Anthony Beard article on rivals (aggieyell)

WTB

Lumberton (Tex.) High School had gone 42 years without making the playoffs until a year ago. In fact, the Raiders had never been to the postseason in the entire history of the school's existence. They made a bang with their first appearance, though, making it three rounds deep and knocking off defending state champion La Marque along the way.

Middle linebacker Anthony Beard helped Lumberton end a 42-year playoff drought

Perhaps the main reason for the success of the 2007 squad was the defense. Inside linebacker Anthony Beard was only a sophomore, but made his presence felt, finishing with 109 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, two sacks and two fumble recoveries en route to earning first-team all-district honors. Despite the return of Beard and several other key players, Lumberton was not picked by many people to be a contender in 2008. They have defied expectations again and are off to a 4-1 start to the season.

"Everybody underestimated us again," said the 6-foot-2, 220-pound junior. "We're using it like a chip on our shoulder. We're going to make the playoffs again this year. That's all we're thinking right now. Hopefully then we can make an even longer run than last year. Right now, I have 50-something tackles through our first five games."

With the newfound team success on the field has come attention from colleges as they make their way to the Golden Triangle school to watch the defender in action.

"I'm getting a bunch of letters from a lot of schools," said Beard. "I've heard from Boston College and Penn State lately. I like the way Penn State plays. I've also been hearing from Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Arizona, Illinois, Virginia and some other schools. The local schools, too, like Texas, A&M and LSU."

Beard recently took in his first college game when he made the trip to College Station to watch Texas A&M take on Miami. He says he came away impressed with Aggieland.

"I went down to A&M to watch them play against Miami," he said. "I liked the fans and it was a really loud stadium. The atmosphere was really good for a big game. I could see myself there. I really have to check out the school a little bit more than I got to then. That's the only college game I've been to. I was going to go to a game at Tulane, but I didn't get a chance to do that."

However, while the Aggies made an impression that day, so did their opponent. Beard says that it put the Hurricanes on his radar as well.

"I liked Miami a lot," he said. "I like how they play and everything. They really impressed me. I know that they haven't been having the seasons lately that they're used to, but their defense just flies to the ball."

With over a year until Beard can sign his National-Letter-of-Intent, he says he is in no hurry to name a list of favorites. He plans to take in camps at a few schools next summer as well.

"I haven't really talked to that many coaches or anything yet," he said. "Major Applewhite from Texas gave me his card, but that's about it. I really have no idea what I want to do yet. I'll probably go to the camps from the schools near here like Texas, A&M, LSU, OSU and those."

my neph is being a little modest. last night i was there  after rivals called, and talked to ac about

mesc. stuff. this kid had letters from penn st, mich. st, boston ,kentucky,northwestern, lsu, texas,

tx tech, houston, kansas, tulane,osu,fsu,oregon,arizona, tx a&m  smu,tcu,virginia,                          ect. about 50 in all. hes been working hard,

so i hope his year round dedication pays off, u never know. im really pround of him. ;D ;D ;D ;D

his coaches are always around looking for their players making sure they preparing ac as well as

all the other kids from yr to yr. lhs coaches hear it every game about the fine job they r doing

I agree with LHS I am also Kin to this young man and it is funny because he is a very quite  modest young man. What most don't know he is prolly just as talented on the baseball field. What to go AC we are all proud of you, Davey loves to tell people that AC is his cousin so keep being a great roll model.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder