Should MLB use instant replay?

Should MLB use instant replay?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should MLB use instant replay?

• Yes (lets get the call right)
    • No (i'm a baseball purist)

Should MLB implement instant replay in todays game?  That has been a hot topic in recent years and now in the past few weeks.  Several calls have been made that instant replay couldve fixed, but baseball is still stuck in the past.  I think instant replay can work in baseball.  If they only use it for home run calls and fair/foul calls (not balls and strikes and plays on the bases), i think it would work and work very well and efficient.  For those who vote or so no, please post on here the possible downsides to doing it because i dont see any... Getting the call right, yeah, they'd get it right almost every time with instant replay versus using their judgment looking at a split second play from 100-200 feet away.  Time?  I think it'd actually be quicker.  It would take 30 seconds or less under the hood to see if some of those home runs are legit.  In the time they spend getting together and figuring out the call, they couldve already used instant replay and got the call right, and it would actually be quicker.  I would like to hear the baseball purists on the board who vote no, because i'm having a hard time finding a reason not to use instant replay.

Source: Baseball might try replay in Arizona Fall League

Major League Baseball is making tentative plans to experiment with instant replay in the Arizona Fall League, according to a baseball official with knowledge of those discussions.

If that experiment proves practical and successful, MLB then is likely to continue the experiment next March during the World Baseball Classic and spring-training games.

If no insurmountable problems arise, baseball could begin using replay -- though only to decide home run calls -- as soon as next season.

What is yet to be determined is whether calls would be reviewed by a "replay umpire" in each stadium, as the National Football League does, or in the MLB offices in New York, a system that would more resemble the National Hockey League.

Calls for some kind of instant replay system for home runs have arisen following a string of questionable home run calls by umpires.

On Sunday night, umpires at Yankee Stadium reversed their correct call and concluded a shot by Carlos Delgado of the Mets was foul.

A night later, umps in Houston mistakenly ruled a ball hit by the Cubs' Geovany Soto off a center-field wall was in play when it should have been a home run. Soto turned the hit into an inside-the-park home run anyway.

And on Wednesday night, a ball hit by Alex Rodriguez that struck a stairway beyond the outfield fence and bounced back into the outfield was ruled a double when it should have been a home run.

Last November, general managers voted 25-5 to try replay on boundary calls -- whether possible homers are fair or foul, if balls actually clear fences, whether there's fan interference. The recommendation went to commissioner Bud Selig, but had no binding effect or time frame. Nor did it offer a recommendation on how it would be implemented.

Should MLB implement instant replay in todays game?  That has been a hot topic in recent years and now in the past few weeks.  Several calls have been made that instant replay couldve fixed, but baseball is still stuck in the past.  I think instant replay can work in baseball.  If they only use it for home run calls and fair/foul calls (not balls and strikes and plays on the bases), i think it would work and work very well and efficient.  For those who vote or so no, please post on here the possible downsides to doing it because i dont see any... Getting the call right, yeah, they'd get it right almost every time with instant replay versus using their judgment looking at a split second play from 100-200 feet away.  Time?  I think it'd actually be quicker.  It would take 30 seconds or less under the hood to see if some of those home runs are legit.  In the time they spend getting together and figuring out the call, they couldve already used instant replay and got the call right, and it would actually be quicker.  I would like to hear the baseball purists on the board who vote no, because i'm having a hard time finding a reason not to use instant replay.

In a 162 game season bad calls even out, like old girlfriends. I see enough replays, how many times do I have to watch a guy steal 2nd base form 15 different angles.

You might sale me on using the camera in the World Series where a call could change the outcome in such a short series.

I want Lou Pinella kicking dirt, throwing the bases, not throwing some red flag from the dugout like the sissy's in the NFL.   

I'm opposed to it simply because of the time it will add to the game.  They're already thrre + hours long now and approaching 4 hours in the playoffs.  And MLB is on this kick to quicken games as much as they can - so these two ideas are contradictory.

Guest astrosfan75956

Saying that calls even out over the season is rediculous because you are admitting that there are enough errors by the umpires to even out. That alone is reason for instant replay!

I'm opposed to it simply because of the time it will add to the game.  They're already thrre + hours long now and approaching 4 hours in the playoffs.  And MLB is on this kick to quicken games as much as they can - so these two ideas are contradictory.

I don't think it adds any time to the game... beeninnikes is right.  if you can immediately correct it in the booth, you don't have five minutes of umpire/manager "discussion" over whether the call was right.  This is an opportunity for the umps to get these calls right, as the replay will always be definitive.  As long as they don't try to start replaying balls and strikes, or diving catches in the outfield, or bang bang plays at first, i think this will be good for the game. 

I could see where it could help in calling fall balls and fair balls but then agian it would cause problems.

Baserunners wouldnt know what to do.

I just dont want baseball to end up like the nfl.

Its like the communist are running it.

Every other play is reviewed. There is a penalty flag thrown every other play!

You cant touch the quaterback!

I loved watching espn classic and watching some of the early games where it was head to head smash mouth football.

You see more action watching womens figure skating.

Come on coop you know what im talking about!

I don't think it adds any time to the game... beeninnikes is right.  if you can immediately correct it in the booth, you don't have five minutes of umpire/manager "discussion" over whether the call was right.  This is an opportunity for the umps to get these calls right, as the replay will always be definitive.  As long as they don't try to start replaying balls and strikes, or diving catches in the outfield, or bang bang plays at first, i think this will be good for the game. 

Good point the time the managers take 2 talk or argue with the umpires would be the same amount of time that it would take 2 review a play.......there has been at least 10 plays in the last 2 weeks that could have used instant replay.........

also, with all of the crazy dimensions that some of the parks have now, i think replay will help.  look at minute maid.  there are places where the ball can hit wall on one side of the line and be in play, 3 inches to the right and it's a homer. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder