Man vrs. zone

man is good if you are facing a team with a bunch of good outside shooters, and feel that you can control their big men down low without double teaming too much.

the zone is more effective if you need to double down low, but you're guys really have to hustle to avoid allowing tons of wide open shots outside. 

both defenses have their strengths and weaknesses, so it's important to evaluate your opponents before you decide which to run.

Allow your personnel and their athletic prowess determine what you run. If you run zone exclusively,  consider the  Syracuse 2-3 because it will help cover up the three point shot, guard penetration and you can take away a good post. By focusing on one thing and maybe doing different things out of it, this will allow your players to perfect in practice rather than running 4 or 5 defenses  you don't have time to practice. A man defense is great but limit what you ask the players to do by coming up with a few solid principles. Good luck, but don't over coach (that's something that most coaches do) by falling into the notorious X & O trap.

Allow your personnel and their athletic prowess determine what you run. If you run zone exclusively,  consider the  Syracuse 2-3 because it will help cover up the three point shot, guard penetration and you can take away a good post. By focusing on one thing and maybe doing different things out of it, this will allow your players to perfect in practice rather than running 4 or 5 defenses  you don't have time to practice. A man defense is great but limit what you ask the players to do by coming up with a few solid principles. Good luck, but don't over coach (that's something that most coaches do) by falling into the notorious X & O trap.

I agree. Many coaches try to throw in to many plays and defenses. If you stick with one solid defense and change things little by little it will give your players a better chance of perfecting it.

In my opinion, defense is defense....

If run correctly, a man D should look like a zone....  hard denial one pass away and backside help away from ball....

Like wise, a zone D should have hard pressure near the ball with backside help....

Regardless, the team than can disguise what they are trying to do with a defense are the teams that are successful at it...

ex. take away the 3 pt shot.... deny penetration... deny the ball inside, etc...

You are talking about a point zone...hard to teach, but very effective.... 1-3-1 is aggressive enough for me and yet simple enough for them to understand. I have always felt the 2-3 is a lazy mans defense, unless you extend it to half court. But then it looks more like a 1-2-2... your call on it.

You are talking about a point zone...hard to teach, but very effective.... 1-3-1 is aggressive enough for me and yet simple enough for them to understand. I have always felt the 2-3 is a lazy mans defense, unless you extend it to half court. But then it looks more like a 1-2-2... your call on it.

I agree about 2-3...never liked it to much. Unless your players are really agressive with it its easy to break. A lot of the time I feel teams would be better off with a box 1 defense.

In the 1-2-2, a ball the goes into the corner will stretch the defense in to looking like a 2-3. Now I said that the 2-3 is a lazy defense. I love to run the 1-3-1 half court trap. That is not lazy.

Man, I use to play at the top on the 1-3-1- but it was more like a 3/4 for me. I was all alone on an island. Man, I would talk about the coach who called that defense but his son is the guru on the board. I use to hate that zone. I had to hustle too much. But darn it, when I played right, it worked like magic ;)

The 1-3-1 is great........a 1-4 low or high or a 5 out sometimes gives it fits.

That is when you set up like a 1-3-1 and use it as a point zone....basically a man zone. you could play X's and O's all day...Some thing can alway work against a certain defense. That is why it is good tyo set up something like a 1-3-1 with different variations to it. I.E. baseline runner, middle runner etc....

• 2 months later...

A 2-3 matchup zone is an excellent defense and is anything but a lazy mans defense.When ran right it will have all the characteristics of a man.Gotta agree with HJ about disguising the looks to keep the offense from getting comfortable.Regardless of which defense you run,the folks that are the most agressive are the ones that are successful year in and year out.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    monebi
    Newest Member
    monebi