BC teen pleads guilty to steroids charge

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you all don't think he is the only teenager in SE Texas to use steroids.

I know for a fact he is not and that it has been going on for awhile not only  in se texas but all over the state, but so for he is the only one from se texas that has been caught and prosecuted, so saying anyone else is using is purely speculation until they are caught. So keep on testing.

Hopefully he has learned his lesson and can move on with his life. Like many of you have stated this is a much bigger problem than we think or admit.

I think the only way to stop this crap is to test every kid that plays varsity sports.  That is unreasonable, but I feel like the only answer to stopping kids trying this stuff.  And the sad thing is that

some parents know what their kids are doing and condone it so Little Johnny can be a star.  That is

the most sickening thing about it all.

Couple that with the coaches who turn a blind eye to it and you have all authority figures for that kid giving the impression that it's OK. What do you expect to happen?

I've said for a long time, that I work out with many young guys who've graduated over the last few years who tell me that they used to take steroids. Once they are out, they like to bump those gums. They tell everything. I've heard of MANY local football players by name that were doing them in highschool and this came straight from the guys they were doing them with. I would never repeat any of these kids names, of course, but they are out there, they are bad and they are very close to home.

Sometimes young ppl make mistakes and im sure that he has learned from what he has done. If he has recived a scholarship then i say it's a chance for him to redeem himself for the decisions he made that was Spring of '06.(A long time ago)

Now as for him being the only one who does it well thats just not true. Pointing fingers at certain schools is not fair either but i believe every school has this happening to some extent. Sad but true.

I think testing should continue, but I think it should be expanded. I think there should be drug testing in schools, including teachers and administrators.  At the plants, we are randomly tested.  There are so many names pulled out of the hopper once a month or every other week.  (Whatever needs to be done).  Pretty  much all jobs nowadays do drug screens prior to employment.  Start testing where the drugs get started.  Include the steroid test in with the regular drug screen.  In other words, every test would be all-inclusive.  I don't care what the cost is....the price is being paid everyday with these kids putting their own lives and the lives of their peers in danger by the sale and use of drugs (of ALL kinds, including the steroids).  And let's not even get into what it means if a teacher or administrator is using!  (Included in the drug testing would also be alcohol!)  Just my opinion.  I'm sure it will be debated, but I feel pretty strongly about this.

I don't know what equipment it takes to test for steroids. If it is a urine sample that is analyzed then it would be pretty easy to administer. If the schools could purchase the equipment then it would pay for itself in short order. The school nurse could run the test. Even if it is a blood test the nurse could administer the test. This is just a thought. I have no idea what kind of expense this would entail. If all athletes could be tested on a regular basis then the use of steroids would drop for sure.

I don't know what equipment it takes to test for steroids. If it is a urine sample that is analyzed then it would be pretty easy to administer. If the schools could purchase the equipment then it would pay for itself in short order. The school nurse could run the test. Even if it is a blood test the nurse could administer the test. This is just a thought. I have no idea what kind of expense this would entail. If all athletes could be tested on a regular basis then the use of steroids would drop for sure.

I agree with you, but I think you are going to see a drop even the way it is. No coach is going to want the blackeye of one of his players getting caught unless they are truly desperate. I think you will see more done by coaching staffs to insure they aren't being used. At least I hope. A coach should know better than anyone if a kid could potentially be taking. They test strength in the offseason. Like someone said earlier, if a kid gains 30 lbs in 3 months and does not gain body fat, something is going on. A coach will see this and should intervene or at least alert the parents of a potential problem. At a minimum, speak to the kid about it. For most, that's all it would take.

i know STEROIDS are  bad and  but there are other things  that are going around in our schools these days and very easy (EASY) for our kids to get there hands on it. i have a grandson i watch very close  and  relly gets him PO at me but as i have told him i need him to have a life and full feel his dreams of be comming someone not a number in the grave yard. just a few weeks back i was in houston and saw a drug deal going down at a stop and go store. i took the lic plat # and followed the  car  to south houston  where the police stoped the car thay asked me on the cell phone to stop and back up  and ID these people so i did. these  kids in the car all 4 of them  were under 17 years old ,as i told one of them u are the walking dead ,the office got put out at me  what a shame        end of story

My biggest problem with him receiving a scholarship is that he likely would not have had the football and track success without cheating.  You have kids that bust their butts everyday the good ole fashion way who might not be as impressive, but probably just as worthy because they possess something that he obviously didn't...work ethic.

My biggest problem with him receiving a scholarship is that he likely would not have had the football and track success without cheating.  You have kids that bust their butts everyday the good ole fashion way who might not be as impressive, but probably just as worthy because they possess something that he obviously didn't...work ethic.

I whole heartedly agree.  Try explaining that logic to a 16 or 17 year old who dreams of a scholorship and works hard to get it, then see one who gets busted for steriods (using and selling I assume) and cannot play their senior year because of it, but is awarded a chance to play at the next level.  I think that is certainly sending the WRONG message out to the hard working honest athletes. 

I whole heartedly agree.  Try explaining that logic to a 16 or 17 year old who dreams of a scholorship and works hard to get it, then see one who gets busted for steriods (using and selling I assume) and cannot play their senior year because of it, but is awarded a chance to play at the next level.  I think that is certainly sending the WRONG message out to the hard working honest athletes. 

Very well put.

It has been around for years. A prominent PNG player was busted for selling it several years back as I recall, but I also new guys from PA and Bmt that were juiced as well, so it isn't relegated to just the so called wealthy schools. All schools have this problem.

I disagree.

It has been around for years. A prominent PNG player was busted for selling it several years back as I recall, but I also new guys from PA and Bmt that were juiced as well, so it isn't relegated to just the so called wealthy schools. All schools have this problem.

I disagree.

Exactly what do you disagree with?

I am guessing that he is disagreeing that all schools have the problem.

I think all schools have the "potential" for the problem but an aggressive stance by the school's administration and coaching staffs can stop it or keep it severely in check.

I know that steroids do exist but how often they are used I have no way of knowing. I am sure they were used by some until it was determined that they are dangerous. They are probably still being used by some. It was determined that cigarette smoking is dangerous to ones health and look at how many still smoke. As for the scholarship for the player in question, I do not know him personally but I did have one email exchange with him about a different mater not pertaining to steroids. He seemed like a good kid as far as one can tell from a email but I know that is no way to judge ones character. I did talk to his principal about the steroid incident and was told that he was a good student and great kid but he just made a huge mistake. He paid a price by missing his senior year and will have to do some jail time also I believe. I do not think he should be punished the rest of his life because of it. He is only a kid. I am not saying give everyone one free shot at using illegal drugs but some NFL players have tested positive and are still playing after a rehab. If a junior college or university wants to take a chance on a kid then let them do so. He is only a high school athlete. Pete Rose was punished for life but he is a professional. This is just my opinion. If anyone wants to disagree with me then that is fine with me. You  certainly have a right to your opinion just like everyone else, this is just mine. What is important here is to try to stop anyone else from using steroids. Maybe the fact that one local student is being sent to jail for 15 days and having to pay a fine of $1000 will ward off any other potential users. The testing will help also.

I disagree.

Exactly what do you disagree with?

I disagree that performance enhancing drugs are a problem in every school. I think it's a problem in schools where the kids can afford them, as I said before. Again, there is really no sense in debating it, though. This will all come out in the wash in a few years. From what I've been told, a certain percentage of play off teams will be tested. You will find out who is using and who isn't by those who are busted and those who disappear.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder