Best Buna Cougars Baseball Team ever?

Best ever...? Buna's had some really good ballplayers over the years, most of which never made if this far. Granted, those teams played in different eras, so it's not really fair to compare this team with ones from the past. The thing that separates this team from others is not talent. Talent can only get you so far. For anyone who's watched them this year, you'll notice that they're scrappy as all get out. They'll get down in the dirt, they'll lay down the sac-bunt, they'll do whatever it takes to make it to the next game. They're not flashy, and sometimes (last weekend against NB) downright ugly. You give me heart and a will to get it done, and I'll take that every day over talent. If they beat a solid Hemphill squad next weekend in Jasper, move on to Austin, and hold their own representing the region in the state title game... We'll know this 08 Buna Cougar team was and is the best EVER to don the blue and white. 

Best ever...? Buna's had some really good ballplayers over the years, most of which never made if this far. Granted, those teams played in different eras, so it's not really fair to compare this team with ones from the past. The thing that separates this team from others is not talent. Talent can only get you so far. For anyone who's watched them this year, you'll notice that they're scrappy as all get out. They'll get down in the dirt, they'll lay down the sac-bunt, they'll do whatever it takes to make it to the next game. They're not flashy, and sometimes (last weekend against NB) downright ugly. You give me heart and a will to get it done, and I'll take that every day over talent. If they beat a solid Hemphill squad next weekend in Jasper, move on to Austin, and hold their own representing the region in the state title game... We'll know this 08 Buna Cougar team was and is the best EVER to don the blue and white. 

Ok let me go wipe my eyes now. ;) Well said.

The best Buna team ever bar none was the 1987 squad..with apologies to this years team. Just look at who they had. (for those who know Buna baseball) Michalsky, Rose, Hughes, Anthony, Gilcriest, Patrick, Cousins..ect.....they were unbelieveable. For those who can remember the team that beat them in the semis was San Augustine who went on to win state that year (san augustine 1987 still considered one of the greatest teams ever in this area) The 1991 team was good as well..but Ross was the one who really carried that team. the 1987 squad really had no weakness anywhere. I wish this years Buna team lots of luck..I hope they win it all...and they may have more heart than that 1987 team. But the forum is the best Buna team ever....in my opinion there is no doubt: 1987.

Guest larry mcgee

This 08 team is still very young. They were the frame work of the 07 team that went four rounds deep. They only graduate two starters this year so they should be a strong squad for a few more years......O and by the way good luck boys. 1 more and were going to STATE!!!!!!!

The '96 team was very good as well.  Started nine seniors for most district games, had numerous all-district (24-3a) selections and three all-state selections (Smith 1st Team, Hillin 3rd Team and Farr Honorable Mention) and Flanagan went on to some pro ball.  Lost to Mexia in a single game regional semi round.  Had there been 3-game playoffs at that time, I don't think anyone could match up to Smith and Flanagan as starting pitchers. 

I think when Tucker, Uribe, Webb were sophs, Delome was a fresh and they had a decent senior class was probably a better team. atleast more talented. They came in 2nd in district that year spliting with BC who had just moved down from 4A then in the playoffs beat Sealy coming back in game 3 down 5 in the last inning then dismantled a Talented HJ team in 2 games before losing to #4 ranked Elgin in  2 close games. This was when they were in 3A but I would love to see this team play.

I am sure all the teams mentioned above deserve SOME accolades, but I think y'all might want to speak to some of the old school Buna Cougar fans when trying to determine the best Cougar team ever.  I think the team that paved the way for all the future Cougar baseball teams was the 1984 team.  This team was district champs, bi-district champ, and area champs losing the regional game to Hudson by 1 run with a late inning homer.  The bating order for this team was incredible.  Every player on this team could hit the ball out of the park and did at one time or another.  Here are some of the players on that team and I will apologize in advance if I leave someone out.  I will go out on a limb and say that this team would have beat any of the other teams mentioned in this thread!!!!

Russell Delome

Robert Simmons

Joe Hawthorn

Stan DuBose

Randy Moss

Jamie Holmes

Tracy Franklin

Byron Johnson

Malcomb Patrick

Mark McMahon

Bubba Whitehead

Gary Harris

Billy Brown

David Ratcliff

The '91 team was pretty solid.  I would like to think that some of my (Class of '90, #16) mentoring and guidance helped that team to the level they reached. LOL!  A solid lefty starter and youth coming of age all following the lead of their catcher (Ross).  But this years boys have been down in 3 of their 6 playoff wins, with only 1 blowout win.  They just never say die.  The mark of a true champion. These boys should know, the whole town of Buna is behind them.  Jasper will be packed with blue and white come Thursday night. 

That 1984 team was very good..but without Simmons on the mound I am not sure they would have went that far. In 1987, before the playoffs, Buna beat the eventual champions San Augustine, by a score of 1-0. (proving that they could beat the state champions) It was the only loss San Augustine would suffer all year. Scotty Rose was on the hill and was masterful. The 1984 and 1987 teams match up very well position by position, however, I think the 1987 team led by Brian Michaslky and Scott Anthony was a little bit better.

Guest ASISEEIT

Were the past teams that are being compared 3a?  If so, can't really compare the two..  Best of luck to this years squad..

Guest A-TOWN

Ok let me go wipe my eyes now. ;) Well said.

:'( :'( :'( :'(

That 1984 team was very good..but without Simmons on the mound I am not sure they would have went that far. In 1987, before the playoffs, Buna beat the eventual champions San Augustine, by a score of 1-0. (proving that they could beat the state champions) It was the only loss San Augustine would suffer all year. Scotty Rose was on the hill and was masterful. The 1984 and 1987 teams match up very well position by position, however, I think the 1987 team led by Brian Michaslky and Scott Anthony was a little bit better.

Are you kidding me.  Simmons was outstanding no doubt, but they had two other pitchers that could hold their own against any team.  Lefty, Jamie Holmes and Russell Delome could throw just as hard as Robert Simmons and probably had better control.  Then there was Stan DuBose and Joe Hawthorn in the middle (a double play machine). Tracy Franklin at third, Randy Moss catching and batting over 500 in district.  Every last kid on that team was a player.  Somebody call Mike Rogers and asked him!!!!

I think Simmons was the dominant pitcher in 1984 just like Scotty Rose was in 1987. As far as being strong up the middle, its hard to argue against that 1987 team..Michalsky (all state at short) and Hughes (played for St.Edwards Univ.) at second. Combine that with Martin Patrick at third and Bucky Gilcriest at first, two power sticks at the corners, and you have an infield that is beyond good. Scott Anthony in center set the record for most homeruns as a sophmore! In 1987 he was a polished senior. With Scotty Rose on the hill the 1987 Buna Cougars were the second best team in state in 3A. Only San Augustine, considered that year to be one of the best teams in the nation as well as Texas, could beat them. Lets not kid ourselves, they were both great teams. its all a matter of opinion now. GO COUGARS 08!

I know for a fact that scott anthony did not hold the homerun record.  I am not sure what team you guy think was the best but the 84 team was pretty good if I recall Jamey Holmes and Tracy Franklin hit more than the anthony kid I am not taking anything away from him but he did not hold the record at buna.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder