*NEUMANN STAYING AT NEDERLAND*

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bucof2010.....

Hope you are right..Now the DOGS can focus on what is important...WINNING DISTRICT next season and getting back into the play-offs. This whole episode should serve to motivate the players and then fans. I CAN"T WAIT TILL FOOTBALL ROLLS AROUND

Congrats nederland.

I think there's 2 coaches in this area that are going nowhere Coach Neauman and Coach Barbay will work at their respective schools untill they retire mark my word on that one.

You can probably add Coach Hooks to that list too..

Congrats to Coach Neumann for finally getting what he deserves. I want to ask a serious question. Do most of you think that he was really ever leaving ? Was it a business tactic ? The more I think about the few Lamarque games that I have witnessed,  I feel like there would have been a SERIOUS personality clash between Neumann and Lamarque. ???

Vincent withdraws name from La Marque search

By Joshua Buckley

The Daily News

Published April 3, 2008

LA MARQUE ? The search for the next La Marque High School athletic director and head football coach took a dramatic turn on Wednesday, when Flower Mound defensive coordinator Chuck Vincent withdrew his name from consideration hours after being offered the position.

Vincent, the defensive coordinator for the Cougars in 2006, said La Marque superintendent Ecomet Burley offered him the job Wednesday morning. But Burley called Vincent back later in the afternoon to tell him that he was putting the decision on hold.

When Burley told Vincent he was pulling back the job offer to think about the decision for a little longer, Vincent elected to take his name out of the running.

“It is pretty disappointing,†Vincent said. “I was ready to take my new defensive coordinator and my wife down to La Marque on Friday. Then he called me back and told me he had to do some more research.

“I said, ‘Timeout.’ I’m not going to do this if he’s going to be half-hearted about it. If he’s that way now, what’s it going to be like the first time he doesn’t like something that happens on the football field? At that point, I told him I was taking my name out of the running.â€

Burley could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

Vincent is the second candidate to remove his name from the La Marque coaching search. Nederland head coach Larry Neumann pulled out of the running Tuesday.

In a report in Wednesday’s Port Arthur News, Neumann said he elected to stay at Nederland after the superintendent promised to raise his base salary from $78,000 to about $92,000 a year.

The three other finalists for the position are Dallas Kimball head coach Darrell Jordan, Aldine Nimitz head coach David Suggs and Grapevine head coach Gary Mullins.

La Marque fans were familiar with Vincent from his stint as the Cougars’ defensive coordinator in 2006. La Marque won the state championship that season, in large part because of Vincent’s aggressive defense, which allowed an average of 10 points in the final 12 games of the season.

Vincent has been an assistant football coach for 21 years, including defensive coordinator at Marcus this past season.

Many La Marque fans were hopeful Vincent would get the job based on his performance at La Marque in ’06. But Vincent said he was certain that Neumann was the leading candidate for the vacancy after the list of 34 applicants was narrowed to five finalists.

Vincent said Neumann dropping out prompted Burley to call him and offer the job. However, Vincent said Burley put the search on hold, because he had concerns about the coach’s emphasis on teaching.

“He told me that he remembered a P.E. class I was teaching last year and had concerns about me putting teaching first,†Vincent said. “I told him that I thought teachers had to be teachers first before athletics. I had told the people I intended to bring for my staff the same thing ? the classroom duties come before anything else.

“I’m not sure what made (Burley) change his mind. I don’t think this was handled the right way at all.â€

Vincent will remain on the staff for Erwin, who left La Marque for Flower Mound Marcus after winning the Class 4A, Division II state championship in 2006.

“After I told Burley I was taking my name out of the running, I walked back in to the athletic office and told Coach Erwin that I’m a Marauder,†Vincent said. “I’m here now, and it’s a done deal.

“All I can tell the La Marque fans is good luck.â€

Vincent said he expected Jordan to be offered the job later that day.

Jordan took over as head coach at Kimball in 2001. In his seven years there, he has a 52-29 record and has advanced to the playoffs each season.

La Marque is searching for a new athletic director and head football coach after Chris Jones resigned from those positions Feb. 15, after just one season with the team. The Cougars went 9-3 under Jones and failed to advance to the regional finals for the first time in six years.

The next La Marque school board meeting is set for April 10. Any hire for the position will likely be made at that meeting.

I'm glad Vincent took a stance on education! Kids are in school to learn first and play second! Good for him!

The article has so many angles......the problem was it was said that Vincent DIDNT TEACH much in the PE class....when he was previously at LMISD. The sup wanted to know how he felt about teaching.....i.e.  his philosophy on education......LM's problem isnt football....heck I could coach those kids.....but its the education which is way more important than state championships.......stay tuned this will continue to unfold.....

Guest Penny

He's won 10 consecutive Bi-District championships and 4 consecutive Regional Finals appearances, with one Semi Finals appearance in that string... dude get over it.  The guy is dang good.

Never said he wasn't dang good.  Just asked if Coach Neumann ever won an outright district championship while at Nederland.  And I guess the answer is No.  Back in the day a team had to win its district just to get in the playoffs.  I guess district championships aren't important anymore.  It's all about bi-district and what our 2nd place team can do against your third 3rd place team. 

It's just a little funny (and sad) seeing how worried Nederland was about possibly losing a football coach.  One day Coach Neumann is going to leave, quit, or retire for real.  And when that day does come, I'm sure Nederland will be able to find someone else who can coach the football team.   

It's just a little funny (and sad) seeing how worried Nederland was about possibly losing a football coach.  One day Coach Neumann is going to leave, quit, or retire for real.   And when that day does come, I'm sure Nederland will be able to find someone else who can coach the football team.   

What is funny or sad about football fans worrying about losing their coach? I wonder if the people in Newton will be unconcerned if Coach Barbay decides to drag up one day. I guess that WO-S fans really don't care about Dan Hooks one way or the other and certainly aren't worried about having to look for his replacement. Realistically, the WO-S fans will and have burned up the boards when a favorite assistant coach is either leaving or returning. Boy, they must be goofy over there at WO-S, right?

That is just the nature of sports. If you have a successful coach, you are worried about him leaving. If you have a coach that is not so successful, you worry that he will not leave. Neumann has been more successful than any other coach in Nederland history in terms of wins and winning seasons. Nederland has a great record with Neumann whether you include playoffs or not. In his 15 years of coaching the Bulldogs, Neumann has not had a losing season. That is a great accomplishment for any coach that has nothing to do with 2 or 3 teams making the playoffs.

92 G's per eh?  I know this, he'd better come up with a more sound defensive coach/scheme/players to back up that salary.  Being near the bottom in defense as of late doesn't justify the pay.  Now y'all have a coach salary wise in the top 15 or so of all Texas coaches....

Guest Penny

Great McAnwser for McFan... some folks just don't get it.  And no, if I'm playing in the freakin State Semi-finals with four other teams left in my classification, hell no I couldn't care less if I won the District Championship.

You should be on a Bud Light commercial... I'd give you a "... Dude..."

It's just a little funny (and sad) seeing how worried Nederland was about possibly losing a football coach.  One day Coach Neumann is going to leave, quit, or retire for real.   And when that day does come, I'm sure Nederland will be able to find someone else who can coach the football team.   

What is funny or sad about football fans worrying about losing their coach? I wonder if the people in Newton will be unconcerned if Coach Barbay decides to drag up one day. I guess that WO-S fans really don't care about Dan Hooks one way or the other and certainly aren't worried about having to look for his replacement. Realistically, the WO-S fans will and have burned up the boards when a favorite assistant coach is either leaving or returning. Boy, they must be goofy over there at WO-S, right?

That is just the nature of sports. If you have a successful coach, you are worried about him leaving. If you have a coach that is not so successful, you worry that he will not leave. Neumann has been more successful than any other coach in Nederland history in terms of wins and winning seasons. Nederland has a great record with Neumann whether you include playoffs or not. In his 15 years of coaching the Bulldogs, Neumann has not had a losing season. That is a great accomplishment for any coach that has nothing to do with 2 or 3 teams making the playoffs.

It would be very difficult to find one person who would disagree with LaMarque's decision to seek out the best coach available for their storied program. Being a finalist for that job, says alot about Coach Nuemann. 

92 G's per eh?  I know this, he'd better come up with a more sound defensive coach/scheme/players to back up that salary.  Being near the bottom in defense as of late doesn't justify the pay.  Now y'all have a coach salary wise in the top 15 or so of all Texas coaches....

What i would like to see is SFA85DA say somthing positive about anything, I know you have it out for Nederland and that fine.  What you need to find is a team for yourself, and do somthing odd........support them.

Get a life get off of Nederland for awhile

It's just a little funny (and sad) seeing how worried Nederland was about possibly losing a football coach.  One day Coach Neumann is going to leave, quit, or retire for real.  And when that day does come, I'm sure Nederland will be able to find someone else who can coach the football team.   

It would be very difficult to find one person who would disagree with LaMarque's decision to seek out the best coach available for their storied program. Being a finalist for that job, says alot about Coach Nuemann. 

LaMarque wanted Neumann!

It's just a little funny (and sad) seeing how worried Nederland was about possibly losing a football coach.  One day Coach Neumann is going to leave, quit, or retire for real.   And when that day does come, I'm sure Nederland will be able to find someone else who can coach the football team.   

LaMarque wanted Neumann!

and Suggs and Vincent..........

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder