UT Impresses Silsbee's Jeremy Johnson

Rivals.com

The Texas Longhorns 2009 recruiting class has been filling up at an unbelievable rate since signing day. Last weekend, the Longhorns played host to some of 2010's top in state prospects, showing off everything the program has to offer with at yearly spring game. One of the top sophomore prospects on hand was Silsbee quarterback Jeremy Johnson and the 6-2, 173-pound fleet-footed quarterback took in Austin.

If the Longhorns were hoping to make a big impression, then it was a mission accomplished.

"I went to Texas for their spring game," Johnson said. "I went last weekend on the 29th with my dad. I liked it, man. I liked the atmosphere. It's a big place. All of the coaches are cool down there. I was the only sophomore quarterback at the spring game. I talked to Major Applewhite. He told me how excited he was that I came down and he talked to me about coming to their camp this summer,"

Johnson is coming off of a season in which he completed 94 of 175 passes (10 INT's) for 1,675 yards and 17 touchdowns, as well as rushing for 621 yards and nine scores. The tremendous sophomore campaign earned him 21-3A sophomore of the year honors.

It comes without surprise that colleges programs are beginning to take notice.

"Georgia and Texas have come by. Houston too. I'm going to Texas, U of H (brother plays there) and maybe OU camps," Johnson said.

Johnson, who is currently competing for the Silsbee track team, says he watched the quarterbacks closely and was impressed by their technique.

"Their technique is good. They lead the team and know what is going on with all of the players. I was impressed watching them," Johnson said.

The junior-to-be, who lists the Miami Hurricanes as his childhood favorite, says his father, Byron Johnson, came away very impressed.

"He really liked it. He wants me to go to Texas." Johnson said.

The Golden Triangle area star in the making will be competing for a spot in the 3A regional meet on the track this weekend in the 200-meters (best time of 22.3), 800-meter relay and 400-meter relay. He already posted a 21'2" long jump good for third in the district meet.

Is his dad "The Byron Johnson" from Buna.  If so, he has great genes.  There were some classic battles between him and Bryan McZeal back in the day.

Yes.  I have been watching the kid since middle school and he can be special IF he stays focused.  A lot of pressure already starting for a current sophomore.

Guest tigersvoice

wow...sounds like I need to see this cat play.

Yes, Dayton, he's good.  You may need to see more than one game but if you see two, I guarantee you that he will do something "Michael Vickish" (meaning on the football field and not in the backwoods) in one of the games.

Is his dad "The Byron Johnson" from Buna.  If so, he has great genes.  There were some classic battles between him and Bryan McZeal back in the day.

Played against his father since the 8th grade and we only beat Buna(as a class) once.  He was shut down when we were Jrs.(McZeal senior year) but ran over us again the next year but we only lost by a touchdown.  Based on his son's stats, however, he should be a preseason All-Stater/All-American if a certain DE/LB from MC can get the same recognition with less impressive stats......

wow...sounds like I need to see this cat play.

Yes, Dayton, he's good.  You may need to see more than one game but if you see two, I guarantee you that he will do something "Michael Vickish" (meaning on the football field and not in the backwoods) in one of the games.

The only thing I'd like him to do that was "Michael Vickish" is run like him. Jeremy needs to be a better passer and leader. If he can improve on is passing from last year. Man oh man. Go Tigers!!!

Jeremy Johnson is a great passer but you have to look at his age he is young but his stats are IMPRESSIVE. I been to everyone of his game since he been in high school beside (Silsbee/Jasper) game. He will only get better I promise you that and you will be seeing him playing at 12 noon on Saturdays in 3 years.

Guest 87CRU79

I saw the kid play at the Nederland v Silsbee scrimmage last year, he is very mobile and a rocket. With some fine tuning of his mechanics and a few work outs at some camps in the next couple of years, he should be a highly sought after prospect.

Guest tigersvoice

Jeremy Johnson is a great passer but you have to look at his age he is young but his stats are IMPRESSIVE. I been to everyone of his game since he been in high school beside (Silsbee/Jasper) game. He will only get better I promise you that and you will be seeing him playing at 12 noon on Saturdays in 3 years.

Master T, whaaaaat?  Are you his agent?  Let the guy have some fun.  He's a Junior next season (what is that - age 16 or 17 at most) - why are YOU slapping the pressure on him with YOUR promises.  Let him develop; there is plenty of time for you to lead the band when he gets there.

Master T, whaaaaat?  Are you his agent?  Let the guy have some fun.  He's a Junior next season (what is that - age 16 or 17 at most) - why are YOU slapping the pressure on him with YOUR promises.  Let him develop; there is plenty of time for you to lead the band when he gets there.

I wasn't trying to jump the gun like that. I was just saying I believe this kid got alot of potential to do big thing in the future

He is only a soph and all the big time football schools (U.T., A&M, LSU, Alabama  ect...) are impressive to anyone especially a 16 year old kid.  One thing he will have to look out for is those empty promises that will be made by some of these schools as he grows as gains experience as a player.  I did not realize this was Byron's kid.  I played with him (Byron) in high school and he is a great guy.  So, the advantage Jeremy has is that his old man will keep him on the straight and narrow and put anyone on the road that does not have the best intentions for his son!!!!  Byron if you read this I was # 31 and blocked for you out of the backfield when you were a jr.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder