Crouch a superb choice for LC-M

Crouch a superb choice for LC-M

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

Little Cypress-Mauriceville is getting them a good one.

After going through 61 applications for the vacant Athletic Director and head football coach position, many of them excellent ones, LC-M Superintendent Dr. Pauline Hargrove has giving a recommendation for long-time West Orange-Stark offensive coordinator Randy Crouch.

There is no doubt in my mind that “Randolph,†as I’ve called him all these years, will help lift the spirits of the LC-M community, not only in football but all other sports and events that go on in the community as well.

Coach Crouch has seen it all on the gridiron.

He played the sport to near perfection on the offensive line for those legendary Sulphur (La.) Tors and those Louisiana Tech Bulldogs. He was a prep All-American in 1971 and a All-American guard for Louisiana Tech in 1974 and part of the Bulldogs’ Division II national title in 1973.

Coach Crouch has always been a humble man. He has always gave credit where credit is due and doesn’t worry about receiving a slew of pats on the back. Sounds like a typical offensive lineman, doesn't it?

That’s what made it so special in 2001 when I got to do a story on him when he became a member of the All-Century Team at Louisiana Tech in 2001.

He coached the college game for over 10 years, soaking in a lot of information.

He was the head coach at both DeQuincy and Sulphur high schools.

Coach Crouch is the type of person you would like to be a friend of for a lifetime.

Unfortunately for this scribe, I didn’t get a chance to know him until he showed up at LC-M in 1994 where he became offensive coordinator. That had a lot to do with long-time LC-M coach David Williams, who always liked Crouch from their hometown days. Both of them are Tors from Sulphur and believe me, they’re proud of it after all the tales I‘ve heard over the years.

The Bears had a great deal of success in those days, making the playoffs and making the 4A Region III Finals in 1997.

When many folks across Southeast Texas think of Coach Crouch, they think of his days with the Mustangs.

Good ones they were. That may be an understatement.

Of course, WO-S was winning way before Crouch arrived.

However, the Mustangs have been 104-22 since he arrived in 1998.

WO-S went undefeated in five of those seasons in rolling to district crowns. Since dropping to the Class 3A level, the Mustangs have yet to drop a district game.

Perhaps Crouch’s most shining moment came in the 2000 season when the Mustangs went 15-1 and advanced to the Class 4A state game. Who could forget that great state semifinal game against Corpus Christi Calallen and the plays the offense made down the stretch.

I’m not calling him an “old†guy, but Coach Crouch has seen it all in his coaching days. He can run any offense that fits the personnel that is available.

Who can forget the success he had at LC-M. The Bears ran the Wishbone and Veer to near perfection with quarterback Khris Omey pulling the trigger and running back Bo Louis running through opposing secondaries.

At WO-S, the Mustangs played a lot in the I-formation in the early Crouch years and then switched to a spread in recent years with the likes of Kenneth Beasley, Earl Thomas, Andre Bevil and Ortavious Hypolite. Crouch is a coach that can change with the times. He’s open to innovations.

So what will he run at LC-M?

That’s yet to be determined, but something tells me it might be a “smash-mouth†type of style.

It’s not going to be easy to turn the fortunes around at LC-M overnight. Bear fans, you need to be patient.

You have a football program that has not won a game since Sept.14, 2007 when Houston Kashmere rolled into Battlin’ Bear Stadium. LC-M has lost 15 straight games and plays in a highly-competitive District 20-4A.

Coach Crouch has plenty of work ethic. So, that means that the LC-M football participants better find some in a hurry.

Guys, Coach Crouch isn’t going to pick favorites before he dons a green and gold whistle.

He isn’t going to go on who looks good in a uniform and who doesn’t.

He’s going to go on blood, sweat and tears. The “country club†practices look like they’re over. Believe me I know, I’ve seen WO-S, Orangefield, Bridge City and Vidor practices.

That means when I hit the LC-M track to get in a little exercise this summer, I would love to see some boys in that fine weightroom facility you guys have over there, The last few years, I’ve seen more Lady Bear volleyball and softball players in the weightroom and track than I have football players. You fellas need to get after it in June, July and early August. The mentality has to change.

Guys, put down you’re cell phones, your X-boxes and park your Mustangs and other hot rods. If you’re serious about coming together as a program, it’s going to take a 100 percent effort.

Coach Crouch is a proven winner and he will push you all to the limit. He’s the type of coach that isn’t afraid to chew on you a bit but he’ll be one of the first ones to pat you on the back for a job well done. He’s an excellent Xs and Os coach but he’s also the type that will teach you just as much about life as well, much like David Williams did for over 30 years in the business.

There is already a good staff at LC-M as well.

Coach Troy Bolton, who would be a darn good head football coach as well, is there. Mark Parsons and Jonathan Friend are there as well. And who knows who might be aboard later, stay tuned.

Then there is Mrs. Dawanna Crouch.

Batten down the hatch Dawanna and get ready to enjoy even more film study in the old DVD player. The Bear athletic program is getting a heckuva First Lady as well.

Bottom line is Mrs. Hargrove made an excellent recommendation.

She’s a quality person and so is Coach Crouch.

A shout-out to the LC-M district is much-deserved for keeping the media informed about the whole process, from putting out the coaching list to coming up with the community forum.

Now the LC-M Board of Trustees will now need to complete the process with a touchdown in the back of the end zone come Monday night at the board meeting.

It might be a touchdown pass that is about four years overdue but it still counts as six.

Tremendous article.  I think that if this community wants a winner, we will get behind this guy that will challenge these kids to perform at thier best.  Our community needs to stand behind him and make him feel welcome, because we should feel honored to have such a solid role model and leader for the kids.

This is the hidden content, please

Crouch may not be the only coach leaving WOS.  Mike Pierce is moving to the Katy area, Ed Dyer is rumored to be going with Crouch to LCM, and Kevin Goodwin is a finalist for another position.

All the coaches leaving is a compliment to Coach Hooks.Thats the hard thing about a good coach like Hooks. A good coach always tries to but the best supporting cast he can around him and they get noticed and deservingly move on. Also a good learning oppurtunity for working under coaches Like Coach Hooks. Working for any coach of his level is a stepping stone.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami