Should Texas abolish school boards as they exist today?

Some posters have commented on how school boards often meddle in school business as far as the hiring and firing of coaches for apparently, no good reason(s). Do you think school boards should be abolish as they exist today, and how would you replace these people or would the district personnel take on their function?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

School boards serve a school well for the most part.  Would not abolish it just make a few changes.

Just my opinion and do not know if it would work but school board members should have an idea of what goes on in a school.  Retired teachers and administrators.  Maybe have one outstanding member of the community with higher education(Doctors, Lawyers, etc).  And one current teacher to speak for the teachers. 

If you are related to a student or teacher at the school then you cannot be on the board. 

Education is the goal and seems like the people making decisions for a school should be educated also.  At least have to have a college degree to be on the board. 

Like I said, just my opinion.  Let's see how it gets picked apart.

If you are related to a student or teacher at the school then you cannot be on the board. 

Education is the goal and seems like the people making decisions for a school should be educated also.  At least have to have a college degree to be on the board. 

I agree with this no one should be on the school board that is related to a teacher or especially a student.

To many times you hear of a school board members child doing something and the school will let it go because they are worried about their job. So they don't do their job.

Some posters have commented on how school boards often meddle in school business as far as the hiring and firing of coaches for apparently, no good reason(s). Do you think school boards should be abolish as they exist today, and how would you replace these people or would the district personnel take on their function?

How do your replace a publicly elected set of officials that have to vote on taxes that run a school? It is impossible. So you want people appointed that set your tax rate and deem how to spend your money with no accountability to the taxpayers?

Meddling in school business if the job of the school board. That is why they are the "School" board and not the "Grounds Maintenance" board. Not the day to day running of schools which is the superintendant and principals but how the money is spent and who is head coaches and athletic directors is. School boards are publicly elected. If you don't like the results, vote them out. Whether a school board or individual members are performing well should be made known at the ballot box.

Hornet 85 you are clueless about the board and have never a board members child at Hardin get special attention.

I agree with this no one should be on the school board that is related to a teacher or especially a student.

To many times you hear of a school board members child doing something and the school will let it go because they are worried about their job. So they don't do their job.

How do your replace a publicly elected set of officials that have to vote on taxes that run a school? It is impossible. So you want people appointed that set your tax rate and deem how to spend your money with no accountability to the taxpayers?

Meddling in school business if the job of the school board. That is why they are the "School" board and not the "Grounds Maintenance" board. Not the day to day running of schools which is the superintendant and principals but how the money is spent and who is head coaches and athletic directors is. School boards are publicly elected. If you don't like the results, vote them out. Whether a school board or individual members are performing well should be made known at the ballot box.

"Meddling" in school business is NOT the job of the school board.  Their job is to set policy, hire and fire the superintendent, and tax rate.  That is basically it. Their job is not to itemize how the money is spent.  If the supt is staying within the school budget then the board should have no say as to whether or not a certain brand of vehicle was bought.  And definitely the boards job is not to hire coaches.  The supt hires all staff under him/her.  NOT THE BOARD!

I hate the fact that school board members can be related to students I know a teacher (not from my school) whom in doing her job didn't please one of the school board members kids...her contract wasn't renewed this year

If that were a requirement, East Chambers wouldn't have enough candidates eligible to run for school board!

I was looking at the money we taxpayers spend per child in Texas which is $7,561 per year,  $1,577 behind the average in the country of $9,138.

This is the hidden content, please

At least the Texas school boards can control cost somewhat compared to the nation. If you have 25 students that's 25 x $7,761= $194,025 per class room per year. The teachers are getting shortchanged, where does the money go? 

This business about school boards determining who plays is mostly urban legend dreamed up by parents who think their kid should be playing and looking for some excuse why they are not.  I have known, and still know lots of school board members and I can assure you that this is low priority stuff for them.

This business about school boards determining who plays is mostly urban legend dreamed up by parents who think their kid should be playing and looking for some excuse why they are not.  I have known, and still know lots of school board members and I can assure you that this is low priority stuff for them.

I don't disagree, but I don't think that is what this conversation is about.

I think this wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe it would take some of the politics out of schools.  Teachers and coaches alike don't get jobs because they are good teachers or coaches, it is all in who you know.  This is unfortunate for the kids.  We need quality teachers and coaches, who do their job for the kids.  However, there are schools boards out there that keep the comments from the general public out of their minds and keep the kids interest at heart when making hiring decisions.

Maybe it would take some of the politics out of schools. 

You can't because it is a political system. You can't have a politician run for office and not have politics. It is the nature of the beast. The mere fact that someone runs for office is political.

Mustang you are wrong again.  The board does all the hiring,  the Sup makes recommendations to the board for hire. And the board sets policy.

"Meddling" in school business is NOT the job of the school board.  Their job is to set policy, hire and fire the superintendent, and tax rate.  That is basically it. Their job is not to itemize how the money is spent.  If the supt is staying within the school budget then the board should have no say as to whether or not a certain brand of vehicle was bought.  And definitely the boards job is not to hire coaches.  The supt hires all staff under him/her.  NOT THE BOARD!

I will continue to disagree. My use of the word "meddling" is from the other post. It is the school board's business to know what is going on in the district and to step in with the rules that they are allowed to make.

Go back and read my original post. I said that it was the superintendant and principals jobs to do the day to day running of the district. In my opinion that is correct. The school board doesn't step in and make day to day decisions, discipline teachers, set schedules, etc. They most definitely can "meddle" in the district's business however. That is what they are elected to do. Change the term if it makes it sound more politically correct. The school board controls the district.

Mustang you are wrong again.  The board does all the hiring,  the Sup makes recommendations to the board for hire. And the board sets policy.

I did say that the board sets policy.  And yes they vote up or down on the supts recommendation.  However, their job is not to interview candidates for athletic director, principal or even teachers.  That is against the law.  Other than setting policy, hiring the supt, and setting the tax rate there is not much a school board should be doing.  That doesn't mean that they do that though.  A lot of school boards overstep their bounds. 

I will continue to disagree. My use of the word "meddling" is from the other post. It is the school board's business to know what is going on in the district and to step in with the rules that they are allowed to make.

Go back and read my original post. I said that it was the superintendant and principals jobs to do the day to day running of the district. In my opinion that is correct. The school board doesn't step in and make day to day decisions, discipline teachers, set schedules, etc. They most definitely can "meddle" in the district's business however. That is what they are elected to do. Change the term if it makes it sound more politically correct. The school board controls the district.

They are elected to set policy and make sure that the superintendent is doing his job.  The board as a body controls the direction of the district through those two functions.  However many school boards take it upon themselves to be a de facto superintendent themselves.  Going further, many individual board members think that they are little dictators.  A board member has no power whatsoever as an individual yet this doesn't stop them from pushing their weight around.  Doing so is totally out of line. 

Still, I will say that school boards are the best option that exists today.  The better of several evils I guess. 

Guest etbu

"Meddling" in school business is NOT the job of the school board. Their job is to set policy, hire and fire the superintendent, and tax rate.  That is basically it. Their job is not to itemize how the money is spent.  If the supt is staying within the school budget then the board should have no say as to whether or not a certain brand of vehicle was bought.  And definitely the boards job is not to hire coaches.  The supt hires all staff under him/her.  NOT THE BOARD!

They are elected to set policy and make sure that the superintendent is doing his job.  The board as a body controls the direction of the district through those two functions.  However many school boards take it upon themselves to be a de facto superintendent themselves.  Going further, many individual board members think that they are little dictators.  A board member has no power whatsoever as an individual yet this doesn't stop them from pushing their weight around.  Doing so is totally out of line. 

Still, I will say that school boards are the best option that exists today.  The better of several evils I guess. 

Well said and yea we need Rick ("Gov ZooLander" C Baker) Perry sticking his nose into our business with school boards? No thanks

If you don't like the way the school board is running things, then run for one of the positions on the school board. They are elected by the people in that school district. Don't just sit back and gripe about it, or is it that the people in your school district don't think enough of you to ELECT YOU. One school board member is not enough to keep a teachers contract from being renewed. It takes a majority of the school board voting against that contract.

If you don't like the way the school board is running things, then run for one of the positions on the school board. They are elected by the people in that school district. Don't just sit back and gripe about it, or is it that the people in your school district don't think enough of you to ELECT YOU. One school board member is not enough to keep a teachers contract from being renewed. It takes a majority of the school board voting against that contract.

That is the deal. If the community doesn't like what the board is doing, vote them out. If a majority of the community agrees with how things are being run then there must not be much of a problem.

If you look at the Port Arthur school board for an example, they seem to change some of those members like playing musical chairs. The citizens don't like what is going on and keep changing them. Of course, it seems that they have yet to find five people that can make intelligent decisions but at least they keep kicking out the ones that they don't like.

I think the constiuents of the WOCCISD should take another look at those entrusted on the board and in the administration.  It does not look good for the future of the district.  Poor, poor leadership, and bad decisions.  How are there so many financial errors in a district that was once considered one of the richest in the state?  Now they are 6 mil in debt?  Something stinks in the state of Denmark....

What makes this sad is if you have a school district like North Forest, where you have DECADES of an imcompetent school board which bankrupts the school district.  The real losers in that district isn't the school board, but the kids.

All school board members need to keep the students and their ACADEMICS as the #1 factor in all their decisions.

That's true, Purple.  But when a football program has carried the bulk of the general fund for years and years and years and then there is mishandling of the funds....well, then, students AND teachers lose.  It seems like it's ok with everybody, too.  Noone gets in trouble when money is missing...if one of the companies on chemical row were run by some of the people running this district, someone would be FIRED!!!!!  Teachers can't say anything for fear of being fired....or reassigned!  It's sad to see such a former mighty and proud school be crumbling to a pile of rubble because of incompetent people at the reins.  So sad.....

That is sad that funds earned by the school from Friday night have been mishandled...

Just curious....

Friday night football is easily the #1 money making activity hosted by the school district (for most 4A and 5A schools that can pack in over 5,000 each home game).

Is that money put into the "general" fund of the school district, or is it kept seperate in the athletic budget?

There is no telling how much PNG made from the dynasty in the 70's.

I was told that a lot of the cash earned from those games was used to help build the new science wing.

When you get down to it...

The school board is probably the elected body that decides what happens to these funds earned by the student athletes.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder