USFA SQ in Orange - May 3-4

Homer

I think I know why everyone was so moody this weekend.  The bathrooms there at that park were the most disgusting that I have come across in a long time.  I tend to get a little pissy when sewer backs up thru the floor on to my feet when I flush. 

As far as the girls blocking the bases, they are still learning.  They havent been around all that long.  Dont always assume that these girls are trying to play dirty.

Somehow you've still missed the point of the whole thing...you've got to WANT to learn and do what's right for all the girls safety and the good of the game.

MB, The problem with your original post was that in this line you act as if people from Houston don't make these comments. "My girls play mostly in the Houston area, and as a a matter of fact this was the first tournament we attended in SET in several years."

Let me relate a story to ya.

Several years ago we were playing in Nationals in Broken Arrow Ok. against the Texas Sting (a Houston Team) when my baby girl slid in home, breaking her ankle. Almost everyone of them cheered the fact that she had injured herself. Now that my friend is class. I did invite all of them to come down on the field and discuss it with me, but they declined. Now one could deduce that all folks from Houston are classless, and I could have went on some Houston forum and told them so, but I realized it was probably an isolated problem. No since painting the whole town with a broad brush. In fact we later played with some pretty good folks from that town. It is hard to believe your comments could be taken any other way than they were, the way they were intended.

Fair enough, but I thought I was pretty clear with the "...not that it doesn't happen elsewhere, but in 10 years that's the first time..." comment.  It was the first time I've heard it, but I didn't say it was the first time anyone said it.  I'm sure some of you have pretty much seen it all, only to get something new at the next tournament.  And no, I'm not calling you know-it-alls.   ;)

I live in Beaumont, by the way, so I'm not a city slicker pointing a finger.  I'll try to figure out that bold function next time to help with the emphasis on my post. I guess this proves my wife is correct in that I'm the one with the communication problem!

You already said you were called and told so you still havent heard what was said you have made a page and 1/2 of post on something you did not witness for your self.

MB, The problem with your original post was that in this line you act as if people from Houston don't make these comments. "My girls play mostly in the Houston area, and as a a matter of fact this was the first tournament we attended in SET in several years."

Let me relate a story to ya.

Several years ago we were playing in Nationals in Broken Arrow Ok. against the Texas Sting (a Houston Team) when my baby girl slid in home, breaking her ankle. Almost everyone of them cheered the fact that she had injured herself. Now that my friend is class. I did invite all of them to come down on the field and discuss it with me, but they declined. Now one could deduce that all folks from Houston are classless, and I could have went on some Houston forum and told them so, but I realized it was probably an isolated problem. No since painting the whole town with a broad brush. In fact we later played with some pretty good folks from that town. It is hard to believe your comments could be taken any other way than they were, the way they were intended.

Fair enough, but I thought I was pretty clear with the "...not that it doesn't happen elsewhere, but in 10 years that's the first time..." comment.  It was the first time I've heard it, but I didn't say it was the first time anyone said it.  I'm sure some of you have pretty much seen it all, only to get something new at the next tournament.  And no, I'm not calling you know-it-alls.   ;)

I live in Beaumont, by the way, so I'm not a city slicker pointing a finger.  I'll try to figure out that bold function next time to help with the emphasis on my post. I guess this proves my wife is correct in that I'm the one with the communication problem!

You already said you were called and told so you still havent heard what was said you have made a page and 1/2 of post on something you did not witness for your self.

Slam explained the situation well- with facts, not innuendo and denial.  Good luck to all.       

It was a good tournament.  A group of 11-12 years olds gave most teams more than they wanted.

Those Young Crush gals of Collins group, did not know they were suppose to lose.  In the end they

did, however, they played like Champion during the whole tournament.  They will be the next OCG

team, and not to long in the future.

Congratulations to Thompson's group and Cole's.  I thought we were going ITB, until that young

lady smached a two run homer.

Both pitchers pitched extremely well.

Great tournament.

DAMan could you once again try to explain the obstruction rule as you have done so many times.

While you're at it, please explain the rules surrounding the concept of sportmanship.  In a couple of weeks I'll be back to working youth ball and will expect participants and fans to adhere to them.  After this spring, my tolerance level is about -2.  ;)

DAMan could you once again try to explain the obstruction rule as you have done so many times.

While you're at it, please explain the rules surrounding the concept of sportmanship.  In a couple of weeks I'll be back to working youth ball and will expect participants and fans to adhere to them.  After this spring, my tolerance level is about -2.   ;)

Even if you tolerance level is -2, you would never show it on the field.  You would still call what you see, and

see what you call.

OBSTRUCTION:

Plain and simple.  Impeding the progress of a runner without the ball in defensive persons possession.

Standing on a base, forcing a runner to turn wide, stop, alter their path, without the ball is OBS.

Putting foot in the middle of the base on an attempted pickoff attempt is OBS.  Defender has dictated

to the runner that they must go to left or right.  Offensive player is entitled to the entire base, not just

the portion the defender wants them to have.

Covering HP on passed ball, standing directly in front of the plate awaiting the ball is OBS.

SS going to 2B to cover on attempted steal, without the ball collides with the runner causing her to

change her course, is OBS.

To block a base, the defender must have the ball in their possession, not merely awaiting for the throw.

Protection:  A runner can never be put out between the two bases the OBS occured, unless properly

appealed for missing a base, leaving a base before a fly ball is touched, or the runner committed an act

of inteference after the OBS or passes another runner.  When the OBS first occurrs, the umpire that

calls the OBS must determine what base the runner will be entitled to.  Should the runner be put out

beyond what the umpire had determined, then they would remain out.

Example:  Batter hits a shot to LC, both F7 and F8 having difficulties catching up to the ball.  BR isOBS by F3 rounding 1B.  OBS signalled, BR is thrown out at 3rd on a very close play.  Umpire rules runner safe

at 3B.  In is judgement, that is the base she would have reached had there not been OBS.

I think I know why everyone was so moody this weekend.  The bathrooms there at that park were the most disgusting that I have come across in a long time.  I tend to get a little pissy when sewer backs up thru the floor on to my feet when I flush. 

As far as the girls blocking the bases, they are still learning.  They havent been around all that long.  Dont always assume that these girls are trying to play dirty.

Somehow you've still missed the point of the whole thing...you've got to WANT to learn and do what's right for all the girls safety and the good of the game.

I don't remember saying that we don't WANT to learn or we don't WANT to do whats right for the girls safety or the good of the game.  I was trying to say that those of us that are less superior as you don't know all the rules of the game yet.  Like I said, we are still learning.

I don't remember saying that we don't WANT to learn or we don't WANT to do whats right for the girls safety or the good of the game.  I was trying to say that those of us that are less superior as you don't know all the rules of the game yet.  Like I said, we are still learning.

BINGO!   finally.  You didn't say it, but you left it up in the air.

We too, and certainly I, still have a ton to learn about this game.  I learn and see something new every tournament.  But my point was that in two consecutive innings this rule and concern was discussed between the opposing (Crush) coaches and the umpiring crew.  They were not arguing any points, just trying to draw the whole group into discussing what the situation was.  To my knowledge you never got involved.   

BINGO!   finally.  You didn't say it, but you left it up in the air.

We too, and certainly I, still have a ton to learn about this game.  I learn and see something new every tournament.  But my point was that in two consecutive innings this rule and concern was discussed between the opposing (Crush) coaches and the umpiring crew.  They were not arguing any points, just trying to draw the whole group into discussing what the situation was.  To my knowledge you never got involved.   

I don't recall ever being asked to join in any discussion. That may be issue within itself. I have a great respect for the umpires crew and the job they do.

Maybe we should drop this discussion and move on from here. There are more issues we could bring up but I will leave it there. Thanks, another lesson learned. Good Luck to the Crush.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder