a very good point!!!! Smarter than the average Aggie, thats for sure!! ;)

Guest aschrapps

They don't and won't play by the same rules so NO!!!

Regardless of recruiting a kid does not have to live in a particular attendance zone to go to a private school so that is a huge advantage in and of itself.

Persohn lives in beaumont.... trying to understand how he is zoned for hj

Guest DickVitale

Regardless of recruiting a kid does not have to live in a particular attendance zone to go to a private school so that is a huge advantage in and of itself.

OUCH....Allegation city, baaaabby!! :D

Hmmm, this is food for thought. ;) ;D

Guest DickVitale

I am not sure where he lives but his dad is a teacher/ coach in the HJ school district also.

THAT would settle it then....Should be no more questions asked about that one.

Guest nostradamus

Hmmmm....hoops123.....gonna try not to be ugly here but, as a coach you should have your facts straight before you make asenine accusations like that.  The ENTIRE Persohn family lives.......oh.....about 50 yards from the Sutherlands IN PINEWOOD!!! AND his dad has been the elementary PE teacher at SLE for 7 years now.....so they could live in friggin Timbuktu and it wouldn't matter.  So before you throw MORONIC statements like that out perhaps you should make sure you have your facts straight.  Don't forget, we have a former Kelly employee here at HJ now......if you want get ugly.......I can assure you........we can get ugly.

Hmmmm....hoops123.....gonna try not to be ugly here but, as a coach you should have your facts straight before you make asenine accusations like that.  The ENTIRE Persohn family lives.......oh.....about 50 yards from the Sutherlands IN PINEWOOD!!! AND his dad has been the elementary PE teacher at SLE for 7 years now.....so they could live in friggin Timbuktu and it wouldn't matter.  So before you throw MORONIC statements like that out perhaps you should make sure you have your facts straight.  Don't forget, we have a former Kelly employee here at HJ now......if you want get ugly.......I can assure you........we can get ugly.

The gauntlet has been thrown down!!!!

Care for rebuttal, hoops123?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder