Setxsports Baseball Top 10

March 8, 2009   Poll

1. Bridge City (8-2-1) - Only 2 losses are to Nederland and the Cards beat WB twice, LC-M and the BC tourney this week

2. LC-M (7-5) - Bears went 3-2 in the very tough Brenham tourney, BC and the New Caney tourney this week

3. West Brook (5-5) - Beat Nederland twice last week but dropped 2 to BC, district opener with Channelview then off to the Barbe tourney this week

4. Nederland (4-6) - Dropped 2 to WB but beat BC, Deer Park tourney this week

5. PN-G (3-7) - After starting 3-0 the Tribe have dropped 7 straight, BH and the Lufkin tourney this week

6. Dayton (7-3) - Went 2-2 in the WO-S tourney with close losses to Kingwood Park and Crosby, HJ and the BH tourney this week

7. Barbers Hill (4-4) - Lost to Manvel and went 1-3 in the Ewell Jackson, PN-G and the BH tourney this week

8. Hamshire-Fannett (8-2) - Went 4-0 last week and won the OF tourney, showdown with Kirbyville and the Kirbyville tourney this week

9. Vidor (5-3) - Went 2-2 in the WO-S tourney, WO-S and the Jasper tourney this week

10. Orangefield (10-1) - Only loss is a 1 run game against Buna, Livingston and the BC tourney this week

Jasper (6-2), Kirbyville (8-1), WO-S (6-5)

Feb 22 Poll

1.  Port-Neches-Groves

2.  Little Cypress-Mauriceville

3.  Nederland

4.  West Brook

5.  Barbers Hill

6.  Bridge City

7.  Vidor

8.  Huffman

9.  Kelly

10. Jasper

Orangefield,  Hamshire-Fannett,  Buna

1.  Port-Neches-Groves

3.  Nederland

4.  West Brook

5.  Barbers Hill

6.  Bridge City

7.  Vidor

8.  Huffman

9.  Kelly

10. Jasper

Teams I've seen in scrimmages:

PNG.....loaded, lots of pitching, spikes looked the best i've seen him throw in awhile..jalai only soph can swing it, reyenga to me is the toughest out in that lineup

LCM...pitching was suspect going in, no problem at this point, plenty and good...lineup of hitters deep, barry to me toughest out...will be toughest on the road in bigger ballparks to utilize the gappers hit

Nederland....young team this year, could start 3 sophmores....camp fun, 2 a days and maybe austin in bb could slow some non-district wins....tyler smith (soph) looks good on mound...vidrine D1

West Brook...slow out of the box for 5A....defense could be better.....muelner one of the sweetest swings

Barbers Hill....haven't seen them....on paper haven't dropped off much from last year

Bridge City....lot of power from a 3A...rhodes, hubbard and mulholan can go deep....defense needs to tighten....wallace could surprise

Vidor.....haven't seen....hester can beat anyone....bruce can play

Huffman....seen last year against LCM...solid squad, lot of returnees

Kelly...prewitt was impressive. always like o'connell

Jasper....haven't seen.....but it's jasper and their coach

Orangefield....i like this team, motivated....pitching depth isn't bad, plenty.....statum tough out

Hamshire-Fannett...haven't seen, probably most experience coming back.....eaves can smash....healthy koenig, playoff bound

Buna...haven't seen this year....lot coming back from state finals......i like clark

1.  Port-Neches-Groves

3.  Nederland

4.  West Brook

5.  Barbers Hill

6.  Bridge City

7.  Vidor

8.  Huffman

9.  Kelly

10. Jasper

Above is our pre-season Top 10. After a weeks play, how did it stack up?

I know Crosby and Dayton made real good showings at the Vidor and LCM tournaments and their missing. PNG drops games to LA teams Kaplan and Sulphur. LCM drops 3 in their tournament. Nederland beats BC and 2 solid teams in Houston, then run ruled twice. West Brook wins a couple, the loses a couple in same tournament with Nederland. Barbers Hill goes west, mops up early in lower classification, then lays an egg. BC comes back from Nederland loss, sweeps 4 and plays another that both teams throw 7 innings of shut out ball. Vidor sweeps 3, 3A's with Hester in one of them, loses to 4A Dayton. Huffman goes 2-3, wins over Willis and Northern Christian. Jasper has impressive lost, if a lost can be impressive to Vidor with Hester and a 7-6 defeat from Dayton. Orangefield is un-defeated, Hamshire-Fannet takes down LCM and Buna takes a few lumps playing up a class.

Let's see your Top 10 or comments.

Hard to say for us (Huffman) bc they were in the Spring tourn. but they are very young. At this point I would say long season if not for they fact they have Coach Deberry. Thought they would be much better at this point but have to wait and see.

Dayton did extemely well in the Vidor tournament going 4-0, by beating silsbee 1st game 5-3 vidor the 2nd 8-3 ozen the 3rd 21-2 and jasper for the last one and dayton won 7-6 i think they might really far this year. they have 3 good pitchers Walter,Smesny and the lefty Dillian K

Huffman will be fine once they hit district play. They should mop the floor with 22-3A.

1. PN-G (3-2)- I'll keep the Indians here for now, Sulphur LA and the Baytown Tourney this week

2. Nederland (2-3)- beat BC and played very tough teams in Houston, West Brook and Nederland Tourney this week

3. Barbers Hill (3-1)- 2 shutout wins over Caldwell and La Grange, we will find out what they got this week with Manvel and the Ewell Jackson Tourney

4. LC-M (4-3)- split with HF and Hudson, Like BH we will find out the Bear's mettle this week at the Brenham Tourney

5. Bridge City (4-1-1)- highlight of the week was run ruling 2A #1 Buna, Kelly and the Nederland Tourney this week

6. West Brook (2-3)- Bruins are human without Svoboda on the mound, Nederland and the Nederland Tourney this week

7. Dayton (4-1)- undefeated in the Vidor Tourney, Hardin-Jefferson and the Certa-Bearden Tourney this week

8. Vidor (3-1)- lost to Dayton but beat Jasper, Jasper re-match and the Certa-Bearden Tourney this week

9. Orangefield (5-0)- good pitching depth and the bats are hot, Ozen and the Orangefield Tourney this week

10. Hamshire-Fannett (4-2)- run-ruled by Crosby and LC-M but also beat the Bears 10-9, Buna and the Orangefield Tourney this week

Jasper (3-2), Kirbyville (5-0), Kountze (4-1)

c'mon babe we need a small school top ten

burn

don't get to see the 2a and below very often. i know i'm missing some good ball. recruit me someone who has passion for the game at the high school level.

with work, a new grandbaby this weekend, who by his movements in the nursery will be a 5 tool player, i'm pretty spread out. so spread out that mrs ruth might trade me for mr gehrig.

Dayton did extemely well in the Vidor tournament going 4-0, by beating silsbee 1st game 5-3 vidor the 2nd 8-3 ozen the 3rd 21-2 and jasper for the last one and dayton won 7-6 i think they might really far this year. they have 3 good pitchers Walter,Smesny and the lefty Dillian K

Dayton just beat two of the top 10 teams...

Look for the Broncos to start moving up the rankings.

1.  Port-Neches-Groves

3.  Nederland

4.  West Brook

5.  Barbers Hill

6.  Bridge City

7.  Vidor

8.  Huffman

9.  Kelly

10. Jasper

It's time to shake the top 10 . I'll be out most of the day, but make your comments and maybe tonight we can adjust.

1.  Port-Neches-Groves.....7 game losing streak

2.  Little Cypress-Mauriceville....2-2 in Brenham tourn

3.  Nederland......2-2 in own tourn

4.  West Brook....loses twice to BC, no svoboda

5.  Barbers Hill..... need more info

6.  Bridge City....wins ned tournament, hicks pitches total 3 inn.

7.  Vidor.....2-2 in WOS tourn

8.  Huffman....need more info

9.  Kelly....need more info

10. Jasper....need more info

Orangefield......10-1 for yr, lost only to buna

Hamshire-Fannett...wins OF tourn

Buna....struggling

Huffman will be fine once they hit district play. They should mop the floor with 22-3A.

1. PN-G (3-2)- I'll keep the Indians here for now, Sulphur LA and the Baytown Tourney this week

2. Nederland (2-3)- beat BC and played very tough teams in Houston, West Brook and Nederland Tourney this week

3. Barbers Hill (3-1)- 2 shutout wins over Caldwell and La Grange, we will find out what they got this week with Manvel and the Ewell Jackson Tourney

4. LC-M (4-3)- split with HF and Hudson, Like BH we will find out the Bear's mettle this week at the Brenham Tourney

5. Bridge City (4-1-1)- highlight of the week was run ruling 2A #1 Buna, Kelly and the Nederland Tourney this week

6. West Brook (2-3)- Bruins are human without Svoboda on the mound, Nederland and the Nederland Tourney this week

7. Dayton (4-1)- undefeated in the Vidor Tourney, Hardin-Jefferson and the Certa-Bearden Tourney this week

8. Vidor (3-1)- lost to Dayton but beat Jasper, Jasper re-match and the Certa-Bearden Tourney this week

9. Orangefield (5-0)- good pitching depth and the bats are hot, Ozen and the Orangefield Tourney this week

10. Hamshire-Fannett (4-2)- run-ruled by Crosby and LC-M but also beat the Bears 10-9, Buna and the Orangefield Tourney this week

Jasper (3-2), Kirbyville (5-0), Kountze (4-1)

Above is what I had after last week. After 2 weeks of play I'll go with......

1. Bridge City (8-2-1) - Only 2 losses are to Nederland and the Cards beat WB twice, LC-M and the BC tourney this week

2. LC-M (7-5) - Bears went 3-2 in the very tough Brenham tourney, BC and the New Caney tourney this week

3. West Brook (5-5) - Beat Nederland twice last week but dropped 2 to BC, district opener with Channelview then off to the Barbe tourney this week

5. PN-G (3-7) - After starting 3-0 the Tribe have dropped 7 straight, BH and the Lufkin tourney this week

6. Dayton (7-3) - Went 2-2 in the WO-S tourney with close losses to Kingwood Park and Crosby, HJ and the BH tourney this week

7. Barbers Hill (4-4) - Lost to Manvel and went 1-3 in the Ewell Jackson, PN-G and the BH tourney this week

8. Hamshire-Fannett (8-2) - Went 4-0 last week and won the OF tourney, showdown with Kirbyville and the Kirbyville tourney this week

9. Vidor (5-3) - Went 2-2 in the WO-S tourney, WO-S and the Jasper tourney this week

10. Orangefield (10-1) - Only loss is a 1 run game against Buna, Livingston and the BC tourney this week

March 8, 2009

Setxsports Top 10 Baseball Poll

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder