**OF at BC Updates..9-1 BC Wins!!!**

Defensive Cardinals take down Bobcats, 9-1

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — Bridge City’s Matt Hicks knows exactly why he has been so successful this season.

The Cardinals’ defense does not usually give up too many free runs for the opponents.

Bridge City used its strong defense Tuesday to get past Orangefield 9-1.

The Cardinals (21-2-1, 9-0) won for the 15th time in a row after getting key hits from seniors Eric Matthews and Grant Encalade on Senior Night.

Orangefield (18-9, 5-4) also let a few golden opportunities go to waste in the early innings.

“Our defense was unbelievable tonight,†Hicks said. “(Caleb) Kellogg made a great play in the second inning and everybody made plays. It is a big relief knowing when a great hitter is up that I don’t have to strike them out every time.â€

Orangefield did get a little help from Hardin-Jefferson who defeated West Orange-Stark 4-2 Tuesday. The Bobcats remain a game ahead of the Mustangs for the final District 21-3A playoff spot. Orangefield travels to face W0-S on Friday.

The Bobcats loaded the bases in the first inning with no outs on two walks and a hitter batter.

Chase Angelle then hit into a fielder’s choice to third when Bridge City third baseman Blake Hubbard scooped up a grounder and threw home for the force out.

Hicks then got a fly out to right and then a ground out to end the threat.

The Bobcats then put runners on first and second with no outs in the second.

Derrick Evans hit a fly ball to Kellogg in right who caught it for the first out and fired to Hubbard at third who doubled off Brock Whitson who was tagging from second.

Hicks got another fly out to end the threat.

The Cardinals’ offense laid dormant for the first three innings until Hubbard hit a one-out single to left.

Dylan Mulhollan and Encalade then both reached on a fielder’s choices to load the bases.

Matthews came up with the Cardinals’ first big hit of the night with a two-run double to right center to score both Hubbard and Mulhollan as the Cardinals took a 2-0 lead.

“He (Jace Statum) threw me a curveball on the first pitch and I was looking for a fastball on the next one,†Matthews said. “I’m just proud I finally didn’t hit the ball right at someone. It was Senior Night, so knowing it could be my last home game here, it is a thrill to have a big hit off such a great pitcher like Jace.â€

Bridge City struck for four runs in the bottom of the fifth.

Luke Rhodes, who reached on a fielder’s choice, scored when Mulhollan reached on an error to make it 3-0.

Encalade plated Mulhollan and Hubbard, who reached on an infield single, with a three-run home run to deep left field as Bridge City jumped out to a 6-0 lead.

“It felt great to give Matt some extra runs on the board,†Encalade said. “Our defense has been so impressive lately. We really had a great game tonight. Tonight was a dream come true to homer on Senior Night.â€

The Encalade home run chased Statum out of the game. Statum hurled a nice game giving up seven hits with seven strike outs and two walks in 4 2/3 innings.

Jacob Felts scored the Bobcats lone run in the top of the sixth after he doubled to right center and took third on a wild pitch.

Zach Peevey plated Felts with a RBI ground out to make it 6-1.

The Cardinals tacked on three more runs in the bottom of the sixth.

Anthony Cessac and Joe Robertson led off with back-to-back singles to left.

Cessac scored on a wild pitch and Robertson came home when Dustin Breaux reached base on an error.

Jared Raggio, who came in to run for Rhodes, also scored when Breaux reached base to make the final score.

“These guys are amazing,†Matthews said. “We really gel as a team and we all love to play the game. Everybody does their job and we are a great squad to play for.â€

Hicks went all seven innings for the Cardinals and gave up one run on four hits with nine strike outs and three walks.

The Cardinals finish the year on the road to face the Hamshire-Fannett Longhorns.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder