Beasley, Thomas proud to be No. 1

Beasley, Thomas proud to be No. 1

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

For the first time in their college careers, West Orange-Stark graduates Deon Beasley and Earl Thomas can say they are No. 1.

Beasley and Thomas man the secondary for the Texas Longhorns these days and after a thrilling 45-35 win over the Oklahoma Sooners, Texas was voted into the top spot in the Associated Press poll Sunday afternoon.

Thomas came up big for the Longhorns in the victory Saturday in Dallas with two interceptions in the redshirt freshman’s first ever Red River Rivalry, one was huge at the end of the first half and set up a key field goal.

“It all happened so fast,†Thomas said of the interception on Sunday. “I was in awe of the moment. I was very proud to be able to get a turnover for my team.â€

This has been quite the surprise year for the 2008 Longhorns who started the season at No. 10 in the AP poll.

Texas is a young team, especially in the secondary.

Soon after the season started the upsets began to shake up the polls, just as in 2007.

While other teams were falling, Texas was busy beating teams like Florida Atlantic, Rice and Arkansas.

The Longhorns then knocked off Colorado, 38-14, to set up a No. 5 vs. No. 1 showdown against the hated Sooners.

This was supposed to be the game bringing Texas back down to Earth and the one proving Oklahoma was the best team in all the land.

Didn’t Beasley get the message?

“It is amazing for us to beat those guys,†Beasley said on Monday. “They have great athletes all over the field. It is like Coach (Mack) Brown said, we were better that day. The main thing right now is our young guys are playing real big. It is quite impressive and it is unique.â€

Thomas, who was selected Defensive Player of the Game by Brown, reported never being nervous during the game yet he found sleeping Friday night quite a chore.

“Even though I have been in a few big games, that was the loudest stadium I have ever heard,†Thomas added. “I really wasn’t nervous because I had four games under my belt. I could barely sleep the night before because I was so antsy.

“Oklahoma is a great football team with great athletes. At first they caught me off guard because I really didn’t expect such a quick tempo. In the second half we made some adjustments, the game slowed down and it was smooth sailing from there.â€

Thomas learned of the Longhorns’ jump over Alabama into the top spot from a text message Sunday while at church.

“At the start of the season a lot of people were doubting us,†Thomas said. “It is a great accomplishment. I am happy we are starting to prove everyone wrong.â€

The fun for the Longhorns does not stop with Oklahoma, far from it.

Texas will play host to Missouri Saturday, another match up with a team loaded on offense.

Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel has thrown for 2,055 yards this year and has 16 touchdowns to just four interceptions.

Tigers receiver Jeremy Maclin is even getting some Heisman talk with his 39 receptions for 600 yards and five touchdowns.

“We know we have to play our best on Saturday,†Thomas said. “Our team looking ahead will or behind will not be an issue.â€

Beasley watches as much college football as anybody and has seen the upsets over the last few years.

“We are going to have to step things up a lot harder than normal now,†Beasley said. “It does not matter who is No. 1 after six games. It really only matters in January and when you hopefully reach a BCS bowl game. I could not even tell you who was No. 1 at this time last year but I can tell you LSU won the championship.

“Missouri is coming into the game with a chip on their shoulder. We have to play every snap like it is our last one of the season and stay focused. We all realize this is a very good football team. They have the capability to put points on the board in a hurry.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33