Lady Indians near 38-4A soccer title but not quite there

Lady Indians near 38-4A soccer title but not quite there

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

NEDERLAND -- Aimee Bates has not been able to throw the celebration party for her Port Neches-Groves girls soccer team just quite yet.

There may be time for such a party this weekend, but not yet.

With a thoroughly impressive 17-2-1 season record and a flawless 7-0 district mark, the Lady Indians deserve a party. Some might feel they should deserve at least a part of a District 38-4A championship right now.

But with those accomplishments already in hand, PN-G could finish second in its league with one remaining regular-season game on its schedule.

A 10-year-old girls soccer program without an outright district title of any kind so far, PN-G can secure its first-ever girls district soccer title with a win tonight in Nederland's Bulldog Stadium at 7 p.m.

Perennial backyard champ Nederland -- a recent stretch of 14 consecutive district titles -- could still finish first as well. By winning tonight any old way (regulation, overtime or shootout), Nederland (15-5-3 and 6-1) would force a third meeting between the Mid-County neighbors on either Monday or Tuesday next week.

It doesn't completely make tonight's regular season finale a district championship game but it's about the same difference.

On the subject of different, these girls soccer teams have had to be rather weather-proof in the last couple of days. Girls such as Nederland's Jacie Bell and PN-G's Chloe Chiasson would have been sweating at practice on Wednesday as temperatures would leap to 80 degrees. Many of them were all bundled up during Thursday's practice as temperatures were dipping into the mid-40s.

Both of these teams are outstanding and regionally dominant. Both will advance into next weekend's Class 4A girls bidistrict playoff round against Hardin-Jefferson or Silsbee. The 38-4A champion would open its playoff trek against Silsbee. The runner-up would meet Hardin-Jefferson.

The caliber of PN-G's 2-0 victory over Nederland on Feb. 24 at Port Neches revealed the solid skill level of both teams. Bates stationed Chelsea Horn and fellow defenders in the vicinity of Nederland senior Megan Melancon to nullify Melancon's effectiveness at moving balls in the air.

Excellent goalkeepers -- Bianca Garza of Nederland and Breanne Martin of PN-G -- made high-quality saves during the game, as they have all season. Martin and the Lady Indians have shut out 14 opponents. Garza and the Lady Bulldogs have blanked 13 foes.

While the 4A regular season is scheduled to conclude tonight, the 5A regular season is set to finish on Tuesday night. Neither of Port Arthur Memorial's boys or girls squads will qualify for the post-season from District 21-5A.

"Regionally dominant"?  Seriously?  Just kidding.  ;D 

Where is the big PNG/Nederland showdown tonight?  I am thinking of driving over to watch the team that promises to end the Lady Mustangs' reign.  And, if I do I want all of my East umm.... Southeast Texas fans to swing by and say hello. 

The game will take place at the Nederland High School at 7 p.m. tonight.

"Perennial backyard champ Nederland -- a recent stretch of 14 consecutive district titles -- could still finish first as well".

Champ?  Wha?  A recent stretch of 14 titles ended last year.  And it shouldnt start back up this year if PNG is as good as advertised.

What an incredible display of soccer and talent by both teams tonight!! that was classic Indian - Bulldog rivalry at its best! Congrats to Nederland on the win and looking forward to Monday or Tuesday! I'm an Indian fan and father to one of the girls!  This game had it all including a game winning shot by Natilie Hagar in the first overtime with no time left on the clock that was called off by the mid-field referree...very questionable but making no excuses...Nederland came back and scored in the first minute of second overtime and helod on to win the game! Congrats to the bulldogs and cant wait to watch this one again!

Great soccer game at Nederland tonight...both teams played hard, hard, hard!  FYI...the AR on the PNG sideline called offsides well before the PNG shot was taken...that's why the center ref waved off the goal.  No controversy...should be another great match Tuesday.  Best of luck to both teams.

No excuses here...Nederland won the game..but what actually happened  is the sideline ref called in inadvertent call and had pulled his flag down once he realized there was no offsides...and let the play continue...I believe that the Referree in the Mid-field probably blew the whistle to stop the play before the score although the sideline ref withdrew his call....thats sports

Glad you enjoyed it Friendswood!  I did as well....we may not be the caliber of the powerhouses you have been speaking about...but i do think PNG and Nederland are talented enough to compete against anyone in the state...and as always in sports..you never know and thats why you play the game!  Hope you come down on Tuesday to the Reservation to see another great game!

Two trips in one week is probably not in the cards, but I wish you guys the best.  Nothing would make me happier than to see PNG or Nederland playing Friendswood in the Regional Final.

Now that would be a fun to watch as the regional final game. We'll post the results of tuesday.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder