Fishing at Pleasure Island?

I have not heard. If you dint do anygood there, try Texas bayou.  You go down 87 past the 4 way stop in Sabine pass. At the dead end, turn right and go to the bridge.  A few years ago, I caught 17 specs in 15 minutes.

I talked to a guy a week or so ago that limited on redfish in the same location.

Its always been hit and miss for me there. When I do go down there I try to fish the GSU canal.  Sometimes you can catch it right.

There was a redfish head that head been cut off and it was pretty fresh... The head was twice as big as my fist, huge... So that means they had to be there somewhere...

As mainly a Bass Fisherman, saltwater has always been difficult for me.  A few years ago, before Rita I decided to really try saltwater fishing.  I went out one day from Sabine Pass and spent most of the day trying locations I had heard were productive but with no luck.  When I was just about to call it quits, I was coming back to the boat ramp and noticed some sunken shrimp boats 200 yards from the ramp.  I started to fish next to the wrecks and came home with 10 flounder. Went out 4 days later with a buddy and fished the wrecks and came home with 20 flounder. It was so easy I would tie off to the wrecks and leave my boat and walk the top of the wrecks fishing vertical right next to the boat I was on. I did this until I had 60 flounder in my freezer and everyone who went with me had their limits. This was over about 4 trips. What I found was the fish only would bite 2 hours after an incoming tide. If I missed the tide, I would not catch anything. Before I figured it out I would fish for 2 and 3 hours without a bite. Then a couple hours after the tide would go out I would start catching them in the same place I had been for 3 hours. So a moving tide is the key to catching fish in salt water! Since Rita and Ike, the shrimp boat wrecks are gone.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove down the N levee today and good lord!  Horrible isn't the word to descirbe it!  I got about 2/3 the way down and came to pretty wet and deep spot that I'd rather not take my Ranger through, not to mention how easy you have to take it all the way except for a few spots.  I really want to get my kayak all the way to the end to get out in that flat and do some wading.  On the topic of Pleasure Island.  Does the sediment pond inside the levee hold reds?  I have heard that it does and would really like to hit it in the kayak..nice and protected!

I drove down the N levee today and good lord!  Horrible isn't the word to descirbe it!  I got about 2/3 the way down and came to pretty wet and deep spot that I'd rather not take my Ranger through, not to mention how easy you have to take it all the way except for a few spots.  I really want to get my kayak all the way to the end to get out in that flat and do some wading.  On the topic of Pleasure Island.  Does the sediment pond inside the levee hold reds?  I have heard that it does and would really like to hit it in the kayak..nice and protected!

The one on the south end used to hold a lot of reds. I have caught many over the years in the 10-20 pound range. I have not fished there in the last few years however and don't know if the dredging has hurt that area.

There are two drains on the north revetment. They both hold fish when the tide is moving and at the right time of year you can absolutely kill the trout on live shrimp (which are a little hard to come by) and topwater. The seawall, both the stone and wooden parts are good for flounder especially at the drains and the old docks. Just drag a mud minnow along the wall as you walk slowly, they are there. The seawall and revetments can be good for trout anywhere at the right time of year.. You just have to fish it a lot to know when and where. Also, there are places along the ship channel between the Pleasure island bridge and the causeway bridgewhere you can wade for flounder. Just wade out about waist deep and fish with a mud minnow or finger mullet. I use a 1/2 ounce slip sinker above an 18" light steel leader. This has worked for me for at least 30 years. I think a monofilament leader might work better but I have jist never been inclined to change my habit. Another place that can be awesome is Walters Pier at the causeway. It is trashed right now but if they rebuild it its a great place to fish at night.

One note on safety. if you are wading the ship channel get out of the water when you see a ship coming. They suck out all the water in a big hurry and you can get your feet yanked out from under you and swept away so fast you would not believe it. Its not that big of a deal to work around and as you get used to it, you dont even think about getting in and out as the ships pass. Please be careful and dont drown yourself.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder