BC's Matt Hicks

Guest BCNatureBoy

I think this is just the begiining of this type of thing happening. He has been rumored to be leaving BC for Barbe since after his freshman year. I think with so many players playing on select teams and traveling all over the country instead of playing with their local teams it has opened the door for kids and families to do just these things. THIS is just the beginning.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Orangeboy

I think this is just the begiining of this type of thing happening. He has been rumored to be leaving BC for Barbe since after his freshman year. I think with so many players playing on select teams and traveling all over the country instead of playing with their local teams it has opened the door for kids and families to do just these things. THIS is just the beginning.

Hope your wrong here CJ, the best thing I see out of the Select ball is kids are playing the game. I do think we are losing a little from kids not playing with their teammates. I also want to wish Matt the best of luck, it has been an honor getting to work with such a great young man. He has set an example for the kids in BC to play the game the way it should be played. He will be greatly missed but trust me, BC has quality kids and some good young talent coming up.

You could be very right. When coaches like Barbe's get to coach local kids in the summer time, high school coaches and local communities better beware.  The setx connection over in Lake Charles seems to be growing stronger and stronger.

What you are talking about has gone on for years. Kids move to a school that is rich in tradition and winning to play and be recognized. It was happening to WOS in the 80's and 90's. I'm not saying that is what Matt is doing because I don't know.

I think this is just the beginning of this type of thing happening. He has been rumored to be leaving BC for Barbe since after his freshman year. I think with so many players playing on select teams and traveling all over the country instead of playing with their local teams it has opened the door for kids and families to do just these things. THIS is just the beginning.

What you are talking about has gone on for years. Kids move to a school that is rich in tradition and winning to play and be recognized. It was happening to WOS in the 80's and 90's. I'm not saying that is what Matt is doing because I don't know.

Yeah, we all know that no one gets recognized at BC???  It was a selfish move, unlike most of you posting, I heard the reasons for leaving strait from him and all of them were selfish!!!  What happend to team loyalty and home town pride????  His teammates that he has played with all his life depended on him and he dumped on them with two seasons to go because of better facilities and a coach giving him a line strait of of the used car salesmans handbook!!  Does Barbe actually think that they won't get investigated for recruiting him?  And when the investigation finds that they did, Matt won't be able to play anywhere. 

I think this is just the beginning of this type of thing happening. He has been rumored to be leaving BC for Barbe since after his freshman year. I think with so many players playing on select teams and traveling all over the country instead of playing with their local teams it has opened the door for kids and families to do just these things. THIS is just the beginning.

Yeah, we all know that no one gets recognized at BC???  It was a selfish move, unlike most of you posting, I heard the reasons for leaving strait from him and all of them were selfish!!!  What happend to team loyalty and home town pride????  His teammates that he has played with all his life depended on him and he dumped on them with two seasons to go because of better facilities and a coach giving him a line strait of of the used car salesmans handbook!!  Does Barbe actually think that they won't get investigated for recruiting him?  And when the investigation finds that they did, Matt won't be able to play anywhere. 

I disagree but that is just my opinion.

Hurricane Ike is what happened. If there had been no hurricane, I'm sure he would still be in BC. I see nothing selfish about this. His home was destroyed. Sometimes people have to decide what's best for themselves. That's part of life. I'm sure that someday I may have to make a move too. I guess that will be a selfish move on my part too. I'm sure this was an extremely difficult choice to make, so give him a break.

I am not going to sign on to the "selfish" argument, we are talking about a kid here.  But I will jump on the "used car salesman" argument.  I think you are wrong about the investigaiton, because it is in LA.  But I will say I wish there where one.  Something just smells funny.

Things have changed since my time. I would have never moved to another school. Of course I was at the best baseball school around (WOS). That being said, we also didn't have the instruction that our kids get. We didn't have the same opportunities for private lessons. We ran to center field and threw a couple of balls back and forth and were ready to play. Times have changed. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but my kids get lessons and they are 8 and 9. They work harder at that age than we ever even knew how to work. They are taught things that we just picked up from playing in the yard. They are learning proper technique and fundamentals. All of that being said, I would have never changed schools but I definitely will move my kids if it's necessary. I want them to have the best opportunity possible. Just my opinion.

First, I too wish Matt the best of luck with his future baseball endeavors. 

Second, I just don't get this move.  I read the newspaper quotes like everyone else but simply do not get it.  I understand that perhaps I am not supposed to get it, but I don't. 

It is a loss for baseball in SE Texas, a loss for BC and (when examined objectively) doesn't make sense.

I repeat:  maybe its not supposed to make sense to me.  Just one man's opinion...

Makes sense to me (jmo) good luck Matt. Tough to keep all your equip. in a tent.

Makes perfect sense to me.  Barbe is always rated top in the Nation.  Alot of publicity.  Good luck to you Matt.

DKR Clone,  You sound so angry and bitter, maybe you need to remember that "Team Loyalty" might have slipped a tad when BC top dogs got rid of a Coach that took his team to district several years in a row. BC baseball continues to have many talented kids playing and one player does  not win a season or district by himself. BC baseball will be just fine if left to the boys who know how to play and  hopefully without any more politics. I believe moving to a new area after a Hurricane destroyed your home is a freedom each of us has in America. Your idle threats about an "investigation" seems so petty and uncalled for. Why not vent those threats into supporting your BC Baseball team. I know personally that his mother can not afford to send him to the college of his dreams without a scholarship and if this move can better his chances for a full ride, then why not be happy for him. He is a 17 year old who lives and breathes baseball but also a caring and dedicated team player for whatever team he is on. Matty has played select ball for many coaches and players and those of us who really know him will continue to support and not threaten his future ball playing. It might be better for you to channel that bitterness into opening a dictionary and learning how to spell words correctly, "straight" is not spelled like George "Strait". I would think a BC high school teacher and coach should know better. Happy 17Th Birthday Matt. I love you, Matty's Aunt,Nannie Nett

Guys I havent been a Mod for long..But I can't let you sit back and question a 17 year old kids motives for leaving or call him names...His house just got damaged or maybe even totally destroyed.

If you want to wish him best wishes that's fine ,but please don't speak about recruiting or investigations or call the young man selfish or any other name.

Remember this is a young athlete who apparently works hard and he is going throuhg alot right now.He don't need to come on here and read this  garbage about him.

thanks

Thank you Piratefan,  Today is Matts birthday and yes, his mothers home along with Matts belongings and his beach cabin, even his favorite Astros golf cart were totally destroyed. Please give him a break and your support, just as he would give you. Thanks from his family.

Thank you Piratefan,  Today is Matts birthday and yes, his mothers home along with Matts belongings and his beach cabin, even his favorite Astros golf cart were totally destroyed. Please give him a break and your support, just as he would give you. Thanks from his family.

Your welcome.

Happy Birthday Matt and best of luck to you..

Ps. If Matty's Aunt ,Nannie Nett isn't happy, No ones happy.. ;D  Happy B-day Matt..

Happy Birthday Matt!!  ;D

I hate to think someone would have the nerve to call Matt Hicks selfish.  We have played several games against Matt and BC, (winning some and losing some) and he always seemed to be team player and showed Great Sportsmanship. Good Luck at Barbe!

Things have changed since my time. I would have never moved to another school. Of course I was at the best baseball school around (WOS). That being said we also didn't have the instruction that our kids get. We didn't have the same opportunities for private lessons. We ran to center field and threw a couple of balls back and forth and were ready to play. Times have changed. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but my kids get lessons and they are 8 and 9. They work harder at that age then we ever even knew how to work. They are taught things that we just picked up from playing in the yard. They are learning proper technique and fundamental. All of that being said, I would have never changed schools but I will definitely will move my kids. I want them to have the best opportunity possible. Just my opinion.

Lets start the recruiting early Coach Green would love to have them at Vidor. ;D

Things have changed since my time. I would have never moved to another school. Of course I was at the best baseball school around (WOS). That being said we also didn't have the instruction that our kids get. We didn't have the same opportunities for private lessons. We ran to center field and threw a couple of balls back and forth and were ready to play. Times have changed. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but my kids get lessons and they are 8 and 9. They work harder at that age then we ever even knew how to work. They are taught things that we just picked up from playing in the yard. They are learning proper technique and fundamental. All of that being said, I would have never changed schools but I will definitely will move my kids. I want them to have the best opportunity possible. Just my opinion.

Lets start the recruiting early Coach Green would love to have them at Vidor. ;D

Unfortunately I come with them. ;) So be careful what you wish for!  :o

Vidor needs no move ins. We are doing very well growing our own players. With the group we have coming back there wouldn't be anywhere for them to play anyway.

I guess we can chalk up a district championship for Vidor then. First of all he was joking about my kids that are 8 and 9. Second of all I can't imagine any team not having a place for kids to play if they are good. I guess Vidor wouldn't have had a spot for Matt Hicks!!!!!!!!!

Guest vpirate

Vidor needs no move ins. We are doing very well growing our own players. With the group we have coming back there wouldn't be anywhere for them to play anyway.

I guess we can chalk up a district championship for Vidor then. First of all he was joking about my kids that are 8 and 9. Second of all I can't imagine any team not having a place for kids to play if they are good. I guess Vidor wouldn't have had a spot for Matt Hicks!!!!!!!!!

Anyone would love to have Matt, including Vidor..  We welcome anyone to come and go to school here, play ball, or whatever.  Peoples lives have been changed for ever, baseball is the least of their worries.  Good luck to everyone in BC.  We wish you only the best...

Anyone would love to have Matt, including Vidor..  We welcome anyone to come and go to school here, play ball, or whatever.  Peoples lives have been changed for ever, baseball is the least of their worries.  Good luck to everyone in BC.  We wish you only the best...

That's more along the lines of what I would expect from the people I know in Vidor.

[/quote  I bet hes wishing he would not have posted now. Kinda of embarrising for him :D. I will be at the football game tomorrow may see you there. Take it easy on us