Ed Garriet and Skip Jackson is the best backcourt to come out of beaumont

bacbone9

those two guys were leaders on the floor. Jackson's ball handling and mid range jumper was on point. Ed Garriet was the best shooter to ever come through Central. Everybody knew he was going to shoot the 3 ball but couldnt stop it. He also played some PG when jackson went down with a ankle injury. Yeah they went to state on a lucky shot,but look at what they did to get there. what do you guys think. We not looking at their indiviual games but as a combo

Guest DickVitale

NO WAY!! They were not even the best to come out of Central!!! That would HAVE to be Ron Jackson and Damon Sweet...You must be Doobie's cousin or something!! ;)

NO WAY!! They were not even the best to come out of Central!!! That would HAVE to be Ron Jackson and Damon Sweet...You must be Doobie's cousin or something!! ;)

no im not his cousin but i saw damon and ron play and i saw ed and skip play. no question that Sweet was the best player to come out of Central but together they brought there team further than any team in school history.  how far did that team with Sweet and Jackson go?

Guest DickVitale

They made it to what would have been the regionals, because back then there was no regional tournament...Skip and Doobie were very good together...Gave teams fits, but there were other backcourts in Beaumont throughout the years that were better....Skip and Doobie WERE top 10 all time in Beaumont, but not THE best.

They made it to what would have been the regionals, because back then there was no regional tournament...Skip and Doobie were very good together...Gave teams fits, but there were other backcourts in Beaumont throughout the years that were better....Skip and Doobie WERE top 10 all time in Beaumont, but not THE best.

okay they didnt have a regional tournament so therefore it was harder for skip and ed to go to state. if they wasnt the best then tell me who worked better together than those to guys

What about Albert Marshall (ppg 16, apg 3, spg 2).and Mike Thomas ( ppg 9, apg 10, spg 3) OZEN 2001 State Champions. They went 36-0 and finished # 17th in the nation. Nobody in Beaumont history compares to that.

Guest DickVitale

What about Albert Marshall (ppg 16, apg 3, spg 2).and Mike Thomas ( ppg 9, apg 10, spg 3) OZEN 2001 State Champions. They went 36-0 and finished # 17th in the nation. Nobody in Beaumont history compares to that.

Great backcourt duo, but the argument will be, "They had Kendrick Perkins and Keena Young" although they were just 10th graders that year...I don't think we could have won state without those two....Honestly.

okay they didnt have a regional tournament so therefore it was harder for skip and ed to go to state. if they wasnt the best then tell me who worked better together than those to guys

There were several that were better, Mike Thomas and Albert Marshall were better AND have a undefeated title to show for it.  Westbrook had a couple that were better too, with Aljay Foreman and Luke Jackson in 1991, also Clyde McCulley and Paris Corner in 1997 were a better tandem..Dont get me wrong, Skip and Doobie were the truth, just not THE BEST.

Remember for two more years Kendrick and Keena didn't win a State Championship. Those two players (Albert Marshall and Michael Thomas) are the most over looked players in the history of this are.

Remember for two more years Kendrick and Keena didn't win a State Championship. Those two players (Albert Marshall and Michael Thomas) are the most over looked players in the history of this are.

so you telling me you think those two were better than skip and doobie..you got to be kidding me.

name a back court that did more for there team and got far as they did without a true post scorer

okay..well take perk ans keena and put them on that Central team wit ed and skip. complete blowout. skip and ed scored 90% of centrals points

Great backcourt duo, but the argument will be, "They had Kendrick Perkins and Keena Young" although they were just 10th graders that year...I don't think we could have won state without those two....Honestly.

There were several that were better, Mike Thomas and Albert Marshall were better AND have a undefeated title to show for it.  Westbrook had a couple that were better too, with Aljay Foreman and Luke Jackson in 1991, also Clyde McCulley and Paris Corner in 1997 were a better tandem..Dont get me wrong, Skip and Doobie were the truth, just not THE BEST.

albert marshall and mike thomas cant hold ed and skip's jock strap. you mean perkins and young have a title to show for it. without those two that ozen team dont even get outta regionals. clyde mcCulley and paris corner was great but last time i checked didnt central beat west brook in 97 with ed and skip in the backcourt both games

Guest DickVitale

Slow down dude! You have like ten different posts going on here...You are talking about BACKCOURTS not teams...Paris and Clyde were better than Skip and Doobie...Ronnie Davis was not a true post? WOW, more excuses... ::)..Mike T and Al B have state rings...Doobie and Skip have press clippings..THE END

I'm not saying that Ed Garriet and Skip Jackson aren’t great players but they also had a 6'9 Ronnie Davis (Pro Ball China) and Big Riley who went to NBA (Utah Jazz). Albert Marshall (10th) and Mike Thomas (10th) went head to head with Skip (12th) and Ed Garriet (12th) in 1998 at the McDonalds Gym and almost beat them as tenth graders. They lost the game by 8 points. Perk only averaged 16 ppg that year and Keena Young only 11 ppg that year. Give credit when its do.

Albert Marshall 1st team all district, 1st team all region, and 2nd Team all state

Mike Thomas 1st team all district, 2nd team all region, and honorable mention all state

If you ever see Skip and Garriet again ask them what happen when they played against Mike and Albert their Senior of high school year after they came back from College. It was a blow out.

It's all about the RING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you ever see Skip and Garriet again ask them what happen when they played against Mike and Albert their Senior of high school year after they came back from College. It was a blow out.

It's all about the RING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wellmike and albert better thank perk and keena for those rings. AND WAIT...you talkig bout albert and mike. how could you forget about TONY MARSHALL. he was the x-factor for that team.so if you were to put just mike t and albert against ed and skip it would be a slaughter.not teams just backcourts is what wetalking bout

You call that stats. lmao... if you take mike thomas and albert marshall off that team they still win state. you must be forgetting bout tigee rideaux,tony marshall, and jason dabney huh. edward garriet(26 ppg 8 rebs 4 ast) and skip jackson (20 ppg 8 ast). those are real stats. now if you take those 2 players from Central that team dont even make the play offs.

I'm not saying that Ed Garriet and Skip Jackson aren’t great players but they also had a 6'9 Ronnie Davis (Pro Ball China) and Big Riley who went to NBA (Utah Jazz). Albert Marshall (10th) and Mike Thomas (10th) went head to head with Skip (12th) and Ed Garriet (12th) in 1998 at the McDonalds Gym and almost beat them as tenth graders. They lost the game by 8 points. Perk only averaged 16 ppg that year and Keena Young only 11 ppg that year. Give credit when its do.

Albert Marshall 1st team all district, 1st team all region, and 2nd Team all state

Mike Thomas 1st team all district, 2nd team all region, and honorable mention all state

actually they won by 14 and that was the third time they had played central that year. boutte's a great coach so of course he was going to have a better game plan. what happen in the ymbl when they lost by 28 and doobie and skip combined for 51 points.you can say what you want about them being tenth graders. what about when ed  and skip was tenth grader and west brook had paris and clyde. ed and skip won that game to and led central in scoring that game.

First of all, Tony Marshall was in middle school at that time. Albert is his older brother. The second time they played at the McDonalds gym they lost by 8 go check the stats on that game. You can say what you want but Kendrick and keena didn't win another championship either. So Perk and Keena need to thank them guys for a high school ring.

. The 99 Central team also had Dominique Young, Roderick Franklin and Shayne. All of these guys averaged double figures.Ozen has been to the state championship game 4 times only winning 1 title. Perk and Keena was there for 3 out of the 4 state appearance but only won 1 championship and what was the common denominator, Mike and Albert.

I'm not saying that Mike Thomas and Albert Marshall are better individually but together they are and they did more for their team. As individual players Skip and Garriet are probably better but this is a team game.

First of all, Tony Marshall was in middle school at that time. Albert is his older brother. The second time they played at the McDonalds gym they lost by 8 go check the stats on that game. You can say what you want but Kendrick and keena didn't win another championship either. So Perk and Keena need to thank them guys for a high school ring.

. The 99 Central team also had Dominique Young, Roderick Franklin and Shayne. All of these guys averaged double figures.Ozen has been to the state championship game 4 times only winning 1 title. Perk and Keena was there for 3 out of the 4 state appearance but only won 1 championship and what was the common denominator, Mike and Albert.

I'm not saying that Mike Thomas and Albert Marshall are better individually but together they are and they did more for their team. As individual players Skip and Garriet are probably better but this is a team game.

once again you are so wrong. roderick,dominique and shane did not avg. no double figures. they were there to play defense. if you take those two off of that team they would still win state that year. there supporting cast was to good. tigee rideaux,brandon rideaux,jason dabney, jason breckenridge,brandon chappelle. that central team did not have no tigee rideaux...wiat..what about reggie tyrell and anthony daigle..hype man rayburn morris,tyrone haynes and desmond cooper. please man. any one of those dudes could of went to any other school and probably started. if mike thomas and albert marshall would not have been on that team javin clover and reggie tyrell would of filled those spot. imagine central without ed and skip. Ozen basically had a all star team

In High School Skip and Doubie were better than Albert and Mike hands down.  The carried a team of defensive stoppers, no other stars... Riley was just big in high school and he did not play many minutes until the playoffs when we played against BIG men...  Ronnie was good on D, Shane was a back-up plan that never worked, Rodrick was the corner trigger man with stopper ability...  Ozen had 2 D1 players and a NBA player above 6'6" to play with Mike and Albert... Ronnie was the only player above 6'6" on that started on central's team and nobody that started went D1 except skip and doubie...  Did Mike and Albert go D1... NO!  Now to the next issue...

Paris graduated in '06, skip and doubie never played against him... so you are wrong there...  And that  Brook team would have gave that central team fits, they had guards and bigs that year!!!  Sweet and Ron... Luke and Foreman were sweet and probably desearves that top spot too..  Paris and Clyde were top ten, and Mike and Albert are somewhere down the list of top 20!!!!  And that is because of the ring!  Truth be told Ozen could not have won (dickie will have something to say about this statement) a ring against that Duncanville team that went tri-fecta with Championships in football, basketball, and baseball that year!  Central's State run they played the #1 Milby (undefeated), #2 Duncanville (1 loss), #5 Humble (2 loss), #10 Dulles (6 loss), teams in the state 5A back-to-back for 4 games straight!  Ozen's run wasn't that difficult...

But the best back court in beaumont was a three headed monstar...  Golden Corner (should have been D1 but was a head case), Trey McDowel (D1), and Jeremy Long (D1)... Their only misfortune is that they did not have a coach...  Based on pure talent!  Ask any body who played against them and they know...

In High School Skip and Doubie were better than Albert and Mike hands down.  The carried a team of defensive stoppers, no other stars... Riley was just big in high school and he did not play many minutes until the playoffs when we played against BIG men...  Ronnie was good on D, Shane was a back-up plan that never worked, Rodrick was the corner trigger man with stopper ability...  Ozen had 2 D1 players and a NBA player above 6'6" to play with Mike and Albert... Ronnie was the only player above 6'6" on that started on central's team and nobody that started went D1 except skip and doubie...  Did Mike and Albert go D1... NO!  Now to the next issue...

Paris graduated in '06, skip and doubie never played against him... so you are wrong there...  And that  Brook team would have gave that central team fits, they had guards and bigs that year!!!  Sweet and Ron... Luke and Foreman were sweet and probably desearves that top spot too..  Paris and Clyde were top ten, and Mike and Albert are somewhere down the list of top 20!!!!  And that is because of the ring!  Truth be told Ozen could not have won (dickie will have something to say about this statement) a ring against that Duncanville team that went tri-fecta with Championships in football, basketball, and baseball that year!  Central's State run they played the #1 Milby (undefeated), #2 Duncanville (1 loss), #5 Humble (2 loss), #10 Dulles (6 loss), teams in the state 5A back-to-back for 4 games straight!  Ozen's run wasn't that difficult...

But the best back court in beaumont was a three headed monstar...  Golden Corner (should have been D1 but was a head case), Trey McDowel (D1), and Jeremy Long (D1)... Their only misfortune is that they did not have a coach...  Based on pure talent!  Ask any body who played against them and they know...

thank you shortexas for explaining that to him.

This is Mike T. from Ozen. Doobie and Skip were better than Albert and me. I personally learned a lot from Skip and Doobie. It do not matter who is better because both backcourts helped the teams win. I speak to Doobie all the time and he is the best shooter to come out of BMT and I played with skip when I was 7 years old.

As a point guard I think team first and then myself. That team was special and Albert and I needed every person on the roster to be successful. I was just a good role player with some great players and coaches.

I do believe that our team was the best team to come out of BMT. Out of 17 players 13 of us have college degrees and 4 playing pro B-Ball and Football. No team compares to that in BMT. That’s why that team was the best and so special. You measure a team’s greatness by their success on and off the floor.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder