Predictions For 20-4A This Year?

X

Who do you think will be the #1 team in 20-4A?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who do you think will be the #1 team in 20-4A?

• Central
    • Livingston
    • Vidor
    • Nederland
    • LCM
    • PNG
    • Ozen
    • Lumberton

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that's a big deal!!

Last season, we had some games where we never threw over 5 to 6 times. (Can't say all of them because I couldn't make them all due to my job.) While I would like to see more of an air attack, Mathews is going to stick to a bruising ground game and big guys opening holes. Whoever is placed in the QB slot will probably face the same amount of throws Teinert did.

I would say a bigger deal would be if we didn't have a strong tailback coming back in '09. With Pittman back we should be able to function. We have never been a strong passing team so I guess I view it a little differently. For instance, the year that Roman Franklin was the QB/Kicker/Punter/Water Boy/Tackeling Dummy/etc... I would have rather us have snapped it directly to the tailback. (Don't get me wrong, Franklin was a good kid that was tough and durable for a lot of punishment, but he wasn't going to get any second looks as a QB.)

As long as whoever comes in to play QB is able to make enough throws to open the running game, then Mathews will stick with the offense he has in place.

Just a quick look at the state championship games would show me how important throwing the ball is in 4A.

Dayton

Sulphur Springs

Lake Travis

Longview

Even if we did become a passing team, we don't have the speed to compete with the fast corners and receivers like Central and Ozen have.

Call me what you like, my fellow Vidor fans included, but I am a realist. I think we have a potential to make the playoffs and a slim possibility of a district championship down the road. But I don't see us ever in the state championship, as the playoffs are where the faster teams from around the state end up.

Just a quick look at the state championship games would show me how important throwing the ball is in 4A.

Dayton

Sulphur Springs

Lake Travis

Longview

Even if we did become a passing team, we don't have the speed to compete with the fast corners and receivers like Central and Ozen have.

Call me what you like, my fellow Vidor fans included, but I am a realist. I think we have a potential to make the playoffs and a slim possibility of a district championship down the road. But I don't see us ever in the state championship, as the playoffs are where the faster teams from around the state end up.

These days that definitely seems true. For a team with Vidor's speed to advance that far I feel like they have to execute PERFECTLY... offense, defense, and special teams.

kinda interesting note on special teams... IMO sulphur springs all but put the game away when they recovered the onside kick in the 3rd quarter.

I see 20-4a like this... in no particular order

Central

Vidor

Nederland

Livingston or Lumberton

Dayton

Sulphur Springs

Lake Travis

Longview

You never know...Kerrville Tivy did not have much speed, they just had football players.  Problem for teams that run the ball 60 times per game is that they've got no chance if they get behind.  Speed helps but straightline 40 speed is over-rated in the game of football.

• 4 weeks later...

And that's a big deal!!

Last season, we had some games where we never threw over 5 to 6 times. (Can't say all of them because I couldn't make them all due to my job.) While I would like to see more of an air attack, Mathews is going to stick to a bruising ground game and big guys opening holes. Whoever is placed in the QB slot will probably face the same amount of throws Teinert did.

I would say a bigger deal would be if we didn't have a strong tailback coming back in '09. With Pittman back we should be able to function. We have never been a strong passing team so I guess I view it a little differently. For instance, the year that Roman Franklin was the QB/Kicker/Punter/Water Boy/Tackeling Dummy/etc... I would have rather us have snapped it directly to the tailback. (Don't get me wrong, Franklin was a good kid that was tough and durable for a lot of punishment, but he wasn't going to get any second looks as a QB.)

As long as whoever comes in to play QB is able to make enough throws to open the running game, then Mathews will stick with the offense he has in place.

Stick with the offense Mathews has in place?  What offense?

Dayton

Sulphur Springs

Lake Travis

Longview

First off RustedCutlass, I am a realist as well.  Vidor will NEVER become a passing team.  Vidor does not develop passing QB's at the junior high level and therefore will never have a throwing QB.  With the offense that Vidor attempts to run, all of the athletes prefer not to play QB.  I can think of only one QB that was developed in the past 8 years. Second, you do not need to have speed to match up against Central, Ozen or any other team.  Team speed does not win football games.  Next, Vidor possibly will make the playoffs only because there is now four playoff spots.  Hell, why don't we just take all the teams from each district and let them all in. The odds are just in their favor compared to three.  This rule change was the best thing that could have happened to Mathews.  It's a shame that he can win 3-4 games games a year and keep his job.  If my productivity level at my job was at 30 to 40 percent, I would be fired.  I'm just glad we aren't playing Gulf Shores Academy any longer.  Vidor will NEVER win a state championship.  Coaching wins championships.

Dayton

Sulphur Springs

Lake Travis

Longview

First off RustedCutlass, I am a realist as well.  Vidor will NEVER become a passing team.  Vidor does not develop passing QB's at the junior high level and therefore will never have a throwing QB.  With the offense that Vidor attempts to run, all of the athletes prefer not to play QB.  I can think of only one QB that was developed in the past 8 years. Second, you do not need to have speed to match up against Central, Ozen or any other team.  Team speed does not win football games.  Next, Vidor possibly will make the playoffs only because there is now four playoff spots.  heck, why don't we just take all the teams from each district and let them all in. The odds are just in their favor compared to three.  This rule change was the best thing that could have happened to Mathews.  It's a shame that he can win 3-4 games games a year and keep his job.  If my productivity level at my job was at 30 to 40 percent, I would be fired.  I'm just glad we aren't playing Gulf Shores Academy any longer.  Vidor will NEVER win a state championship.  Coaching wins championships.

I have a new name for the Vidor O, they should be called the Energizer Bunny Offense. The reason, when L-Town played them, what I saw was an entirely renergized team when they came out after half time. Lumberton didn't play their best game but Vidor came out so strong, I'm not sure we'd have stayed with the Pirates anyhow. the only thing I could figure was their Gatorade was Red Bull instead.  :D

But a wrong coach can ruin expectations.  Ozen has talent but can't seem to get the coaching situation right.

The coaching change in this district will mean nothing.  We still have high expectations for the Jags, and expect to compete for the district title!

My new prediction will be based on consistency and the players knowing ahead of time what their coach expects:

1. Lumberton

2. Livingston ( Lumberton has started the strongest the last two years)

3. Vidor

4. Nederland

There will be two X-factors out of three new coaches of course being PNG and Central. LCM I don't think has any standout players although with the right coach, who knows and Ozen because they no longer have their pick of players won't be a real factor until the coach can convince some young men to stay in that school

Offensive concerns are important.  But those teams that can't play defense will not be there.  But allowing 4 teams to the playoffs will mask this in the short term. But those teams will get weeded out early in the playoffs.

Dayton

Sulphur Springs

Lake Travis

Longview

First off RustedCutlass, I am a realist as well.  Vidor will NEVER become a passing team.  Vidor does not develop passing QB's at the junior high level and therefore will never have a throwing QB.  With the offense that Vidor attempts to run, all of the athletes prefer not to play QB.  I can think of only one QB that was developed in the past 8 years. Second, you do not need to have speed to match up against Central, Ozen or any other team.  Team speed does not win football games.  Next, Vidor possibly will make the playoffs only because there is now four playoff spots.  heck, why don't we just take all the teams from each district and let them all in. The odds are just in their favor compared to three.  This rule change was the best thing that could have happened to Mathews.  It's a shame that he can win 3-4 games games a year and keep his job.  If my productivity level at my job was at 30 to 40 percent, I would be fired.  I'm just glad we aren't playing Gulf Shores Academy any longer.  Vidor will NEVER win a state championship.  Coaching wins championships.

I have a new name for the Vidor O, they should be called the Energizer Bunny Offense. The reason, when L-Town played them, what I saw was an entirely renergized team when they came out after half time. Lumberton didn't play their best game but Vidor came out so strong, I'm not sure we'd have stayed with the Pirates anyhow. the only thing I could figure was their Gatorade was Red Bull instead.  :D

But a wrong coach can ruin expectations.  Ozen has talent but can't seem to get the coaching situation right.

The coaching change in this district will mean nothing.  We still have high expectations for the Jags, and expect to compete for the district title!

our 2004 team's record was 1-9.  Stowers came in and won the district championship in 2005, mostly on talent.  Next year, there will be no shortage on talent.  BTW, don't ever compare us to Ozen!!!   ;D ;D

My new prediction will be based on consistency and the players knowing ahead of time what their coach expects:

1. Lumberton

3. Vidor

4. Nederland

There will be two X-factors out of three new coaches of course being PNG and Central. LCM I don't think has any standout players although with the right coach, who knows and Ozen because they no longer have their pick of players won't be a real factor until the coach can convince some young men to stay in that school

1.) Lumberton

2.) Nederland

3.) Central

4.) Livingston

5.) Vidor

6.) Port Neches-Groves

7.) Ozen

8.) Little Cypress-Mauriceville

I hear ya!  ;D  I was just comparing talent level.

our 2004 team's record was 1-9.  Stowers came in and won the district championship in 2005, mostly on talent.  Next year, there will be no shortage on talent.  BTW, don't ever compare us to Ozen!!!   ;D ;D

This might be true if they allow 5 teams next year. 

1. Lumberton

3. Vidor

4. Nederland

1.) Lumberton

2.) Nederland

3.) Central

4.) Livingston

5.) Vidor

6.) Port Neches-Groves

7.) Ozen

8.) Little Cypress-Mauriceville

I predict Rodney Saveat will pick a coach that will keep our ship a float. We will be in the thick of things. We won't be as bad as people may predict. Look out for these Jags they'll have something to prove. A year a go with Stowers at the helm we fell off. This year we regrouped. The core of kids that went to the fourth round, at majority are back. We lost a few kids but believe me, we will be excited to watch on offense this year. QB position will be quality at it's finest. Jags will emulate the Suggs and Stowers years.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raza012
    Newest Member
    Raza012