The difference between the #1 seed and #2 seed in 21-3A

I know some said that this game 3 was not very meaningful, but I would like to illustrate why I think the game was important.

The #1 seed out of our district gets a bye in the first round. This will enable the team to get some deserving rest. They will then face Cameron, a team that hasn't done any barn burning this year. If the Tigers take down the Yoeman, then in the regional quarterfinal round, Silsbee would most likely face WOS, a team they have defeated twice already this year, by an average of about 20 points. A win over WOS would put the Tigers in the regional tourney.

As for the #2 seed, IMO, it is a much tougher route to regionals. HJ will play Liberty in the first round. I beleive that to be a win for the Hawks. But waiting for the Hawks in the Area round is top 10 ranked Navasota. If HJ manages to take down the Rattlers, then they would most likely face another top 10 team in Cleveland in the regional quarters.

HJ has to play 3 games total with two of the three against top 10 opponents. Silsbee only plays two games total, and none of which will be against a top 10 ranked team and also one of those teams would be a very familiar opponent, one that they would have much confidence in going up against.

I know some think that no route is any easier than the other, you have to play each and every game. Anything can happen when you play in the playoffs. Just ask that '98 Silsbee team who was 32-0, ranked #1 in state and ranked nationally. They lost in the first round. But in my opinion, winning that game last night made the road to regionals easier for Silsbee and tougher for HJ. I think by Travis agreeing to play the game instead of conceding the #1 seed, is proof in the pudding.

Guest stevenash

Very well said.  In the unlikely event that HJ makes it through and game#4 takes place, I will suggest that the road taken by HJ will make them better prepared for game #4 than the Silsbee route although some feel that getting there might take it all out of HJ.  Guess there are two ways (or more) to look at it.  If we could just get the HJ coaching staff to "know when to play certain people" , they might have a better chance to win.  Maybe I can solicit the thoughts of certain "enlightened" fans and/or parents to convey those thoughts directly to the staff instead of sending an intermediary who attempts to use a second intermediary to communicate his/her wisdom.

I agree, if HJ makes it to the regional final, they will have earned it. If Silsbee makes it to the regional final, one could argue that they did not play anybody to get there. You could say one would be better prepared or wore out from the trip an the other is ill prepared or very well rested for the final.

Isn't Silsbee the only district winner in their bracket?

There are two other district winners in the lower bracket. 17-3A winner Tatum and 19-3A winner Lorena. Both these teams could face each other in the regional quarters. The first time Silsbee could face a district winner would be the regional semis and it would either be Lorena or Tatum, assuming that these teams make it that far along with assuming Silsbee makes it that far.

The reason the lower bracket has only 3 district winners compared to the upper bracket's 4 is because district 23-3A winner is in the lower bracket. We all know there is no district 23-3A, therefore no district winner to contend with. There is a possibility that Silsbee or any other team could face no district winner all the way through regionals.

Guest tigersvoice

I agree, if HJ makes it to the regional final, they will have earned it. If Silsbee makes it to the regional final, one could argue that they did not play anybody to get there. You could say one would be better prepared or wore out from the trip an the other is ill prepared or very well rested for the final.

If there is a Silsbee vs. Hardin Jefferson regional final game I don't think it will take much to get both/either teams/team up and ready for the game.  It will be adrenaline times 4, BABY!!!

Guest stevenash

If there is a Silsbee vs. Hardin Jefferson regional final game I don't think it will take much to get both/either teams/team up and ready for the game.  It will be adrenaline times 4, BABY!!!

Do you think I will have been awarded a moderator "position" (with all the attendant perks and notoriety) by then?

Guest tigersvoice

Do you think I will have been awarded a moderator "position" (with all the attendant perks and notoriety) by then?

Nash, I'm beginning to like you (in a manly kind of way) and that

can't be good.  But, I'm not sure that you'll ever be in the "Good-ol'-Boy Club" that qualifies you to be a moderator.

Guest stevenash

It pains me to agree with you but you are right about never being able to belong to the good ole boy club.  But I can dream, can't I?  Everyone is entitled to an unattainable fantasy once in a while.  Obama and McCain dreamed about being president.  Silsbee and HJ dream of a trip to Austin.  Some dream of becoming rich and famous.  I just happen to dream of being a SETXsports moderator.

I will be very surprised to see HJ make to regionals.  I think they might win first game but that is it.  I am not being negative they just have to be on their game from here on out and I have not really seen that this season.  Good luck to them.

would not count HJ out under any circumstance

I will be very surprised to see HJ make to regionals.  I think they might win first game but that is it.  I am not being negative they just have to be on their game from here on out and I have not really seen that this season.  Good luck to them.

would not count HJ out under any circumstance

I agree.  HJ is the defending Region III runnerup from last year.  Until someone dethrones them, they are the team to beat in their bracket.  I think they will step up and do what is necessary to advance.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317