Rule Clarification?

I'm watching Holland play Italy in the Euro Cup, and there was a goal allowed earlier that all of the announcers said should've been offsides.  Anybody with a reffing background have any input?

Here's the situation:

On a flighted ball in, the Italy keeper came out and punched the ball away.  When he did this, he ran into one of his own players, who was knocked over the endline out of bounds.  A Holland player collected the punch, and tapped it back to a player at the 18, who drove it back in.  A Holland forward was a yard offsides or so and redirected the ball into the back of the net.  He would've  clearly been offsides, but the Italy defender was still on his back out of bounds. The linesman did not raise his flag, and the goal counted.

I thought it was a good call, but the announcers said it was offsides.  If a goalie knocks his own player over the endline, how can that player not be counted in the play during an offsides call?  Should this have been a goal or not?

According to FIFA rules, a player must ask for permission to leave the field.  Otherwise he is considered still a part of the action.  This would be the ruling had the player left the field on the sideline, too, I think.  This is a FIFA rule, but I don't know if it is a UIL rule, as well.

the only rule (i believe) is that to be considered onside you must have 2 defenders (including the goalie) between you and the goal on any forward pass...

i think he should have still been onsides because the forward still had 2 defenders infront of him... depends on how you interpret it though, because i think anything i've ever read said 2 defenders between you and the goal... so im not sure on that part...

THIS IS STRAIGHT OUT OF A NATIONAL FEDERATION OF STATE HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER ASSOCIATION RULE BOOK... (dont know if its different for pro, but heres what i've got)

It says... A player is in an offside position when nearer to his/her opponents' goal line than the ball, unless...

a. The player is in his/her own half of the field of play; or

b. the player is not nearer to the opponents GOAL LINE than at least two opponents

so technically he didn't have 2 defenders between him and the goal line, so he should have been called offsides and the goal shouldn't have counted (i think)... unless you say that the defender that was out of bounds was closer to the goal line from the opposite direction than the forward... I think its basically a judgement call

hope this helps

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder