What Will It Take To Improve Basketball @ Hamshire Fannett?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stevenash

One of the first things that would need to be done would be to eliminate the universal offseason program which basically means that basketball players have their own off season programs to go through instead of forcing them to join with the football players.

A cultural change. What I mean by that is, more emphasis at the grade school levels. I just don't see the passion for that sport there in HF. You have to start from the ground up. Otherwise, you may experience a year here and there that you have success, but nothing to really build on.

--Good Little Dribblers Program

--Good Junior High Program

--Good Junior High Coach

--Good High School Coach

--High School Coach that get's involved with the Junior High Program

--BB players that do not play Football get to play BB year around.

--BB players that play football get to go to BB as soon as football is over and  without having to do football offseason during basketball season.

All of these will lead to better basketball without any better athletes or players coming in.

One of the first things that would need to be done would be to eliminate the universal offseason program which basically means that basketball players have their own off season programs to go through instead of forcing them to join with the football players.

I think there should be a separate thread for universal offseason, because thats a good topic you just brought up.  OF has gotten a lot better in basketball in recent years, and unfortunately they still have the dreaded universal offseason.  The bottom line is, despite how much the school supports your program, you have to do the work outside of school.  You need a talented group of kids that are willing to put in some work outside school.  You need to play basketball almost year around, playing in summer and fall leagues and tournaments, so you can continually get better throughout the year.  

Okay, I know some people are gonna get upset because I'm putting it out but the truth must be exposed. But, what is it going to take to get a basketball power at Hamshire Fannett?

A 6' 8" post - a 6' 5" forward with a smooth jump shot - a 6' 2" ball handler and 9 more guys that can play defense and we will have our power house.

Guest nostradamus

Once upon a time, less than 10 years ago (when Parr and Keener were the coaches) HF was a regular visitor to the playoffs.  While every HS goes through ups and downs in talent and athletic levels there is something to be said for the schools that seem to perform well year in and year out.  How can some schools perform well year in and year out despite dips in athletic talent?  I think the answer has several parts.

1)  If a sport is not stressed as much as another sport then it hurts that sport.  If the attitude and support for a sport is not the same as it is for another sport then said sport will suffer.

2)  Good feeder programs are always a must.  HF has a long standing little dribblers program.  It has been around for over 25 years so, that is not the issue.

3)  Anyone that says universal off-season doesn't hurt other sports is out of their mind.  There are some schools that will be able to compete and make the playoffs despite universal off-season because of superior athletes.  What happens though when those "special athletes" graduate?  Universal off-season does not initially hurt a program but, it hurts the under levels which in turn eventually hurts a program.  If a basketball coach is only allowed to work with his varsity basketball players during the athletic period during the season while his 9th graders and JV players go to a "universal off-season workout" everyday (except game days because that is against UIL rules: though it still happens) then those underlevel kids miss out on 3 hours a week of basketball skill work with their coach.  3 hours per week times 4 weeks a month times a 4 month season equals FORTY EIGHT HOURS of skill time that young kids miss out on with their basketball coach.  See if that doesn't catch up with a program.  I believe that kids should lift weights and I believe that lifting is essential for basketball.  It helps prevent injuries and increases your staying power over the course of a long season.  However, why would the Head Football Coach/AD feel compelled to determine how and when basketball players on ANY level should lift during basketball season??  Isn't that what the head basketball coach was hired for??  To determine what workouts are best during basketball season for basketball players?  Kids need to lift and they need to do it year around but, the sport that is in-season (especially in small schools where everyone plays everything) should determine what type of lifting is best and when the lifting should be done. 

Once upon a time, less than 10 years ago (when Parr and Keener were the coaches) HF was a regular visitor to the playoffs.  While every HS goes through ups and downs in talent and athletic levels there is something to be said for the schools that seem to perform well year in and year out.  How can some schools perform well year in and year out despite dips in athletic talent?  I think the answer has several parts.

1)  If a sport is not stressed as much as another sport then it hurts that sport.  If the attitude and support for a sport is not the same as it is for another sport then said sport will suffer.

2)  Good feeder programs are always a must.  HF has a long standing little dribblers program.  It has been around for over 25 years so, that is not the issue.

3)  Anyone that says universal off-season doesn't hurt other sports is out of their mind.  There are some schools that will be able to compete and make the playoffs despite universal off-season because of superior athletes.  What happens though when those "special athletes" graduate?  Universal off-season does not initially hurt a program but, it hurts the under levels which in turn eventually hurts a program.  If a basketball coach is only allowed to work with his varsity basketball players during the athletic period during the season while his 9th graders and JV players go to a "universal off-season workout" everyday (except game days because that is against UIL rules: though it still happens) then those underlevel kids miss out on 3 hours a week of basketball skill work with their coach.  3 hours per week times 4 weeks a month times a 4 month season equals FORTY EIGHT HOURS of skill time that young kids miss out on with their basketball coach.  See if that doesn't catch up with a program.  I believe that kids should lift weights and I believe that lifting is essential for basketball.  It helps prevent injuries and increases your staying power over the course of a long season.  However, why would the Head Football Coach/AD feel compelled to determine how and when basketball players on ANY level should lift during basketball season??  Isn't that what the head basketball coach was hired for??  To determine what workouts are best during basketball season for basketball players?  Kids need to lift and they need to do it year around but, the sport that is in-season (especially in small schools where everyone plays everything) should determine what type of lifting is best and when the lifting should be done. 

You know, Nos, I am starting to get the idea that you coach for a living. ;) ;D

Guest stevenash

You are right about Nostradomus being a coach.  His little dribblers team is having a decent season and it ends this weekend.  After that, I am sure he will be willing to reveal more of his coaching insights.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    xyurnnsw
    Newest Member
    xyurnnsw