Concerned WO-S Parents To Gather Over Bus Decision Tue!

WO-C board will review busing for athletes

By MARGARET TOAL

January, 19, 2009

A citizens group is expected to appear before the West Orange-Cove school board Tuesday night to ask the district to reinstate after-school busing for middle school and high school athletes.

The board has scheduled a special meeting at 6 p.m. in the administration building, 505 N. 15th St. in Orange.

In addition, the board will discuss making students pass TAKS exams in order to participate in extracurricular activities like sports, band and drama.

Skip Moore has helped organize the West Orange-Stark Athletic Association to try to get the board to reverse its November decision to cut out the special busing. The district has provided bus rides home to many middle school and high school athletes after practices and games beginning in 1977 when Lutcher Stark and West Orange high schools combined, said WO-C Athletic Director Dan Hooks.

The board voted to cut out the busing service to save money and it stopped when the spring semester started in January.

Moore said he and others in the district are concerned for the safety of students having to walk long distances home in the dark.

The title of the article says it all.  It should state WOC Board to review bussing for Extra Curricular Activities not just athletes.  It has to be in place for all activities or none.  If it is not didtrict policy to bus for all activities then it should come down to if athletics wants to use part of it's budget to do so.

Using your thought process, the media is the gospel truth. Did it ever enter your mind that they either used that to get a reaction or interest or that they just don't know what they are talking about? It's not just athletes that are bussed for the 1000th time.

They need to add a "Repeat Post" on this thing so you don't have to type the same thing 1000 times!  ;D

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WO-C board will review busing for athletes

By MARGARET TOAL

January, 19, 2009

A citizens group is expected to appear before the West Orange-Cove school board Tuesday night to ask the district to reinstate after-school busing for middle school and high school athletes.

The board has scheduled a special meeting at 6 p.m. in the administration building, 505 N. 15th St. in Orange.

In addition, the board will discuss making students pass TAKS exams in order to participate in extracurricular activities like sports, band and drama.

Skip Moore has helped organize the West Orange-Stark Athletic Association to try to get the board to reverse its November decision to cut out the special busing. The district has provided bus rides home to many middle school and high school athletes after practices and games beginning in 1977 when Lutcher Stark and West Orange high schools combined, said WO-C Athletic Director Dan Hooks.

The board voted to cut out the busing service to save money and it stopped when the spring semester started in January.

Moore said he and others in the district are concerned for the safety of students having to walk long distances home in the dark.

The title of the article says it all.  It should state WOC Board to review bussing for Extra Curricular Activities not just athletes.  It has to be in place for all activities or none.  If it is not didtrict policy to bus for all activities then it should come down to if athletics wants to use part of it's budget to do so.

Using your thought process, the media is the gospel truth. Did it ever enter your mind that they either used that to get a reaction or interest or that they just don't know what they are talking about? It's not just athletes that are bussed for the 1000th time.

They need to add a "Repeat Post" on this thing so you don't have to type the same thing 1000 times!   ;D

I know! So what time do you want me to pick you up?

I have a prediction, the talent and enrollment of LCM is fixing to go WAY up!!

They don't bus over there either.

I was not intending that statement as a result of the busing, but as a result of the taks issue!  I GAURANTEE you can't find five school districts in the entire state that have this requirement! 

I don't think you can find one. Someone looked into it and unless they are wrong it's unconstitutional.

The TAKS issue is a diversionary tactic!   ;D  By the time the meeting is over tonight the people will be SO relieved that the board "gave in" and didn't set the new TAKS issue into place that they won't be as concerned about the buses not running!   ;D 

Slam, why don't I come pick you up and you can help us support the buses. I promise you the TAKS issue is a non issue.  Then I will come help you protest the new coach if you don't like him!  ;D Don't forget I attended my first LCM football game last year. On the home side that is.  ;)

Thanks for the offer td.  I would love to sit quietly in the back of the room to take in this meeting, but I unfortunately will not be able to attend.  Basketball season is heating up and I'll be glued to the gym all night tonight watching my daughters.  The game should be over in time for me to swing by and bail you out of jail if things turn sour at the meeting.  ;D

Good luck to all the concerned WOS citizens at tonights meeting.   

Your good guy TD. Your offering rides to the meeting.

Next thing you know, you'll be treating everyone to hotdogs. lol

And if they turn down the bussing you could pull out that $100,000 bill out of your wallet as an offering for the bussing cost ;D ;D ;D

I have a prediction, the talent and enrollment of LCM is fixing to go WAY up!!

They don't bus over there either.

I was not intending that statement as a result of the busing, but as a result of the taks issue!  I GAURANTEE you can't find five school districts in the entire state that have this requirement! 

I don't think you can find one. Someone looked into it and unless they are wrong it's unconstitutional.

The TAKS issue is a diversionary tactic!   ;D  By the time the meeting is over tonight the people will be SO relieved that the board "gave in" and didn't set the new TAKS issue into place that they won't be as concerned about the buses not running!   ;D 

Slam, why don't I come pick you up and you can help us support the buses. I promise you the TAKS issue is a non issue.  Then I will come help you protest the new coach if you don't like him!  ;D Don't forget I attended my first LCM football game last year. On the home side that is.  ;)

Thanks for the offer td.  I would love to sit quietly in the back of the room to take in this meeting, but I unfortunately will not be able to attend.  Basketball season is heating up and I'll be glued to the gym all night tonight watching my daughters.  The game should be over in time for me to swing by and bail you out of jail if things turn sour at the meeting.   ;D

Good luck to all the concerned WOS citizens at tonights meeting.   

Is that a standing offer or just for the school board meeting tonight?  ;)

Your good guy TD. Your offering rides to the meeting.

Next thing you know, you'll be treating everyone to hotdogs. lol

And if they turn down the bussing you could pull out that $100,000 bill out of your wallet as an offering for the bussing cost ;D ;D ;D

I'm just a winning lottery ticket away from making it happen. You mean that bill that has Woodrow Wilson on it?  ;D

There better be more than six people for me to feed. A man only has so many hotdogs to offer.

What does WOS need  a football team for.  Lamar proved that a school does not need a football team.

There are schools of AA and AAA that only have basketball and baseball. Lufkin Central comes to mind and they have a heck of an academic program, and they are generally competitive in athletics.

What does WOS need  a football team for.  Lamar proved that a school does not need a football team.

Go ahead and get rid of football at WOS and watch how many of your students($$$$$$$$) end up at LCM. That may be what would close the door at WOS.

LCM does'nt provide after game busing so why would they be better off there?

well heck thay should keep the kids off the streets so late at night and from what i can see in the parking lot hrs before the games most all  NOT ALL have cars .77 not trying to be a smart ass about this its just what i see .alot of kids in west orange are not blessed with this gift

The major problem that you are facing is the fact that you want want want but do not want to pay more to get it. WOC is having financial issue and they have to make cuts... Athletics and transportation to and from practices are not required of academic institutions... If you do not want to lose this service the citizens must pay for it... IE raise taxes to overcome that 2 million dollar deficit... PUT UP OR SHUT UP..

well heck thay should keep the kids off the streets so late at night and from what i can see in the parking lot hrs before the games most all  NOT ALL have cars .77 not trying to be a smart butt about this its just what i see .alot of kids in west orange are not blessed with this gift

My point was the fact that if they cant play at WOS without a ride home how would they be able to at LCM. (not trying to be ugly just asking)

The major problem that you are facing is the fact that you want want want but do not want to pay more to get it. WOC is having financial issue and they have to make cuts... Athletics and transportation to and from practices are not required of academic institutions... If you do not want to lose this service the citizens must pay for it... IE raise taxes to overcome that 2 million dollar deficit... PUT UP OR SHUT UP..

No need to post the same thing twice. Surely you have something more to add. If not then you have already put up so....................  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83