COACHES!!!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nostradamus

Joubert has won two state championships at Kountze......'05 and '07 with a regional semi-final in between where they lost to Arp

Sutherland played football and basketball in high school.  There wasn't any semi-pro football around back then.....does that mean he isn't a basketball guy?

I played basketball, tennis, and golf.  I have played in some local tennis tournaments and golf tournaments in the past in the off-season....does that mean I am not a basketball guy??

So the guy played semi-pro football in his off time....so what.....

Jack Nicklaus was a multi sport athlete in college.......does that mean he is not a golf guy

Andy Evans NEVER played football in high school or college and wanted to be a head basketball coach......he has back to back state championships in football and 3 straight state championship appearances......is he not a football guy?

Better yet, the head basketball coach at Navasota in 1990 when they went undefeated and won the 3A state championship was ALSO the head football coach at Navasota (where they made a deep playoff run)......is he not a basketball guy?

Guest nostradamus
The girls coach from Canyon, I can't remember his name.  He has a lot of rings!

I mentioned him in one of the first responses......Joe Lombard

Guest stevenash

Joubert has won two state championships at Kountze......'05 and '07 with a regional semi-final in between where they lost to Arp

Sutherland played football and basketball in high school.  There wasn't any semi-pro football around back then.....does that mean he isn't a basketball guy?

I played basketball, tennis, and golf.  I have played in some local tennis tournaments and golf tournaments in the past in the off-season....does that mean I am not a basketball guy??

Jack Nicklaus was a multi sport athlete in college.......does that mean he is not a golf guy

Andy Evans NEVER played football in high school or college and wanted to be a head basketball coach......he has back to back state championships in football and 3 straight state championship appearances......is he not a football guy?

Better yet, the head basketball coach at Navasota in 1990 when they went undefeated and won the 3A state championship was ALSO the head football coach at Navasota (where they made a deep playoff run)......is he not a basketball guy?

Come on, Nos.  Get real.  You don't expect logic to be well received here, do you?

After 9 holes of play completed, Nos is 4 up on DV!!!! ;D

Guest DickVitale

Golf and tennis are lifetime sports that I enjoy as well....BUT at heart I am a basketball guy...The examples that you presented are good and well taken, but IMO those are very rare cases. Joubert may very well BE a hoops lover, and a darn good basketball coach, but just not a basketball guy. Once again, its no knock, its just what it is..I was a quarterback in football in little league and Jr high...Once I got to high school, I needed to specialize, so being a basketball guy thats what I did...We probably had 2 guys the entire time I was in high school to play varsity basketball and varsity football. Two. We specialized and were more succesful for it. in BOTH sports.  Not very many two sport stars during the Lincoln days either....Ozen, we had one...get the trend? ;)

Golf and tennis are lifetime sports that I enjoy as well....BUT at heart I am a basketball guy...The examples that you presented are good and well taken, but IMO those are very rare cases. Joubert may very well BE a hoops lover, and a darn good basketball coach, but just not a basketball guy. Once again, its no knock, its just what it is..I was a quarterback in football in little league and Jr high...Once I got to high school, I needed to specialize, so being a basketball guy thats what I did...We probably had 2 guys the entire time I was in high school to play varsity basketball and varsity football. Two. We specialized and were more succesful for it. in BOTH sports.  Not very many two sport stars during the Lincoln days either....Ozen, we had one...get the trend? ;)

Those last few examples you stated are not good ones. Bigger schools with bigger enrollments allow for "specialization". ::) No trend there.

David Milson - Cedar Hill

Glen Hayes - Aransas Pass

Sammy Koudelka - Moulton

Girls coach at Winnsboro???  Buddy ???

Joe Lombard - Canyon Girls

Buddy Hawkins is the Winnsboro coach.  And i will add Samantha Morrow to the girls list.  4 straight 5A titles at Mansfield(assuming shes still coaching).

Cant argue with yours or DV's list.  

Guest spinks

Duane was a more talented football player than basketball.  That doesnt mean he is not a basketball guy.  In fact it shows more that he is a basketball guy that he never quit playing.  Most guys that were as talented as him would have been football year around in order to become a better player but because he loooooooooooved basketball he never quit.  No one ever said basketball had to be your best sport to coach it.  Right?

Guest DickVitale

Those last few examples you stated are not good ones. Bigger schools with bigger enrollments allow for "specialization". ::) No trend there.

Its an opinion and I respect that...NO wins or losses here, just opinions.

Guest nostradamus

I just made a call to the University of Arkansas.  After a long talk with Tramain Thomas...I have convinced him that IF he were to decide to become a basketball coach and he were very successful at it that he needs to make sure he understands that he will never be considered a "basketball guy" because he played football in college and was not at a school with 1500+ kids and therefore, did not specialize in any sports.  Poor guy.....has no future as a "basketball guy".

BTW, I competed in golf and tennis........did not play them as life time sports.  In fact, I would argue that I was more gifted in tennis but, never pursued it to the level I pursued basketball.  Tennis and golf are only lifetime sports once you cannot compete any longer.

Guest DickVitale

You were on the golf and tennis team? Did not know that...Now YOU are a TENNIS guy! Seriously, I think you guys think that I am saying that you can't play additional sports and still be a basketball guy...Thats no crime. But if you play on a SEMI PRO football team, you are probably a football person...Probably. No biggie, just my humble opinion...I think Joubert is a heck of a coach by the way and a good person as well.

I just made a call to the University of Arkansas.  After a long talk with Tramain Thomas...I have convinced him that IF he were to decide to become a basketball coach and he were very successful at it that he needs to make sure he understands that he will never be considered a "basketball guy" because he played football in college and was not at a school with 1500+ kids and therefore, did not specialize in any sports.  Poor guy.....has no future as a "basketball guy".

BTW, I competed in golf and tennis........did not play them as life time sports.  In fact, I would argue that I was more gifted in tennis but, never pursued it to the level I pursued basketball.  Tennis and golf are only lifetime sports once you cannot compete any longer.

Okay, Nos now has DV dormy with 6 holes remaining!

Guest DickVitale

Nos, stop arguing the point! The guy plays football and coaches basketball..It happens! He's done well..AND he's from HJ.... ::)..Geez! I wish we could have played you guys in 91... or 92! Man I wish Charlie B wasn't scared to play Houston schools back then........ ::) ::) I would have enjoyed beating the brakes off of HJ back then! Thoroughly enjoyed it! 8)....We pounded Lincoln (since they were not afraid to play up) so it would have gotten really ugly for you guys!!! ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder