District to charge fee to athletes

I don't know how it is at East Chambers, but there are kids at WOS that are POOR and don't have ANYTHING...cell phone, pagers, or otherwise.    THAT is what the jest of the conversation is about...the kids who DON'T have it. 

Are you confusing wos with pam? Come on its not like WOS is poorville or somthin.

Come on, Buc.....what the flip do you know about WOS?  Your posts show you know nothing!!!!  There are football players (as well as other students) who have nothing.  Teachers and coaches have passed on clothing to the kids and those kids are proud to get it. 

I don't know how it is at East Chambers, but there are kids at WOS that are POOR and don't have ANYTHING...cell phone, pagers, or otherwise.    THAT is what the jest of the conversation is about...the kids who DON'T have it. 

Are you confusing wos with pam? Come on its not like WOS is poorville or somthin.

Come on, Buc.....what the flip do you know about WOS?  Your posts show you know nothing!!!!  There are football players (as well as other students) who have nothing.  Teachers and coaches have passed on clothing to the kids and those kids are proud to get it. 

Average income for this area (I randomly looked at about 5 towns including winnie beaumont lumberton and port arthur representing what most would consider both poor and not so poor towns) and it was about 33,300 average yearly income per job in each household...west orange was 29,300 which is less but not much less than the rest.

Average income for this area (I randomly looked at about 5 towns including winnie beaumont lumberton and port arthur representing what most would consider both poor and not so poor towns) and it was about 33,300 average yearly income per job in each household...west orange was 29,300 which is less but not much less than the rest.

Your information doesn't tell the whole story and if you believe that it does, then something's wrong with you.  Don't you dare sit behind your computer and pretend that your statistics and information that you put together tell you what you need to know about the kids at WOS.  You need to take a drive on the east side of 16th street to get the real picture.  I'm not saying that all of the kids live in poor neighborhoods; I'm saying that there ARE poor kids in the WOCCISD.  There are some kids that still live in the district whose parents have good jobs at the plants and those parents were Mustangs and they want their kids to be Mustangs.  But make no mistake, there are poverty-level residents....

Your information doesn't tell the whole story and if you believe that it does, then something's wrong with you.  Don't you dare sit behind your computer and pretend that your statistics and information that you put together tell you what you need to know about the kids at WOS.  You need to take a drive on the east side of 16th street to get the real picture.  I'm not saying that all of the kids live in poor neighborhoods; I'm saying that there ARE poor kids in the WOCCISD.  There are some kids that still live in the district whose parents have good jobs at the plants and those parents were Mustangs and they want their kids to be Mustangs.  But make no mistake, there are poverty-level residents....

Please don't take this wrong...because honestly none of it concerns me very much...can't you say that about any town? Lumberton had the highest figures out of any of the towns...I have friends from Lumberton living in the same conditions your speaking of...get what I'm saying?

I took it wrong because you tried to imply that there were NO poor students/players at WOS....then you went and did your research thing.  How else was I to take it?  There was sarcasm in some of your posts....

I'm not trying to be difficult either....just very passionate when I feel strongly about something.

I took it wrong because you tried to imply that there were NO poor students/players at WOS....then you went and did your research thing.  How else was I to take it?  There was sarcasm in some of your posts....

I'm not trying to be difficult either....just very passionate when I feel strongly about something.

Ill cut this short because sombodys passionate about my karma hitting the dirt...but I didn't say or even imply that there are NO poor players at wos but the way some describe it makes it sound like a third world country

Ill cut this short because sombodys passionate about my karma hitting the dirt...but I didn't say or even imply that there are NO poor players at wos but the way some describe it makes it sound like a third world country

Hey Buc I gave you a hit for the good on your Karma.  ;D

Hey Buc I gave you a hit for the good on your Karma.  ;D

Thanks big guy...I'm sure its going to take a nose dive when people read this thread in the morning...if you look at things a little differently than everyone else then your karma is in the line of fire.

I didnt want to get into this conversation but i was at a gas station in west orange yesterday. I pull up next to a car and the guys gets out and ask to borrow some money so he could get his 3 or 4 year old girl something to drink...i didnt have a problem helping someone out but what made me mad was that he was wearing brand new nike's, he had 22'' rims on his car, etc. Its not that these people are poor, which i know there are some who have it rough, but they are more worried about there rims and there cloths than there 3 year old girl going hungry. This post doesnt speak about everyone.

Guest ECBucFan

I didnt want to get into this conversation but i was at a gas station in west orange yesterday. I pull up next to a car and the guys gets out and ask to borrow some money so he could get his 3 or 4 year old girl something to drink...i didnt have a problem helping someone out but what made me mad was that he was wearing brand new nike's, he had 22'' rims on his car, etc. Its not that these people are poor, which i know there are some who have it rough, but they are more worried about there rims and there cloths than there 3 year old girl going hungry. This post doesnt speak about everyone.

Thank you, UT. Nowdays, if you speak the truth, you get blasted by the PC police, lots of evidence of it in the preceeding posts. Only the most gullible and naieve would believe that many of the "poor" don't carry cell phones, text message, don't sport $1000 rims and $150 shoes, etc. The truth stands.

Do you KNOW that the guy was from West Orange or are you just assuming that he is?  I don't condone those who smoke, drink, have nice "rims" and then ask for welfare.  You and buc fan are blind and prejudiced if you think ALL "poor" people are that way and/or that there is an overabundance of that at WOS.  You should have told the guy to go sell his rims to get his child some food.  Enough said.  I am through with this conversation.  I have NOT said that there AREN'T kids at WOS that have cell phones, blah, blah.  I have said that there are a lot that cannot  pay to play!!!! Some of you can stereotype if you want, but unless you are involved in the kids' lives who attend and play football at WOS.......shutup.

Do you KNOW that the guy was from West Orange or are you just assuming that he is?  I don't condone those who smoke, drink, have nice "rims" and then ask for welfare.  You and buc fan are blind and prejudiced if you think ALL "poor" people are that way and/or that there is an overabundance of that at WOS.  You should have told the guy to go sell his rims to get his child some food.  Enough said.  I am through with this conversation.  I have NOT said that there AREN'T kids at WOS that have cell phones, blah, blah.  I have said that there are a lot that cannot  pay to play!!!! Some of you can stereotype if you want, but unless you are involved in the kids' lives who attend and play football at WOS.......shutup.

Hey read the last sentence of my post. Im not blind you are blind...i have driven past there highschool and i have seen many cars with 22''s and all that stuff, maybe those arent the kids that have it rough but you make it sound like these people are living like a third world country.

IMHO  schools SHOULD be run like a business, with the taxpayers as "stockholders" via their school tax and should have a say in what goes on. The purpose of a school however is not to make a profit but to educate our kids through academics, sports and other extra-curricular activites  You can equate a school board to a board of directors of a company in a way but in companies that are publicly funded through stock purchases, the stockholders have more say in what happens than we as citizens have in dealing with the school district. It appears to me, that as taxpayers who fund schools and all the associated expenses, we have at best, a very minimal say to what "business" decisions are made.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but I just wanted to express my feelings.

Hey read the last sentence of my post. Im not blind you are blind...i have driven past there highschool and i have seen many cars with 22''s and all that stuff, maybe those arent the kids that have it rough but you make it sound like these people are living like a third world country.

Couple of things that I disagree with on here...

First of all, which gas station in West Orange did you stop at?  JW because that list is quite short.

Second of all, I have dropped my kids off at the high school for about 5+ years now and I can tell you that you might see "some" cars with rims, but not too many.

My earlier response to this thread was in response to a comment made by someone who stated that more poor kids have it better than the kids who parents work.  As I posted, most of the kids in this district have parent(s) who work, but they are still considered poor.  I am one of those parents and therefore, I took that posts offensively.  As for the stats, they don't tell the WHOLE story...trust me.

There is just too much "Pork" in the salaries structures at schools; with everyone in middle management having an assistant or two.

Fire the ones managing the money inappropriately and pare out the inefficient ones not needed in middle management AND THEN APPLY THOSE TAXPAYER SAVING to the fees you are trying to tack on to the families of the kids and the innocent district taxpayers.....

Also,double the classrooms teachers salaries with the money saved by getting read of all the top heavy management and academic accomplishments will soar within the student body!

There is just too much "Pork" in the salaries structures at schools; with everyone in middle management having an assistant or two.

Fire the ones managing the money inappropriately and pare out the inefficient ones not needed in middle management AND THEN APPLY THOSE TAXPAYER SAVING to the fees you are trying to tack on to the families of the kids and the innocent district taxpayers.....

Also,double the classrooms teachers salaries with the money saved by getting read of all the top heavy management and academic accomplishments will soar within the student body!

I agree with all of your post East TX (except maybe doubling the teacher salaries... a nice raise would help though).  Unfortunately, I don't ever think that it could happen.  Too much politics to get rid of innefficiency at that level.  Maybe in a perfect world...but not the one we live in now.  Run a school district like a public corporation and alot of the inneficiencies would be gone...again, that ain't never gonna happen.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder