Groves American Baseball League...name change

I think the name change will lose support from those living in Groves over time.  As much of a hot bed as Mid-County has always been through all youth sports, you take away the "grass roots" of some of the programs and the support will bail on you.  Sad to hear they decided to do this.

I think the name change will lose support from those living in Groves over time.  As much of a hot bed as Mid-County has always been through all youth sports, you take away the "grass roots" of some of the programs and the support will bail on you.  Sad to hear they decided to do this.

I think they were already losing ground in Groves as it is (to the Groves LL League -- National).  Good luck Shiner.  One big asset you have is a great facility.  Too bad we are not playing the All Star tournament there.  (We played the first 3 days of the Director's Tournament there). 

Groves American has always been open to people who live outside of Groves that do not have a Pony League where they live but not many people know that. They think since it is Groves American that you have to live in Groves.

Having two Youth baseball leagues in the same city plus all the Select Teams it is getting harder on League Ball. Yes we did lose some kids to other leagues but we did gain new kids as well our total number of kids is only down by a handful.

We know this might make some people unhappy but when they see what we are doing for the kids I think they may change their mind.

It is a real shame that in a town the size of Groves, that we have these kids split up like they are. We should have ONE LEAGUE PERIOD. There is no good argument against it. A group of kids that play together for TEN YEARS like in the "old days" has a HUGE advantage down the road. Too many egos involved to merge the leagues. Truly sad situation... >:(

Guest gladiator2

Tribesman, I agree with your post!! If Nederland can do it than why cant Groves do it. I see that the older boys from from PN and Groves had to combine and I guarantee you that their All-Star team will make some noise. The big reason that I don't see the younger groups combining is because one league is Pony and one is LL. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Most kid's that play select do not want to play LL. By the way who is the president at Jefferson Pony? I really believe that they should start a select league over there and it would really take off (at least do it in the Fall). They have a bunch of local teams from 9u and up.

I hate to see the name change, but I agree that it would be nice for Groves to combine, but alot of people don't want to play PONY rules from Groves National and vice versa. Nederland combined, but they were both little league. If Groves combined and played PONY, you would have kids from other areas playing as well and it wouldn't be the same. Groves American use to be little league a long time ago. It's a shame that we can't combine all of our kids in Groves because I know we would really be competative.

I agree with the combination of leagues, and do see the problem with LL/Pony for those in Groves.  Eventually a few people need to get off their high horse and do whats best for the kids.  I remember the real "opening day" of baseball in Groves and would love to see it again, however with the numbers decreasing and split, doubt that will happen.

I know you may think they need to merge to "unify" the kids but I don't think that is the answer at least not in the LL organization.  Our boys have played both LL and Pony and we as well as our boys have found Pony much more enjoyable!  Pony is a lot more fast paced and may not be for some but our boys enjoy the competition, LL did not challenge them enough, especially when they were younger.  We definitely found what they needed with the Pony organization. 

I think the name change is good.  All that is changing is the name and probably educating the public to what already was!

As someone that came from Groves American I hate the name change but understand it. Back when I was playing things were much different with GA being the place to play and All-Stars constantly advancing to the Regionals. I just prefer PONY over Little League I think is prepares you better but that's just my opinion. As far as the purple thing, lol we wore Red, White and Blue in all-stars but back then so did the National league.

I see your point with the Pony/LL thing being the issue, but does NOT call for a name change.....I can still to this day hear men discuss who was better National/American for certain span of years...Similar to the talks of PNG/NED football....Again my only concern was the name change...It takes away from the established roots of Groves....

The only reason we are changing the name is to try to get the word out to other towns that they too can play here. Any one who lives in Jefferson county can come play here. I think even if you live in B.C  you can play here as well i think. I wish we could keep the name also but we are trying to look at the future of the league not just right now.

Coonass what do you mean by doing whats best for the kids? Now I know just like every other league out there you have a few coaches that are out there for the "allstar" kids and leave the others on the back burner, but apparently you havent been to my games or practices. EVERY child gets the same practice and teaching of the game when i coach. Just not sure how you meant that statement.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wew
    Newest Member
    wew