**POST SCRIMMAGE SCORES AND COMMENTS HERE**

I was at the scrimmage but I arrived a little late. The score was 1-1 when I got there. Lumberton is much bigger than BC. Their offensive line manhandled BC for most of the plays that I saw. BC's defense did look better than last year but Lumberton was too big to stop them for short gains. Lumberton gained 5-10+ yards on most caries. BC did get through a few times and stop them for no gain. Lumberton did not pass much but they did not look good at it. BC's offense is still suspect. However, the big defensive players that Lumberton has may have been the problem. Lumberton was in the BC backfield on almost every play. BC did not run the ball with any consistency. Most runs were for no gain. There was only a couple of passes that I remember being completed. One was a side line pass that went for no gain. The other completion was for a big gain. The play was executed very well. BC's defence was better than last year but Lumberton was much bigger and hard to bring down. BC's offense needs a lot of work still. If the line can learn to block better and give the quarterback some time maybe he wouldn't have to hurry up his passes and be able to complete a few. The running backs did not have much room to run at all. I think the spread is a very good offense if it is ran the correct way and if you have the right personnel to run it. I think your line needs to be big and be able to block well. I am not sure that BC has that type of personnel. Remember PNG tried it last year and did not do very well. The went back to the power game and won 7 of their next 8.

I don't claim to know a lot about the spread or football in general, but to me dayton has been effective with a smaller athletic type O-line. I haven't seen BC but that may be what stump is going for rather he has bigger guys or not. the gaps are so much bigger with the spread I don't think real big lineman are entirely necessary. But, they do have to be able to block well like you mentioned and i'm sure that is improving daily with stump there.

I'm no expert either, but from the coaches I've talked with and from what I've seen, you are correct, the spread actually helps to compensate for a small, athletic line. The gaps are bigger and you rely more on changing a defenders momentum more than power blocking them off the line. I think the spread will work at BC, just give it time. You can't compare what PNG did to BC. It's apples and oranges. PNG has the big physical power type of personnel to run the power game and be successful. BC does not. I think this is a good move on Stumps part.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest band of brothers

if you read the posts.. two plays of over 15 yards the whole game for bc.

7 sacks by the lumberton defense on the first drive. (the first drive is a 15 play drive)

2 unforced fumbles for lumberton recovered by bc..

they stayed with them..?

Ya i think So, Was it 14 to 7?? i call that staying with someone

it is what it is a scrimmage!

7 sacks by the lumberton defense on the first drive. (the first drive is a 15 play drive)

they stayed with them..?

hey, here's an idea...

how about giving credit where credit is due???

Scrimmage OR not, both BC and Lumberton played good.

NOT saying both sides of the ball are flawless, but is there a team that ever is "flawless"???

both sides gave it their all.

Good Job Guys!

Guest Its_All_About_Tha_U

they stayed with them..?

hey, here's an idea...

NOT saying both sides of the ball are flawless, but is there a team that ever is "flawless"???

Good Job Guys!

Well said...I did hear that BC's D was a little scrappy though. Way better than last year when the Raiders played them.

they stayed with them..?

hey, here's an idea...

Good Job Guys!

Well said...I did hear that BC's D was a little scrappy though. Way better than last year when the Raiders played them.

BC's D was doing real good compared to the last time these two teams met.

They actually have some linebackers that are willing to step up.

The Linebackers and D-Line seem like they wanna hit somebody.

48-7 to a 14-7... thats a huge improvement!

BC's offense has a lot of work to do, as does their defense, but they are improving and i cant wait to watch them throughout the season!!!

Guest band of brothers

they stayed with them..?

hey, here's an idea...

Good Job Guys!

BC's D was doing real good compared to the last time these two teams met.

They actually have some linebackers that are willing to step up.

The Linebackers and D-Line seem like they wanna hit somebody.

48-7 to a 14-7... thats a huge improvement!

BC's offense has a lot of work to do, as does their defense, but they are improving and i cant wait to watch them throughout the season!!!

you are actually going to compare this[scrimmage] to last years game? it's time to start a new thread. in all honesty, if this would have been a real game, it would probably be a repeat of last year, but since you guys feel the need to do so, run with it!

BC's TD was against the 2nd team. both Lumbertons were against the first team.

but I did hear BC looked better than last year but remeber Lumberton lost their first scrimmage last year 2-1 so take it for what it was. A practice

but I did hear BC looked better than last year but remeber Lumberton lost their first scrimmage last year 2-1 so take it for what it was. A practice

Why wasn't Lumberton's Runningback running 60 70 yard runs every play then??

It doesn't matter if your running the base of all base of your offense If B.C.'s Defense relay Sucked he would have did that every play of the game and it would have been a repeat

What? I really dont understand your post. you need to go back and use english. You and Ozenfinest must hangout.

but Hanna had over a 100 yards and Beard had around 80. both broke runs over 40 yards. they only played about 30 plays total on offense if that many so give them a break.

It doesn't matter if your running the base of all base of your offense If B.C.'s Defense relay Sucked he would have did that every play of the game and it would have been a repeat

dude, go read your friends posts from BRIDGE CITY. even THEY said that almost every run for lumberton went for 10+ yards! now i'm not football coach or anything, but you don't really need 80+ yard rushes, when your gettin a first down EVERY play now do you?

yeah, don't think so.

and, if you wanna get smart about it, like WTB said.. they both DID have rushes of 40-50+

so..

dude, go read your friends posts from BRIDGE CITY. even THEY said that almost every run for lumberton went for 10+ yards! now i'm not football coach or anything, but you don't really need 80+ yard rushes, when your gettin a first down EVERY play now do you?

yeah, don't think so.

and, if you wanna get smart about it, like WTB said.. they both DID have rushes of 40-50+

so..

then WHY did they not have more that just 2 TDs???

if your going to get a First Down EVERY play then please explain to me how they didn't have atleast 5 TD's...

yes they had 2 big plays. but it wasn't because they were "manhandling" the defense...

it was just simple error that will be fixed....

was the first scrimmage, they did A LOT better than i expected...

and please read my first post to all this...

you HAVE to give credit where credit is due...

Do NOT try and bring down a team that is giving it their all...

i feel that BC will make a lot of people eat their words...

keep up the hard work guys!

lumberton finally picked up their business with their second possesion on offense. driving the ball downfield fairly easily. did fumble at the goal line, and we had to back it up to the 30.. but once again, drove the ball right in. our dline is going to be a big difference maker in games. BC however was much improved.. even though they only had 1 or 2 plays of more than 15 yards, still much improved.

and this is meant with no disrespect..

ppl on earlier posts were saying if BC's line could give the QB time to throw the ball they wlda been fine.

well.. lumberton's dline will give everyone trouble, so i wouldn't expect BC's line to be able to stop them.

but i think BC will do just fine giving their quarterback time during district play.

here you go 92..

this is my first post.

maybe you should read it too?

and the reason we didn't score 5+ touchdowns is because we had 1 fumble inside the 5. and 1 inside the 15.

both unforced. like you said, mistakes that will be fixed. but its hard to believe that many rushing plays of 10+ yards is a "simple error" by the BC defense. you also need to give credit where credit is due. lumbertons left tackle is going division 1, lumbertons left guard may also go division one, our center started 4 or 5 games last year on a VERY good offensive line. and our right tackle ways close to 300 pounds. can't the fact that our run plays went 10+ yards just about every carry be because we have a VERY GOOD offensive line, instead of a "simple error?"

lumberton finally picked up their business with their second possesion on offense. driving the ball downfield fairly easily. did fumble at the goal line, and we had to back it up to the 30.. but once again, drove the ball right in. our dline is going to be a big difference maker in games. BC however was much improved.. even though they only had 1 or 2 plays of more than 15 yards, still much improved.

and this is meant with no disrespect..

ppl on earlier posts were saying if BC's line could give the QB time to throw the ball they wlda been fine.

well.. lumberton's dline will give everyone trouble, so i wouldn't expect BC's line to be able to stop them.

but i think BC will do just fine giving their quarterback time during district play.

here you go 92..

this is my first post.

maybe you should read it too?

and the reason we didn't score 5+ touchdowns is because we had 1 fumble inside the 5. and 1 inside the 15.

both unforced. like you said, mistakes that will be fixed. but its hard to believe that many rushing plays of 10+ yards is a "simple error" by the BC defense. you also need to give credit where credit is due. lumbertons left tackle is going division 1, lumbertons left guard may also go division one, our center started 4 or 5 games last year on a VERY good offensive line. and our right tackle ways close to 300 pounds. can't the fact that our run plays went 10+ yards just about every carry be because we have a VERY GOOD offensive line, instead of a "simple error?"

i was at the game, and the one inside the 5 was "forced"... when a defender hits the ball carrier and the ball pops out, that would be a forced fumble...

never said every play was a simple error that needed to be fixed... said the 2 big plays they did have was of simple error... NOT every play of the game...

seems to me that you just dont care for bridge city much at all and are willing to bash BC instead of giving them credit for their improvement...

and congratz to the center and left guard...

as i said before both teams played good.

cant take that from them.

actually i have family in bridge city, so i do care how they do.

notice how i said, they'll be FINE once district play starts.. if they ever get out of that stupid spread.

and i talked to the quarterback who fumbled inside the 5, and he said no one touched it, so i'm goin to go with his word of someone who was sitting in the stands..

oh and btw, hannas 50 yard run or whatever it was, was a lot of stiff arms and him lowering his shoulder running people over.

actually i have family in bridge city, so i do care how they do.

notice how i said, they'll be FINE once district play starts.. if they ever get out of that stupid spread.

and i talked to the quarterback who fumbled inside the 5, and he said no one touched it, so i'm goin to go with his word of someone who was sitting in the stands..

oh and btw, hannas 50 yard run or whatever it was, was a lot of stiff arms and him lowering his shoulder running people over.

well i did see a defender hit HIM. maybe didn't touch the football but that doesn't need to happen if he gets hit.

same thing happen when they ran for about 15 yards, got to the 25 or 30 and went to run someone over and didn't secure the football and he fumbled it.

AND if what your saying is true then you'd give them the credit they deserve...

scrimmage or not, they played good.

BC O-Line needs a lot more work, but with a steady improvement with the rest of their game i think they WILL do great.

well hopefully the O-Line comes around...

many many times i noticed that there were open receivers but the QB was busy running for his life...

and i seriously doubt that BC will get out of the spread, give it a little longer and i think it will work out for them...

i look forward to watching their season.

L-town fans be easy on those cardinal fans, they are goin through a rough time right now and they dont understand the concept of a scrimmage!! And plus tha fact of havin to  be worried about Kountze comin to their town and beating them has them all worked up:O

L-town fans be easy on those cardinal fans, they are goin through a rough time right now and they dont understand the concept of a scrimmage!! And plus tha fact of havin to  be worried about Kountze comin to their town and beating them has them all worked up:O

lol?

Scrimmage or not, they still played each other.

the competition was there.

Guest bleed orange

As long as BC stays in the spread they will struggle on offense. When BC was successful it was small lineman that were quick. People may have been bored with the smash mouth run oriented offense but it worked because that type of offense fit the BC kids and I believe it still does. I do think you should be balance (run and pass) but you have to have the right personnel on the field. I can tell you right now that Orangefield could not run the spread. BC and Orangefield kind of mirror one another and not because they are predominately white. Their kids work hard and regardless if they win or lose they never give up. They fight to the end. That is something you cannot coach. It's born in you. Good luck to BC this year except against us of course. I look forward to the year when BC and Orangefield play for the District Championship. It will happen someday. Nothing against Stump, I think he is a good coach. I just don't like Zone blocking. I like "hit you in the mouth" football. I am ready let me have it.

As long as BC stays in the spread they will struggle on offense. When BC was successful it was small lineman that were quick. People may have been bored with the smash mouth run oriented offense but it worked because that type of offense fit the BC kids and I believe it still does. I do think you should be balance (run and pass) but you have to have the right personnel on the field. I can tell you right now that Orangefield could not run the spread. BC and Orangefield kind of mirror one another and not because they are predominately white. Their kids work hard and regardless if they win or lose they never give up. They fight to the end. That is something you cannot coach. It's born in you. Good luck to BC this year except against us of course. I look forward to the year when BC and Orangefield play for the District Championship. It will happen someday. Nothing against Stump, I think he is a good coach. I just don't like Zone blocking. I like "hit you in the mouth" football. I am ready let me have it.

I have to say I agree with you.  This is the second year to try to run the spread and it ain't working!  I love to watch teams that can execute that type of offense, but BC doesn't have the right athletes to run it, plain and simple. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder