Liberty VS Dayton

Guest KHS 89

Guest KHS 89

Why do these two teams not play each other?  I know Dayton is 4A and Liberty 3A, but seems like towns are so close....would be a great rivalry?????

Being a Liberty supporter I have to admit we are not quite ready to play Dayton any time soon. Nothing negative about our team, Dayton just has a lot of talent, good coaches, good fan support and so on. With us not playing them I can support them in every game along with our Panthers.

1985 was the last time the two schools played each other. Two years later, 1987, was the last time Dayton played Barbers Hill. The latter will be rectified, or renewed, due to the district alignment including both teams.

30 years ago, the roles of Dayton and Liberty were reversed with Liberty being a 3-A school, back when there were only four classifications (A-AA-AAA-AAAA). The history of playing each other goes way, way back with Liberty holding a great advantage, but when "the worm" began to turn and Dayton became the population center of Liberty County, with the Panthers falling from AAAA to AAA and Dayton maintaining a "middle of the AAAA pack" in school population, Liberty no longer wanted Dayton on their schedule.

At the time, in '86 when the schedules were being done, the Liberty coach at that time (and I don't know who it was) basically said that when his team played Dayton they were absolutely no good the week before or the week after because they were so focused on Dayton.

Now, it's pretty much like is being bandied about - why would anyone want to play a team that, in all liklihood, would embarrass them.

However, and here is a strand of hope, new head coach Shane Deel has said to give them a couple of years to get their ship in order and they could schedule Dayton. So, will we see a renewal of rivalry in 2010, or will it be 2012? Who knows, but if some of us are going to live to see it, somebody better get on the stick.

I have wondered this myself and in talking to a lot of players, coaches and fans this is my thinking on the matter:

No Doubt recently - last 2 - 3 years Dayton has a distinct advantage over Liberty and the games would likely have been very lopsided.  However, before that time both Liberty and Dayton had good teams and would have been a good game to go watch - and I think very competitive.  The year Liberty was 10 - 0 I really would have liked to have seen this game - I think would have been a great game (2003).

Liberty at this time does not want to play Dayton due to the difference in talent level - But do not think that Dayton really wants to play Liberty either - right now they would win fairly easily - but when (and it will happen) that the teams become closer in talent then IF Liberty were to play Dayton then Dayton is the only team with any risk - and what I mean is this: If Liberty loses then "well they were supposed to lose so really so what" but, if Liberty where to pull the upset Dayton then everyone will start saying "well whats wrong with Dayton if they cannot beat Liberty - a Smaller school". 

Personally I would like to see these two teams play - but would really like to see Liberty be able to step on the field with Dayton with either team having a chance to win.

Go Panthers  ;D

All Liberty did was widen the gap between them and Dayton.  They let the best thing they had going for them go in coach Jeff Stewart.  They wanted Jeff to fail, some of the higher ups.  Those with great VISION or who help correct vision, if you know what I mean.  We at Dayton are glad that Liberty is so smart, we now have Jeff and from what I heard he feels like he has died and gone to Heaven.

I was waiting for this post.  I don't want to put a date on it but Liberty never had a chance in the past and would never have a chance in the future of ever competing at the same level as Dayton Athletics, maybe Liberty's golf team could beat Daytons, i'll give that one to them.  I think the last win was when D Douglas played QB for Liberty, it was a route.  After looking at the pics posted on here from Liberty's practice I was like man'o man.  It looked like a Freshman practice squad.  Please tell me that was not the Varsity team.  All the years that i've followed Liberty Athletics they have welcomed with open arms the athletes that have been kicked out of Dayton athletics.  I know for a fact that several of those athletes have gone to the pen and some that are currently still in the pen.  Hopefully the new head coach in Liberty will stay away from this trend because I know there are five athletes in Dayton available right now.  Liberty beating Dayton or ever playing each other will never happen.

7mary3,

Last I heard it was the Dayton's team that had to kick 5 players off the team due to felony act - not Liberty's.

No doubt that Dayton is a quality program and Liberty is in rebuilding mode - but don't ever say never - you might just have to eat those word sometime.

And I have been a close follower of Liberty's program for years and do not recall Liberty ever taking a Dayton reject - espically a problem child.  As far as going to the "pen" I personally do not know of any from Liberty but do know of 1 from Dayton

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami