Revised Subject: BABE RUTH BASEBALL

Guest gladiator2

Scalp'em,

You hit the nail on the head. I have always preached to kid's to learn every position that you can because when you get to High School just about every player mainly played pitcher and shortstop. Believe it or not when you get to HS there are not many kid's that can play the OF. I was talking to my sons select coach and asked him what position did he think that he would be playing in HS and he named a few IF positions and said maybe even OF. I know that he is not going to play the position that they had been playing him at, so I told him to do whatever was best for the team but could he give him some time at practice in the OF or the other positions that he thought that he would play in HS and he said that he would try and do it. Personally, I told him to play him where he needed him to play that gives the team the best chance to win. Back a few years ago I was coaching and I had a kid who I played in several different positions and he didn't like it because wanted a position that he could call home. I tried telling him and his parents that the more positions that he learned the better off he would be in HS, at first they didn't really care for it but later on they came to me and said that was the best thing that could have happened to him. Today, he is my favorite player that I ever coached because he was one of the most fiercest competitors and without a doubt a tireless worker. We use to butt heads and honestly I can say that is one of the things that made me love this kid. I can guarantee you one thing if I had been coaching him the last few years there would not be a chance for him not to make All-Stars every year (I could be wrong but I at least I like to think that). I knew what buttons to press but on the other hand he knew what buttons of mine to push. If he can keep practicing different positions and keep working hard than he should not have a problem when he gets to HS because he should be able to handle the bat well. I got a little off course but I am just echoing what the previous post about playing other positions besides SS and Pitcher. I am shocked that this kid did not make All-Stars over kid's that he was a lot more talented than. I am not taking anything away from any of the other kid's because maybe he had an off year, I don't know but Congrats to the one's who made it.

Guest 87CRU79

No argument here! All kids can benefit from experience at multiple positions on the field, especially later in their baseball careers.

But the current situation intels players playing OUT of position. Eventhough it is good for players to receive time at various spots, tournaments are not the time to experiment different people at different spots. You need to put the kids in the best position to WIN, not the best position to make MOMMY and DADDY happy.

Players with ability and experience should take priority over the one's who "try hard" or is coach's son. I'm not pointin out anyone specificly, but there is no room for "Daddy Ball" in All-Stars. The success in the tournament will reflect upon the coach and the decision he made in putting the best players on the field. Hopefully, this team will not have to deal with such intolerable ignorance, or I'm sure there will be more than just slightly unhappy parents.

No argument here! All kids can benefit from experience at multiple positions on the field, especially later in their baseball careers.

But the current situation intels players playing OUT of position. Eventhough it is good for players to receive time at various spots, tournaments are not the time to experiment different people at different spots. You need to put the kids in the best position to WIN, not the best position to make MOMMY and DADDY happy.

Players with ability and experience should take priority over the one's who "try hard" or is coach's son. I'm not pointin out anyone specificly, but there is no room for "Daddy Ball" in All-Stars. The success in the tournament will reflect upon the coach and the decision he made in putting the best players on the field. Hopefully, this team will not have to deal with such intolerable ignorance, or I'm sure there will be more than just slightly unhappy parents.

Understand your point and my opinion is for little league regular season, and select before your state tournaments. More players playing different positions will help your post season teams as well as assist the player individually for their future. This is all my opinion and I imagine thier are alot of them about this topic. Ask most people that played HS or College ball and they'll say the same thing about playing and understanding more than one position at an early age and it will benifit you tremendously in the future. Good luck to all of our youth baseball organizations.

The versatility in the field does prove to be beneficial in the long run, but I think the original argument was pertaining to not putting the "Best 9" on the field. And trust me, this year at Nederland Babe Ruth, there has been more than a fair share of Daddy Ball being played.

There are a few kids playing out of position and batting out of order, for sure. Do NOT put your weaker hitters high in the line-up, and your slower of foot kids in the OF. SIMPLE THINGS that people who know baseball already know...

The versatility in the field does prove to be beneficial in the long run, but I think the original argument was pertaining to not putting the "Best 9" on the field. And trust me, this year at Nederland Babe Ruth, there has been more than a fair share of Daddy Ball being played.

There are a few kids playing out of position and batting out of order, for sure. Do NOT put your weaker hitters high in the line-up, and your slower of foot kids in the OF. SIMPLE THINGS that people who know baseball already know...

G-Boy...Tell me something. Is this from a person who has witnessed their practices or has direct communication from a parent? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Anyway, you make a good point of reference. Hopefully, they have "The Best Bats" 1 thru 9 in the batting order. As for the OF, it should be good legs w/agility, strong glove, stronger arm w/accuracy, mental acuity, experience, etc.. If the coaching staff pool together their thoughts as a democracy and not let the monarchy rule the post, then good things should happen for this group at the tournament.

Hahaha! Wouldn't you for me just to blurt some names out of coaches and fathers that I have given me pertinent information. I've got a little more sense than that 82!!!

The only thing I'm concerned with is makin sure that these kids are given the best situation to win, and that "little league" politics will have no bearing on the line-up. I know there are few ringers on the team that are getting the run-around, not fair in my opinion.

G-boy...I got your pm. How can you put one of the league's better all around players on defense and pull his bat from the batting order? The same goes for the other 2-3 players and their utility play. I will say it again, Best 9 should play to get the "W's". Sounds like to much of gotta find utility play for entire roster. Sometimes you just cant play entire roster per game. I hope this is not the case.

Honestly, how hard is it to play to win every single game? Ive been coaching baseball since forever. I eat, sleep, and breathe the game. Im in college as we speak to make it truely my life. Its not hard, more times than not its obvious. Yes, sometimes being a dad with a kid on the team does get in the way. Weve all seen it, fortunately I dont have this problem, but still it would seem to me that if youre kids on the team you would want the team to win and not put your own child in a position to fail. Maybe thats just me. I know just about every single 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 year old all stars this year and their coaching staffs hopefully all of you guys win alot of ball games this summer.

Guest gladiator2

I hope not, but it sounds like this team is destined to fail before they ever play a game. The only people who seem to think everything is alright are the ones whose child made the team. They ought to feel good for their kid's. It is not the parents or the kid's fault of how All-Stars are selected. The team is selected, so let them go and play and how this team does will determine if they left some kid's off of this team. If the team was selected right than there is no way that they should not win the first tournament. If they lose than everyone knows. Mid-County baseball players are some of the best player's in the state and should easily win the first tournament if everything is legit. Good Luck to all!!

I hope not, but it sounds like this team is destined to fail before they ever play a game. The only people who seem to think everything is alright are the ones whose child made the team. They ought to feel good for their kid's. It is not the parents or the kid's fault of how All-Stars are selected. The team is selected, so let them go and play and how this team does will determine if they left some kid's off of this team. If the team was selected right than there is no way that they should not win the first tournament. If they lose than everyone knows. Mid-County baseball players are some of the best player's in the state and should easily win the first tournament if everything is legit. Good Luck to all!!

Ditto! Good post glasdbaseball.

Guest 87CRU79

It's pretty evident that there is some "Daddy Ball" goin on, it's obvious. Sacrificing the betterment of the team just so a coach's kid can be an All-Star or say he played All-Stars. I'm a college student planning on one day to be a successfull coach, and RULE #1 is to always "Put the TEAM in front of you, or your own personal goals"! I would easily sit my son, brother, cousin, nephew or God-child to win a game. You always must put the team in the best position to win!

Guest gladiator2

Now people can voice their opinion if everything was done right and if all of the best player's were there. My personal opinion is Mid-County is not suppose to lose that first tournament. Something had to have went wrong. Yahtzee was right!!!

I have read this thread and some of the comments aren't accurate.  First, this is not the first time Nederland Babe Ruth has not made it out of state.  Noone should assume that state is a cake walk.  The thirteen year old team that Spikes, Pitts, Berwick, Woods, Vidrine, etc. lost due to one Wharton pitcher.  He was good and shut Nederland down twice in the tournament.  Several of them chose not to play as 14 or 15 year olds and those teams also lost at state.    Wharton beat the  Mid County 17 and 18 year old team last year at state.  You are not going to have the strongest team at state every year.  Secondly, players or parents of players who chose not to play at Babe Ruth this year should not be complaining or putting the players who did down.  Next year is next year and hopefully the league does get stronger.  Let these kids have their day.  It is about the kids right! ;)   

Pretty sure that the comment was not made by a player or parent of a player "who did not play Babe Ruth this past year" as you put it, but I agree with you all the same.  This year's group had a good run and should be congratulated for their efforts.  To say that something is wrong if Nederland does not win state every year is off target IMO.

This year's 13s represented their city and league well.  Maybe next year's results will be different, but we won't know that until next year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder